Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2021 8:43:39 AM EDT
"House Bill 1369 allows any law-abiding adult who is legally eligible, to obtain a carry permit to carry a handgun without first having to obtain government permission. This ensures that citizens have their right to self-defense without government red tape or delays. It does not affect previously issued carry permits, and allows citizens who still wish to obtain a permit in order to carry in other states recognizing Indiana permits, to do so.

Please ask your state representative to support HB 1369."

https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/10394
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Done.  I don't know why this thread is not on fire.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Good news:

"The House Public Policy Committee has approved House Bill 1369, to improve the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their loved ones. It may now go to the Ways and Means Committee before going on to the full House for further consideration. Please ask your state representative to SUPPORT this critical bill that improves self-defense in Indiana."

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Moving right along:

"Today, the House Ways and Means Committee approved House Bill 1369, to improve the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their loved ones. It will now go on to the full House for further consideration. Please ask your state representative to SUPPORT this critical bill that improves self-defense in Indiana."

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Will do!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Will do!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Still moving forward:

"Today, the House held a second reading for House Bill 1369, to improve the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their loved ones. This is further into the legislative process than similar bills advanced in previous years, and it is because of hard work from, and strong leadership by, Representatives Smaltz, Lucas, Lehman, and Wesco. Please continue asking your state representative to SUPPORT this critical bill that improves self-defense in Indiana."

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Done!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Any more news?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any more news?
View Quote
It passed the house and now it's on its way to the senate for voting

https://legiscan.com/IN/rollcall/HB1369/id/1010894
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, then, I suppose it's time to contact my senator!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not too worried about the Senate, but Fuher Holcomb does worry me
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay, here's a link to contact your senator:

"On February 22, the House passed House Bill 1369 by a vote of 65-31 and sent it on to the Senate for further consideration. Please ask your state senator to support HB 1369."

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I had contacted my Rep about a week ago and just sent an email to my state Senator urging her to pass this.  While I have my lifetime, my wife does not have a CHL.  So I worry that if she might take my truck sometime she could be in trouble.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I see that HB 1369 has passed the House.  Hoosier Gun Rights sent an email that was kind of apoplectic, so I was a little surprised.  From HGR:

A version of Constitutional Carry, HB 1369, has passed the Indiana House of Representatives.

However, Rep. Smaltz's compromises to buy off anti-gun bureaucrats are still in this important legislation.
This includes language mandating the creation of a database that could lead to all sorts of civil liberty violations as well as delaying the effective date to March of 2022!!!
Not a single Constitutional Carry state, now 18 of them, has delayed implementation for over a year as Smaltz is proposing in his bill.
And don’t buy the nonsense from Smaltz’s apologist that it isn’t a database. Rep. Smaltz repeated several times on the House floor just last week that it is just that.
He has no clue what it’s going to look like, he just trusts that the government agents will create it and somehow stay within the confines of the law, with ZERO legislative oversight.
At worse, this database, which is being billed as a way to keep guns out of the hands of “bad guys,” will allow law enforcement to run a criminal background check during each and every traffic stop, whether or not it is relevant.
View Quote

I guess HGR is upset about this clause:

Effective July 1, 2021: (1) Provides that the following must develop a process that allows law enforcement officers the ability to quickly access information about whether a person is a prohibited person who may not knowingly or intentionally carry a handgun: (A) The state police department; (B) The bureau of motor vehicles; (C) Local law enforcement agencies; and (D) Any other state entity with access to information related to persons who may not knowingly or intentionally carry a handgun; (2) Provides that the information made available to law enforcement officers must meet all state and federal statutory, constitutional, and regulatory requirements
View Quote

Indiana HB 1369 or HB 1369 from LegiScan

I know the bill isn't perfect (and it was never going to be with all the weak kneed Republicans running around in Indy), but that clause seems pretty benign to me.  I guess it's another "big brother" list, but it seems more like a list made from already existing lists.  Maybe a sharper mind than mine can enlighten me as to why HGR is so upset.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:37:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I've read (so take this with a grain of salt) that a few "gun rights organizations" are not really in favor of Constitutional Carry and as a result are using the referenced list as a way to throw doubt on the bill and thereby stymy it.  According to other gun rights organizations, this is not an issue and should be disregarded.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I see that HB 1369 has passed the House.  Hoosier Gun Rights sent an email that was kind of apoplectic, so I was a little surprised.  From HGR:

I guess HGR is upset about this clause:

Indiana HB 1369 or HB 1369 from LegiScan

I know the bill isn't perfect (and it was never going to be with all the weak kneed Republicans running around in Indy), but that clause seems pretty benign to me.  I guess it's another "big brother" list, but it seems more like a list made from already existing lists.  Maybe a sharper mind than mine can enlighten me as to why HGR is so upset.  

View Quote

It looks like a list of people who are felons or who have otherwise done something to make themselves ineligible to carry a handgun. I agree, that doesn't seem like a big deal to me, since it's information that's already floating around in the system. They're just trying to make it so it can be accessed quickly. (What actions/circumstances make you ineligible is a whole other discussion.) In all fairness, this kind of fits under the "let's just enforce the laws we already have" argument that we 2A supporters like to make. I'm not surprised that someone would think it's worth including in the bill.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Hung up in committee:

"Though House Bill 1369 has already been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, the committee has yet to schedule it for a hearing. Please contact committee members and ask them to schedule and support HB 1369."

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Contacted. They are probably all sick of getting emails from me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
The republican led senate is gonna fuck us
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I've contacted my state Senator asking them to support and co-sponsor the bill.  I've contacted the head of the Judiciary Committee and the President of the Senate asking for this to be put on the Judiciary Committee's agenda.  I would urge all of you to do the same.
FWIW, I've also told them that I will work for and monetarily support any primary challengers if they fail to push this through and support it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Thanks, Millfire, I have contacted them.

NRA-ILA has another fill-in that can be used to poke your state senator:
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:31:22 AM EDT
[#24]
https://hoosiernewsnetwork.medium.com/indiana-gop-state-senator-liz-brown-is-killing-constitutional-carry-bill-in-her-committee-ed4e7336a89f

Indiana GOP State Senator Liz Brown is killing the Constitutional Carry Bill on her Senate Judiciary Committee that she chairs.
State Senator Liz Brown represents Indiana's 15th District. She assumed office on November 5, 2014.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://hoosiernewsnetwork.medium.com/indiana-gop-state-senator-liz-brown-is-killing-constitutional-carry-bill-in-her-committee-ed4e7336a89f

Indiana GOP State Senator Liz Brown is killing the Constitutional Carry Bill on her Senate Judiciary Committee that she chairs.
State Senator Liz Brown represents Indiana's 15th District. She assumed office on November 5, 2014.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow a republican killed the bill

Disgraceful
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wow a republican killed the bill

Disgraceful
View Quote
Too much Lake County and Indy LE Dem support IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#29]
So much for getting my hopes up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Senator Liz Brown needs a strong primary opponent next year.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Time for the Republicans to lose their super majority in Indiana. They need to feel the heat again
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
"The Gun Guy" on WIBC (WIBC.com) is on right now. Today's program is a must listen to program for anyone interested in this topic (my opinion after listening to the first hour). If you can't listen live or missed the first hour, listen to the podcast. LOTS of insight into how the state senate killed this that isn't covered in this thread. Trust me, it's worth the listen.  If you get angry after listening, don't blame me, I didn't kill the bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top