Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 29
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Turns out this week most of the legislators offices are closed for the week, so I do not expect the governor to sign HB 1927 until early next week. I think there will be some sort of ceremonial signing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]

still hasn't signed it
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

still hasn't signed it
View Quote

With a tweet like that, it would be political suicide not to at this point.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless I'm badly mistaken, today makes ten days since HB-1927 hit Abbott's desk.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless I'm badly mistaken, today makes ten days since HB-1927 hit Abbott's desk.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16397/10thday-2_JPG-1970374.JPG
View Quote

Perhaps he is keeping a promise to Gun Control Groups that he would not sign the bill into law.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16397/10thday-2_JPG-1970374.JPG
View Quote

The 28th DOES NOT COUNT, it was sent over late on the 28th. Also it would depend if holidays count. This last week most legislators were back home after adjournment on Saturday evening, and Abbott may ask Schaefer and Schwertner to the signing.

The only way HB 1927 would not go into law is Abbott would HAVE TO VETO the bill. If it sits on his desk it becomes law.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Be rather disappointing if he doesn't sign it publicly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 28th DOES NOT COUNT, it was sent over late on the 28th. Also it would depend if holidays count. This last week most legislators were back home after adjournment on Saturday evening, and Abbott may ask Schaefer and Schwertner to the signing.

The only way HB 1927 would not go into law is Abbott would HAVE TO VETO the bill. If it sits on his desk it becomes law.
View Quote

From another forum:

Because the bill was sent within 10 days of final adjournment of the lege, he has 20 days after final adjournment to act; this deadline will be June 20th. If not action taken, on June 21st it will become law with an effective date of Sept 1, 2021.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From another forum:

Because the bill was sent within 10 days of final adjournment of the lege, he has 20 days after final adjournment to act; this deadline will be June 20th. If not action taken, on June 21st it will become law with an effective date of Sept 1, 2021.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From another forum:

If it is 20 days after adjournment then he has till June 18th, since they adjourned on 5/29.

So far Abbott has only vetoed one bill, signed just under 400 bills.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it is 20 days after adjournment then he has till June 18th, since they adjourned on 5/29.
View Quote

Well obviously that was not a Math Forum I got it from.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just counted on my calendar.

Since the Senate met on 5/31, the final date would be 6/20.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#12]
He's signing other bills right now, according to a tweet by Tan Parker.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He's signing other bills right now, according to a tweet by Tan Parker.
View Quote

If you want to see if it was signed today go to TLO, find reports and you will see a ‘signed by governor’ and ‘vetoed by governor’

When I’m on my IPad it sucks posting links, but will post a link later this afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want to see if it was signed today go to TLO, find reports and you will see a ‘signed by governor’ and ‘vetoed by governor’

When I’m on my IPad it sucks posting links, but will post a link later this afternoon.
View Quote

I got u fam

https://capitol.texas.gov/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=87R&ID=signedbygov

https://capitol.texas.gov/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=87R&ID=vetoedbygov
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a direct link to the 'stages' view of HB 1927. This is just a quick look at where it currently stands and the next stage.

HB 1927
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Is Abbott making it purposely easier for him to be primaried by waiting to sign it?

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is Abbott making it purposely easier for him to be primaried by waiting to sign it?
View Quote

If you think this is the case, then prove it.  Go look up previous sessions and find the average amount of time taken between the Legislature passing a bill and the governor signing it.  Then show that the amount of time between when HB1927 passed and now is out of the ordinary.

Don't wimp out with some lame "I'm just asking questions" excuse.  Do the work.  I'll be waiting.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got u fam

https://capitol.texas.gov/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=87R&ID=signedbygov

https://capitol.texas.gov/Reports/Report.aspx?LegSess=87R&ID=vetoedbygov

Thanks!

If you look SB 19 and SB 20 have not been signed into law either. As long as a bill is not vetoed it not a big deal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#19]
As before, there is zero reason to think that Gov. Abbott, who said he would sign CC and issued a statement about "getting it done" while the bill was being worked out in conference committee, is either going to veto it or even not sign it and let it pass.

I expect he'll have a nice signing ceremony for all the pro-gun bills at once, and use it in his re-election - as he should.  Abbott's been good on guns, and should be supported by us.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:09:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Apparently Alan West just resigned from his position with the state GOP. Looking to primary Abbot, I guess.

I don't see Abbot passing on such a golden opportunity to get some easy 2A cred. Just be patient, I'm sure he's just busy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems foolish - he's only been in that job for a little bit, and came from another state for it.  So looks like a job hunter, not someone who wants to accomplish conservative goals.

Primary challenges against sitting governors are pretty much a fool's errand.  Abbott's not going to lose a primary race - I know some folks are mad at him for not pushing back more against the Wuhan Virus hysteria, but most of us don't fully appreciate the media - entertainment complex's ability to drive the narrative that they wish.  Media types wanted the virus to be the second coming of the Black Death and hyped it to high levels.  He did a decent job during it all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
He does have his hands full with the border plus all the bills he has to sign.
I think the delay is that he doesn’t want to just sign it like housekeeping bills.
He will probably want to make a show of it.
Give it time. It will happen. Patience.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seems foolish - he's only been in that job for a little bit, and came from another state for it.  So looks like a job hunter, not someone who wants to accomplish conservative goals.

Primary challenges against sitting governors are pretty much a fool's errand.  Abbott's not going to lose a primary race - I know some folks are mad at him for not pushing back more against the Wuhan Virus hysteria, but most of us don't fully appreciate the media - entertainment complex's ability to drive the narrative that they wish.  Media types wanted the virus to be the second coming of the Black Death and hyped it to high levels.  He did a decent job during it all.
View Quote

Abbott wasn’t big time stupid like Cuomo, Newscum or Stretchin’ Gretchen. The problem is in the second largest state with 4 of the 10 largest cities in the country, and their insane mayors and county judges. Just in Travis county when the numbers ticked up and the media would have gone after Abbott big time if he had done nothing.

Abbott had to thread a very fine needle to keep all parties kind of at bay.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Apparently Alan West just resigned from his position with the state GOP. Looking to primary Abbot, I guess.

I don't see Abbot passing on such a golden opportunity to get some easy 2A cred. Just be patient, I'm sure he's just busy.
View Quote

I saw somewhere the other day West was also considering a house seat. We shall see.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

He signed some fucking retarded racing bill in a drag car.

Hot wheels needs to sign this fucking bill before he commits political suicide.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Abbott wasn’t big time stupid like Cuomo, Newscum or Stretchin’ Gretchen. The problem is in the second largest state with 4 of the 10 largest cities in the country, and their insane mayors and county judges. Just in Travis county when the numbers ticked up and the media would have gone after Abbott big time if he had done nothing.

Abbott had to thread a very fine needle to keep all parties kind of at bay.
View Quote

He caved, plain and simple.  He could have set the example and let freedom reign.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#27]
lol....Kids....they're so cute.

Ahhh..... such a reminder and fond memories here from when I was 9 years old; I remember hours would pass as I waited, and waited, and waited, all day long for my father to come home from work until that moment when he would arrive at the door, I could run up to him to ask him all excited "Daddy, daddy, did you remember to get those firecrackers from your friend at work?" He'd say "No son. I was busy with many other things at work. I'll do it tomorrow". Rinse and repeat the same anxious wait, day-after-day, for what seemed like an eternity.....
lol. Don't know how some of you kids will survive until Daddy Abbott brings you your firecrackers.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
lol....Kids....they're so cute.

Ahhh..... such a reminder and fond memories here from when I was 9 years old; I remember hours would pass as I waited, and waited, and waited, all day long for my father to come home from work until that moment when he would arrive at the door, I could run up to him to ask him all excited "Daddy, daddy, did you remember to get those firecrackers from your friend at work?" He'd say "No son. I was busy with many other things at work. I'll do it tomorrow". Rinse and repeat the same anxious wait, day-after-day, for what seemed like an eternity.....
lol. Don't know how some of you kids will survive until Daddy Abbott brings you your firecrackers.
View Quote

Best ever, thanks for a perfect  perspective on this thread!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]
What we have is 10 or 20 days of Bloomturd pressure on Abbott to veto the bill. That same period of time is not seeing the same from our side I fear.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What we have is 10 or 20 days of Bloomturd pressure on Abbott to veto the bill. That same period of time is not seeing the same from our side I fear.
View Quote

The governor has 20 days after the legislature adjourns to sign, or veto any bills. If he does not veto a bill it becomes law. The Senate adjourned on 5/31.

So far none of the gun bills have been signed into law. Also Abbott has only vetoed one bill.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The governor has 20 days after the legislature adjourns to sign, or veto any bills. If he does not veto a bill it becomes law. The Senate adjourned on 5/31.

So far none of the gun bills have been signed into law. Also Abbott has only vetoed one bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand but the Bloomies aren't stupid. Why pay tons of lobbyists to chase around fifty legislators for two months when you can avoid the traffic and go right to the source.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I understand but the Bloomies aren't stupid. Why pay tons of lobbyists to chase around fifty legislators for two months when you can avoid the traffic and go right to the source.
View Quote

Do you believe he'll veto it? I mean, nothing is impossible I suppose but that would be the end of him. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't host a huge signing ceremony, I can't see him just letting it go into law without putting his name on it and trying to own it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
A question for you guys who track the number of bills passed. How many does he have to sign, several hundred at least?
If he has aspirations for any higher office or to keep this one for any amount of time, vetoing this bill is political suicide.
Does it matter if he signs it tomorrow, or waits and signs all of the 2nd amendment bills at one time in a big F You to Xiden?
He knows if he doesn't sign it, it becomes law anyway and will hurt him politically as much as if he had vetoed it.

However it passes, it doesn't go into effect until September 1st. Are you going to bitch about that too?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#34]
He's not going to veto a bill that he's repeatedly stated that he'd sign. That would be political suicide, and he's not politically suicidal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Guys I'm not making any predictions here at all. MASSIVE effort on the part of many here got us to this point. I'm just a cynic by nature when it comes to politics. The unknown here is just HOW MUCH MONEY is being wielded in this appx. 20 day window. Beto? Cornyn? Soros? Bloomberg? NONE of us here have ANY stroke with the Governor personally I suspect. The "game" is much larger for some people if you see the additional areas of control that can be achieved if turning Texas Blue can happen. Guns are just a part of the picture. ALL of the people I just mentioned have Abbotts cell#. Please understand that I am TRULY hopeful that HB1927 becomes law and is implemented on Sept. 1/21.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Guys I'm not making any predictions here at all. MASSIVE effort on the part of many here got us to this point. I'm just a cynic by nature when it comes to politics. The unknown here is just HOW MUCH MONEY is being wielded in this appx. 20 day window. Beto? Cornyn? Soros? Bloomberg? NONE of us here have ANY stroke with the Governor personally I suspect. The "game" is much larger for some people if you see the additional areas of control that can be achieved if turning Texas Blue can happen. Guns are just a part of the picture. ALL of the people I just mentioned have Abbotts cell#. Please understand that I am TRULY hopeful that HB1927 becomes law and is implemented on Sept. 1/21.
View Quote

the bolded segment is exactly where my head is at.

I don't think he'll veto it, but I'd much rather see him sign it than let his veto power expire so it becomes law on 9/1.  

I'm not necessarily bitching, but the longer he waits the more nervous I am about shit that is going on behind the scenes that are out of our sight.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Since the gun bills went to the Governor shortly before the session ended, and thus there's extra time to sign them before they become law anyway, it would make sense to prioritize on signing the bills with  a shorter time frame.  

Should happen next week I'd guess, or the start of the week after - it all depends on the best timing for signing various bills.  Lots to coordinate between legislators, lobbyists, PAC's and donors, etc.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:23:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It was 25 years since the Neal Knox attempted take over and WLP changing bylaws to restrict how people could be nominated to the NRA board, which was done in Dallas in 2018.

I think the NRA would have been a lot better shape under Neal Knox. Having read a lot of his columns and he had a better grasp of politics than WLP and most NRA board members.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully not in the cesspool we are currently in. Wayne and company wasted no time changing the bylaws so that he and the executive board could not be voted out by the rabble.

It was 25 years since the Neal Knox attempted take over and WLP changing bylaws to restrict how people could be nominated to the NRA board, which was done in Dallas in 2018.

I think the NRA would have been a lot better shape under Neal Knox. Having read a lot of his columns and he had a better grasp of politics than WLP and most NRA board members.

WLP ran Knox out on a rail immediately after the bylaw was passed making the Executive Vice President (WLP) no longer subject to election by the membership, but rather by the board instead. For years He controlled who was voted onto the board by putting "Do not vote for..." proclamations on the pages surrounding the ballots in American Rifleman. Frankly that should have been a clue. I'm also more than a little surprised that those didn't make a come back a few years ago to deal with the growing number of people who weren't down for the scam but were getting elected anyway.

Speaking of which, did the NRA even hold an election for board members this year? I don't think I got a ballot, I don't get the magazine and am ignoring most crap they send me, but I am an endowment member.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Speaking of which, did the NRA even hold an election for board members this year? I don't think I got a ballot, I don't get the magazine and am ignoring most crap they send me, but I am an endowment member.
View Quote

I just got a ballot last week.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

WLP ran Knox out on a rail immediately after the bylaw was passed making the Executive Vice President (WLP) no longer subject to election by the membership, but rather by the board instead. For years He controlled who was voted onto the board by putting "Do not vote for..." proclamations on the pages surrounding the ballots in American Rifleman. Frankly that should have been a clue. I'm also more than a little surprised that those didn't make a come back a few years ago to deal with the growing number of people who weren't down for the scam but were getting elected anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopefully not in the cesspool we are currently in. Wayne and company wasted no time changing the bylaws so that he and the executive board could not be voted out by the rabble.

I got my ballot yesterday, but why send it in? There have been a bunch of bylaw ‘changes’ that force out more and more board members who don’t tow the WLP/MH line. The NRA no longer has to put out ‘don’t vote for’ statements, that person will never get nominated.

Also WLP/MH made it very hard for anyone to want to be on the board, where if someone sues the NRA and the board members (very common) the NRA’s insurance/law firm will not protect the board members. You could be bankrupted just being on the board. Why do you think a few years ago so many people resigned from the board.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Since the gun bills went to the Governor shortly before the session ended, and thus there's extra time to sign them before they become law anyway, it would make sense to prioritize on signing the bills with  a shorter time frame.  

Should happen next week I'd guess, or the start of the week after - it all depends on the best timing for signing various bills.  Lots to coordinate between legislators, lobbyists, PAC's and donors, etc.
View Quote

Another thread said he will sign all of the gun bills next Thursday.
I have no idea where he got that info.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#44]

From there -

“When is the Governor going to sign Constitutional Carry?”

We understand that you are all anxious to see these bills signed. We’re thrilled to let you know that Governor Abbott has announced that he will be signing these priority bills (including Constitutional Carry) next week at a special signing ceremony.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

From there -

View Quote

Good times - figured that all the gun bills would be signed at once, and with a nice ceremony about it.

Still smiling over this huge win, and the depth of all the pro-gun bills that were passed this year.  It was a fantastic session for gun rights.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Good times - figured that all the gun bills would be signed at once, and with a nice ceremony about it.

Still smiling over this huge win, and the depth of all the pro-gun bills that were passed this year.  It was a fantastic session for gun rights.
View Quote

Talk about Flipping a HUGE Finger in the Face of the Democrats ...  

LOL!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:07:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Exactly.  Nanny Doomberg spend millions of dollars to infest this state with more elected Democrats.  But instead his plans fizzled like his presidential run, and Texas had the most pro-gun session in its history, and of any state this year.

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Exactly.  Nanny Doomberg spend millions of dollars to infest this state with more elected Democrats.  But instead his plans fizzled like his presidential run, and Texas had the most pro-gun session in its history, and of any state this year.

View Quote

In the House and Senate the Democrats gained no seats, but the Republicans lost a few RINO’s but gained quite some very strong pro 2A supporters. Even in the Federal election the Republicans gained quite a few in the house.

Now we need to get rid of some of the DUMBocrats that stole Republican seats in 2018 under the ‘Beto Effect’
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Any idea of what day this week the signing is?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Any idea of what day this week the signing is?
View Quote

Not sure of what day yet. Someone what talking about Thursday, but that has never been confirmed. Best bet is to sign up for GOA text alerts.
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top