BCM
User Panel

Page / 29
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The governor didn't do any work, he signed the bill.

People who were fed up are the ones who put in the work and spent lots of time with the legislators making sure things got taken care of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Realize Gov. Abbot did that knowing most of you hated him and would actively work against him.  That’s more, real, pro-RKBA legislation in a single session than Texas has ever seen.  Most progress i’ve seen since I started watching - and the guy doing it knew most of you would support his challenger in a primary.

The governor didn't do any work, he signed the bill.

People who were fed up are the ones who put in the work and spent lots of time with the legislators making sure things got taken care of.

Even though Texas by the Texas Constitution has a ‘weak governor’, the governor does have a pretty big bully pulpit. Abbott early on said he supported and would sign Constitutional Carry. Not something like ‘well if it gets to my desk I will sign it’.

Behind the scenes Abbott did quite a bit of work helping us get Constitutional Carry through, when Patrick was saying ‘I don’t have the votes’ not only were we calling those senators to get them to support HB 1927, but Abbott and his staff were too. Abbott and his staff did a lot of work getting Constitutional Carry passed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Then his political career would have ended.

View Quote

Hardly.  You seem to live in a fantasy world where you’re angry at people who are taking heat to help you.  Which you know, if that’s your specific fantasy, rock on; but it seems like an unhappy fantasy to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hardly.  You seem to live in a fantasy world where you’re angry at people who are taking heat to help you.  Which you know, if that’s your specific fantasy, rock on; but it seems like an unhappy fantasy to me.
View Quote

Sure, he can piss off his primary voter base and survive politically
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sure, he can piss off his primary voter base and survive politically
View Quote

Do you think gun voters are the primary voter base that keeps him in office?  This is more of a “How crazy are you” question than an actual question by the way.

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you think gun voters are the primary voter base that keeps him in office?  This is more of a “How crazy are you” question than an actual question by the way.

View Quote

Pro 2nd people will potentially vote for him.

Anti 2nd people won't no matter what he does, they'll blindly vote for whatever runs with a D next to their name.

So simple even you can understand.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gun voters would make a difference in a real tight election, like 2-3% points. Where gun voters make a HUGE difference is in House seats, out knocking on doors, walking the blocks. They maybe small but very motivated, many of us gun owners from California really understand what the state can do to gun owners.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pro 2nd people will potentially vote for him.

Anti 2nd people won't no matter what he does, they'll blindly vote for whatever runs with a D next to their name.

So simple even you can understand.
View Quote

Well, that kind of reductionism probably makes you feel better but its wrong.  I personally know multiple people who hate guns and voted for Abbott (and Beto, for what’s that worth).  Not just voted; but lawyers who went out and worked.  Not everyone sees the world through your eyes.  Which you know, can be a plus or minus,  Don’s assessment is dead on.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:50:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, that kind of reductionism probably makes you feel better but its wrong.  I personally know multiple people who hate guns and voted for Abbott (and Beto, for what’s that worth).  Not just voted; but lawyers who went out and worked.  Not everyone sees the world through your eyes.  Which you know, can be a plus or minus,  Don’s assessment is dead on.
View Quote

You're an odd person of low value.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people are never satisfied and it's a waste of oxygen to try to convince them otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Ty for that link.

Hking
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Even though Texas by the Texas Constitution has a ‘weak governor’, the governor does have a pretty big bully pulpit. Abbott early on said he supported and would sign Constitutional Carry. Not something like ‘well if it gets to my desk I will sign it’.

Behind the scenes Abbott did quite a bit of work helping us get Constitutional Carry through, when Patrick was saying ‘I don’t have the votes’ not only were we calling those senators to get them to support HB 1927, but Abbott and his staff were too. Abbott and his staff did a lot of work getting Constitutional Carry passed.
View Quote

Indeed.  While it wasn't a priority bill for him or the LTG at the start of the session, once the momentum started on CC, both of them got behind it, and helped push it through.

There are a 1000 ways a bill can die or be killed - if either of them wanted CC to not pass, it wouldn't have.

From a gun rights standpoint, both Gov. Abbott and LTG Patrick are who should be supported next year, and than includes the primaries too.

Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Mad Mommies are crying in their boxed wine.

BREAKING: TEXAS GOV. GREG ABBOTT SIGNS DANGEROUS PERMITLESS CARRY BILL INTO LAW
Help us oppose reckless gun laws nationwide. Make a donation right now >>

despite recent surges in gun violence across the country, the gun lobby is successfully pushing state legislatures nationwide to dismantle common-sense gun safety measures and advance reckless gun bills.

This week, Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed a permitless carry bill into law that will allow people to carry hidden, loaded handguns in public without a background check or any safety training.

Breaking: Texas Governor Greg Abbott just signed permitless carry into law.

Just in the past few months, Iowa, Montana, Tennessee, and Utah have all enacted permitless carry laws, and more could be passed soon.

Our grassroots volunteers have been working relentlessly to oppose these bills in states across the country, and it's clear the gun lobby will stop at nothing to advance their extreme agenda. We're counting on your support at this critical moment.

Holding lawmakers accountable, defeating reckless gun lobby-backed bills, and working every day to end gun violence will take all the resources we can get. Can we count on you to make an urgent donation to Everytown and Moms Demand Action?

If you've saved your payment information with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately by clicking one of the dollar amounts:

Thank you for all that you do,

Everytown for Gun Safety

View Quote

One of the dozens of things that impressed me about the GOA Texas crew was that I never once got asked for money by them.

Zero emails asking for money, zero mentions of it during the weekly calls, and they sprung for the meals for the 100 of us at both the House and Senate hearings.

I'm of the mind that the more an outfit asks me for money after I've donated, the less I give them.  So I send a grand over to them for their work, and for not begging for money.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

One of the dozens of things that impressed me about the GOA Texas crew was that I never once got asked for money by them.

Zero emails asking for money, zero mentions of it during the weekly calls, and they sprung for the meals for the 100 of us at both the House and Senate hearings.

I'm of the mind that the more an outfit asks me for money after I've donated, the less I give them.  So I send a grand over to them for their work, and for not begging for money.
View Quote

what's a good link for their site, especially for someone that wants to join?
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can choose your membership level here.

https://donate.gunowners.org/join/
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://donate.gunowners.org/donations/texas/

To what extent a donation via this site vs. the other one helps fund GOA Texas compared to the overall organization, I don't know, but it can't hurt to use this one to try to keep the money for Texas stuff.

Good man for the donation - they did a whale of a job this session.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a fundraising letter from Dan Patrick in the mail today.  One of the listed accomplishments is CC, as it should be, and ties into my thought all along that he and the others decided that: "if you can't stop it, champion it", and now are running on passing CC.

I'll send him a few bucks - he's weaselly-er than a Republican Texas LTG needs to be on guns, but in the end he delivered, and it would be a disaster if some leftist was in charge of the Texas Senate in 2023.  

Same for your Reps and Senators - they can fund raise now that the regular session is over, and I got a note from my Rep about a donation today.  Now's the time to close the loop as they say, and throw a few bucks in to them, with comments about you are pleased they passed so many good pro-gun bills this session.

Page / 29
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top