Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2020 4:55:39 PM EDT
Looking at Topeka and Manhattan.  Are they decent places?

Weather: I can take the cold, but hate heat and humidity.  Am I going to hate weather?
Culture and politics: Indiana is pretty laissez-faire as compared to most states, with a sometimes annoying libertarian streak.  What's Kansas culture like?
Homeschool: Do you have to jump through government hoops to homeschool?

Anything else worthy of note?
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had a choice between the two; I think I would pick Manhattan over Topeka.  Topeka has some nice areas but it has a lot of sketchy areas too.

Kansas has pretty awesome gun laws.  I think we are ranked in the top 5 of best gun friendly states.  The culture is not much different than most other midwest states.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Homeschooling is pretty common and was before the covid era.  Never heard any complaints about gov't oversight from families that have done it.  It there was I am sure they would have said something about it.

Hard no on Topeka.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have to agree about Topeka.  Don't go there.  You would be better off finding a smaller town close to Topeka and commute.  The further east you go from Topeka, the more liberals you will find.  Lawrence and Johnson County and even around Wichita now, it's starting to go left.  Manhattan is a nice town BUT it is a college town and the housing is expensive. Again, you could find a smaller town in close proximity and commute.  Heat and humidity is just part of Kansas, sorry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Homeschooling is pretty simple.  Our son just started 9th grade and, due to losing my job, my wife decided to homeschool his first high school year as well.  I don't know a lot about the laws and regulations, but I can tell you she said KS is pretty awesome as far as records and stuff goes.  We have looked at moving to other states, and she's always comparing them to KS; she says KS is really good.

I am from SoCal (the desert parts), but have been in KS for 21 years now.  It's not "Florida" or "Texas" humidity, but it is still awful at times.  That's the one thing I really hate about it.  I would take a 110F day in the desert any day over a humid day here.    That said, I really do like living here (Wichita).
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Conservative Midwestern state, not unlike Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What neighborhoods in wichita would you look at for buying a house? Or areas outside the city? Been looking at Utah or Idaho to move to but now got Kansas in my sights?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What neighborhoods in wichita would you look at for buying a house? Or areas outside the city? Been looking at Utah or Idaho to move to but now got Kansas in my sights?
View Quote
I would look in the suburbs/communities on the outskirts.  Goddard, Maize, Bel Aire, Andover, Derby.  There are some nice neighborhoods in the central areas of the city, but...they're closer to the central areas of the city.  We're up in Bel Aire and love it up here (expensive water though).  Great neighborhoods!
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

As KingAirDriver mentioned, look on the outer edges of Wichita or neighboring towns. I'm way out west, basically Goddard, and amenities are close enough if you need them, but you don't feel as much like you're in the big city.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 10:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I lived in Topeka for 3 years. If you must live in the city, pick an upscale community. Otherwise, move out as far as your $$$ and commute will let you. If possible, live closer towards KC as there is pretty much nothing to do in Topeka. That would cut down on your entertainment commute. On the bright side, the lakes have some really good bass fishing and the hunting is A+. Drop me an IM or email if you need more info.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I live in Marion, about an hour north of Wichita. It's kind of in the middle of a lot of bigger towns. Marion's population is about 2000.  

We have McPherson 37 miles away, Newton 32 miles, Wichita 60 miles, El Dorado 45 miles, Emporia 50 miles, Junction City and Manhattan 45 and 60 miles, Abilene 45 miles, Salina 70 miles.

Small town living but within an hour of any large city.  AND we have 2 nice lakes within 5 miles (when they don't have that pesky algae problem!)  

Most of Kansas is like that though, big-ish city with a lot of small towns around it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looking at Topeka and Manhattan.  Are they decent places?

Weather: I can take the cold, but hate heat and humidity.  Am I going to hate weather?
Culture and politics: Indiana is pretty laissez-faire as compared to most states, with a sometimes annoying libertarian streak.  What's Kansas culture like?
Homeschool: Do you have to jump through government hoops to homeschool?

Anything else worthy of note?
View Quote

Avoid Topeka. Manhattan is a great town!
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Might maybe take a lookit Salina.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in Marion.  Property is very affordable in small towns and the trappings of the bigger cities are not far away.  I got 80 acres, built a new house and 24x30 ft shed for under $200k in 97. A very gun friendly with great hunting and fishing area.  Friendly neighbors allow us to horseback ride in a 3 square mile hilly terrain.  I grew up in a city and hope never to return.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I appreciate the input, fellas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Agreed with Manhattan over Topeka, more down to Earth and laid back.  I'm from Hutchinson right here in the middle of the state, about 40,000 people. All of Kansas for the most part is pretty conservative with good values.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m SW of Wichita about 10
miles  but may be moving to the northeast side of town in a few years depending on schools and such.

I have been here two years and no major complaints. Once i figured out which station Limbaugh was on it felt like home anyways lol.

I have yet to explore much of the state, but I am hoping that an increase of arfcom HTF get togethers will remedy that.

I grew up in Nebraska and spent a lot of time in Iowa so I will say that a if there is a “Scandinavian libtard” spectrum, Iowa is halfway their, Nebraska is 1/4 of the way there depending on how far east you go, and it seems like Kansas is giving me a more central Nebraska vibe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top