Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2021 11:20:49 AM EDT
Many FFL dealers will consign regular firearms, but I'm looking for a dealer that would consign an NFA item, particularly an AK SBR. I've asked two Class 3 dealers and they were not willing to.

If anyone knows of a Colorado dealer that would do this, please let me know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Serious question, isn’t what you are proposing against the law?

As an NFA item doesn’t the AK SBR have to be under the control of the licensee (you) at all times?  Wouldn’t leaving the item at a Class 3 dealer without transferring it to that dealer violate the law?

I don’t know the answer to this question, it is just the first thing that popped into my head.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious question, isn't what you are proposing against the law?

As an NFA item doesn't the AK SBR have to be under the control of the licensee (you) at all times?  Wouldn't leaving the item at a Class 3 dealer without transferring it to that dealer violate the law?

I don't know the answer to this question, it is just the first thing that popped into my head.
View Quote

This isn't against the law. My shop frequently has NFA items that don't belong to us. We simply keep a copy of the owner's Form 1, 2, 3, or 4 on file and log it in to our bound book.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn’t such a transaction require it to be transferred to the dealer by way of ATF?  I’m not a dealer, but I’m curious. I have too many SBRs and I’m considering selling one as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doesn't such a transaction require it to be transferred to the dealer by way of ATF?  I'm not a dealer, but I'm curious. I have too many SBRs and I'm considering selling one as well.
View Quote

Granted I'm no genius, but I consider a transfer to be a change in ownership, not necessarily a change in possession.

As I mentioned above, I receive and work on many title II items. Since the item remains "owned" by the same person since I'm merely working on it for a few weeks, there's no need to form it back and forth. I simply keep a copy of their Form 1, 2, 3, or 4 on file to prove ownership by the customer and log it in and out of my books like any other item.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top