Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2020 2:26:00 PM EDT
My brother has lived in your fine state for a long time. I know carry permits are not needed for residents, but i have a question.

The brother wants a CC permit for reciprocity with other states he wants to travel to.

He applied over two months ago and has still not received news of it. He has a clean record, so there should be no issue on the background check.

Is this normal for WY?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The permit itself is issued by the state.  The chief LEO where your brother lives (city or county) has to sign off on the application.

That means the paperwork is standardized but the process is not, it depends on his local jurisdiction.  If you let us know where he lives you might get lucky and a WYHTF member might have some local insight.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:48:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The permit itself is issued by the state.  The chief LEO where your brother lives (city or county) has to sign off on the application.

That means the paperwork is standardized but the process is not, it depends on his local jurisdiction.  If you let us know where he lives you might get lucky and a WYHTF member might have some local insight.

View Quote

Campbell county, i believe. Gillette area.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Laramie county says 90 days.  I don't know if that is standard for all counties.

https://www.laramiecounty.com/_officials/Sheriff/Concealed.aspx
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 4:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Laramie county says 90 days.  I don't know if that is standard for all counties.

https://www.laramiecounty.com/_officials/Sheriff/Concealed.aspx
View Quote

Thanks. He is nearing 90 days..  I do find it odd that it would take so long in freer WY than it does here in Alabama. Last time i renewed, i just paid and had to wait a day or so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Have him call the Sheriff's Dept and ask nicely about the status.

Wife's last renewal took right around 90 days to the day.

When I got my first ever CWP in SD back in 1993, it took about five minutes. Military ID, fill out form, they printed off a little card and laminated it while I waited.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
90 days?

That's ridiculous
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Standard wait just shy of 90 days
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Must've been some transplant Californians in government made it that way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
90 days?

That's ridiculous
View Quote

Yes it is but at least you don't need a permit to carry. So you don't need to wait to get the permit to carry in state.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe or just understaffed. When I renewed mine last, the sheriffs office said it will be a bit because there is only one person from the state that handles them or something like that.
Don't recall exactly.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My most recent renewal was just over 1 month. They said to expect 60-90 days.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My most recent renewal was just over 1 month. They said to expect 60-90 days.
View Quote

Yeah, my CCP was set to expire this month.  I renewed it in July to make sure it didn't expire due to the backlog with Covid.  I had the damn thing by the end of the month and now it will expire about 5 months sooner than it should.  Oh well I guess...

For new permits it depends on how backlogged DCI is with fingerprints.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
DCI had their budget cut and COVID made it worse.  Don't expect a quick turn around, they had increasing permits over the years and it's only gotten worse.  They even cut some services for LE departments because of their budget.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#15]
He messaged me that he finally got his permit.  Sucks it took so long, but he is good to go now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top