Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was going to post that. I don't think well regulated means what he thinks it means or he is trying to twist the meaning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...beware of "i support the second amendment, but...." ranges...

Akron-area police, firearms instructors react to Ohio's new 'constitutional carry' gun law

I was going to post that. I don't think well regulated means what he thinks it means or he is trying to twist the meaning.

I think he understands exactly what it means.  DC v Heller states, "the adjective “well-regulated” implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training."
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Should I call the Sheriff's office to ask when the next CHL Militia drill is?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think he understands exactly what it means.  DC v Heller states, "the adjective “well-regulated” implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training."
View Quote

Maybe, that's why I added the twisted meaning.

Does the 2A say the right to bear arms is required for a well regulated militia or that being well regulated is required to have the right to bear arms? He implies it's the second one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Slightly off topic, but based on the knowledge you all have it makes sense to me:

Where is the current Ohio law regarding black jacks and knuckles? Carrying on person or in vehicles.

Thanks, if you can help.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends if you open carry or concealed carry, also local laws come into play as they aren't protected with preemption.

Basically it boils down to concealed carry rights are only good for pistols, all other concealed weapons are illegal.

So: 1) is it concealed, then 2) is it a weapon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd really like to see the CHL changed to CCW permit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They would be regulated by local ordinance and are not protected by pre emption.  A knife is a concealed weapon unless it is a tool.  Whether it's a weapon or tool depends entirely on context.  For instance the knife I use to cut seatbelts is a tool.  The knife I use to perhaps field dress game, cut rope, or some other thing is a tool.  What is a weapon is something else, but it's not my knife.
View Quote

As an EMT I have alsways been able to articulate a need for a knife, even a "tactical" one. But I'm not coming up with much on jacks.  Putting people out of their misery isn't going to fly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Depends if you open carry or concealed carry, also local laws come into play as they aren't protected with preemption.

Basically it boils down to concealed carry rights are only good for pistols, all other concealed weapons are illegal.

So: 1) is it concealed, then 2) is it a weapon.
View Quote

Quoted:

They would be regulated by local ordinance and are not protected by pre emption.  A knife is a concealed weapon unless it is a tool.  Whether it's a weapon or tool depends entirely on context.  For instance the knife I use to cut seatbelts is a tool.  The knife I use to perhaps field dress game, cut rope, or some other thing is a tool.  What is a weapon is something else, but it's not my knife.
View Quote

I thought Ohio changed the laws regarding knives and they were no longer considered weapons by definition? Could localities still consider them weapons and arrest someone?

ETA: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio’s-changing-knife-laws
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought Ohio changed the laws regarding knives and they were no longer considered weapons by definition? Could localities still consider them weapons and arrest someone?

ETA: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio’s-changing-knife-laws

Yes.

To be clear, localities could consider them weapons by local statute, NOT by state law. Correct?
My locale doesn't really do local laws much.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

To be clear, localities could consider them weapons by local statute, NOT by state law. Correct?
View Quote

It only slightly changed the law, a concealed knife carried as, or used as, a weapon can still lead to a concealed weapon charge at the state level.

Which realistically means you either have to use it offensively after having it concealed, or be stupid enough to tell a LEO that you carried it as a weapon.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree in concept, but damn get some training. I'm sure the basement dwellers will light me up ,but don't care. I won't be sitting in the defendant's seat.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is correct. The old state law is still what many localities have on the books as a local ordinance, most often word for word. And under the old state law and most local ordinances, whether or not the knife is a deadly weapon is something that will ultimately be decided in court and the courts look at the features of the knife to decide whether or not it is a tool or a deadly weapon. Unfortunately, most of the pocket knives that we carry in our pockets have the features that would probably = deadly weapon vs. tool.

I’m a addition to that, some localities have blade length restrictions as well (Cleveland is 2.5”, IIRC).

Which is why knife preemption needs to happen.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Monday June 13th is the big day!

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#19]
today!

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I think IN goes into effect 7/1
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Carried in the hardware store earlier today.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Carried in the hardware store earlier today.
View Quote

Did you go nuts and shoot anyone?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Did you go nuts and shoot anyone?
View Quote
No, but I almost got trampled by some seasoned citizens: All plants and hanging potted plants were being blown out for $1 each and they wanted them gone by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Did anybody else buy a new carry gun today to celebrate.
I picked up a new shield plus at the hardware store.????
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Ohio's Permitless Carry Law Goes into Effect Today, June 13, 2022

...folks, also, remember the contentious "duty-to-inform" is now practically gone!

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Saw this little mis-information tidbit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ohio-s-constitutional-carry-law-has-gone-into-effect/ar-AAYpYp8

Lawrence county prosecutor quoted in this article , that you still can't carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle , ammo must be separate and the firearm out of arms reach.

Saw other articles that seemed written in a confusing manner about what you can and cannot do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ohio-s-constitutional-carry-law-has-gone-into-effect/ar-AAYpYp8

Lawrence county prosecutor quoted in this article , that you still can't carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle , ammo must be separate and the firearm out of arms reach.

Saw other articles that seemed written in a confusing manner about what you can and cannot do.
View Quote

The "no loaded in a car" seems to be a common misunderstanding. I have no idea where is comes from.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yup, the misinformation is out there and I can't help but wonder if some of it is an attempt to decieve.

From BFA's FAQ Post:

Does this change how I carry in my vehicle?
No. You will be able to carry a concealed handgun in your car with or without a CHL. You do not have to unload. You do not have to make the handgun visible. You can have loaded handguns and magazines on your person or stored anywhere in your vehicle.

Does this change how I transport long guns in my vehicle?
No. Carrying concealed, with or without a license, deals with a loaded handgun only. Transporting rifles and shotguns remains the same, meaning you must transport them unloaded, in a closed container, with ammunition in a separate container or closed compartment, in your trunk or in an area not accessible without leaving your vehicle.

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can carry a loaded handgun in your car if it is concealed. Long guns and visible handguns must be unloaded as I understand it. I've come to this conclusion because O.R.C. 2923.111 specifically refers to concealed handguns.

Relevant law underlined and bolded.
Ohio Revised Code Section 2923.111 - Convealed carry by a qualifying adult

(B) Notwithstanding any other Revised Code section to the contrary:

(1) A person who is a qualifying adult shall not be required to obtain a concealed handgun license in order to carry in this state, under authority of division (B)(2) of this section, a concealed handgun that is not a restricted firearm.

(2) Regardless of whether the person has been issued a concealed handgun license, subject to the limitations specified in divisions (B)(3) and (C)(2) of this section, a person who is a qualifying adult may carry a concealed handgun that is not a restricted firearm anywhere in this state in which a person who has been issued a concealed handgun license may carry a concealed handgun.

(3) The right of a person who is a qualifying adult to carry a concealed handgun that is not a restricted firearm that is granted under divisions (B)(1) and (2) of this section is the same right as is granted to a person who has been issued a concealed handgun license, and a qualifying adult who is granted the right is subject to the same restrictions as apply to a person who has been issued a concealed handgun license.

(C)(1) For purposes of any provision of section 1547.69, 2923.12, or 2923.124 to 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, or of any other section of the Revised Code, that refers to a concealed handgun license or a concealed handgun licensee, except when the context clearly indicates otherwise, all of the following apply:

(a) A person who is a qualifying adult and is carrying or has, concealed on the person's person or ready at hand, a handgun that is not a restricted firearm shall be deemed to have been issued a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) If the provision refers to a person having been issued a concealed handgun license or having been issued a concealed handgun license that is valid at a particular point in time, the provision shall be construed as automatically including a person who is a qualifying adult and who is carrying or has, concealed on the person's person or ready at hand, a handgun that is not a restricted firearm, as if the person had been issued a concealed handgun license or had been issued a concealed handgun license that is valid at the particular point in time.

(c) If the provision in specified circumstances requires a concealed handgun licensee to engage in specified conduct, or prohibits a concealed handgun licensee from engaging in specified conduct, the provision shall be construed as applying in the same circumstances to a person who is a qualifying adult in the same manner as if the person was a concealed handgun licensee.

(d) If the application of the provision to a person depends on whether the person is or is not a concealed handgun licensee, the provision shall be applied to a person who is a qualifying adult in the same manner as if the person was a concealed handgun licensee.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can carry a loaded handgun in your car if it is concealed. Long guns and visible handguns must be unloaded as I understand it. I've come to this conclusion because O.R.C. 2923.111 specifically refers to concealed handguns.

Relevant law underlined and bolded.

View Quote

All loaded handguns are considered concealed inside of a vehicle. It's why you could not have a loaded handgun without a CHL before this passed.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top