Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/10/2022 11:32:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Poltax]
I am re-posting some info from a good friend of mine.....Tire Iron.....some of you may have heard of him.  The gist of the post is that if you have concealed carry insurance, not one of the insurance companies will cover you if your in a shooting incident that is located on property that is illegal to carry.  As most everyone knows it is illegal to carry on property owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints.   The Presbyterian Church of SLC has also joined in this as well.    If you are visiting another State and your CCW is recip in that State, then you can carry on Church Property.  However, double check the laws of the State you are visiting to double check.  Do your own due diligence.

TI has called several of the Concealed Carry Insurance Companies to discuss this and also spoke with an attorney in Utah.   I would suggest that you do your own research as well so you are well informed of where you stand with your Insurance Company.

"To everyone that lives in Utah that goes on LDS property - is it ILLEGAL to take a firearm on any LDS property - in Utah. The penalty is not huge ($750 fine) but the worst part is that you will not be covered by your concealed carry insurance (US Law Shield, CCW Safe, USCCA, etc.) if you use your gun on LDS property. Concealed carry insurance companies will cover you only in places you are legally allowed to have that firearm.
Now if you think to yourself - “well if I do everything right there won’t be a court case”.  WRONG.  You all remember Jack Wilson - right?  Texas, Dec 29, 2019.  Sunday.  Jack is at church when a scumbag comes in and brutally murders two ushers with a shotgun and before he is able to shoot anyone else, Jack pulls out his handgun and takes care of business.  You would think it would be wrong and impossible for there to be a case brought against Jack.  He could legally have his gun with him at church, and he stopped an “active shooter” situation from getting worse.  Well, it took Jack almost 10 months of court proceedings and nearly $500,000 in attorneys fees to be exonerated.  In TEXAS. (Luckily Jack had US Law Shield to cover all that.)
So even though the “penalty” for getting caught carrying a gun on LDS property in Utah is only $750 - you will not be covered by your concealed carry insurance should you need to use your gun.  So unless you have $500,000 sitting in an account, you may want to re-think your position on taking a concealed handgun onto LDS property in Utah."
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct - the property is not the main point - it is the building on the property.  My attorney advised me "if it is a building in the state of Utah that is owned by the LDS church - do not carry a gun in that building."  I then related that if I am in SLC and happened to stroll through Temple Square and found myself in the Tabernacle - he interupted me and said "OK - if you have your gun with you - in the Tabernacle - just don't USE it in the tabernacle - then the worst that can happen in the $750 fine."
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 1:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#3]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 12:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shenanagins] [#4]
Would you pay $500,000 and/or possibly do jail time to have you, your family, or your neighbours not be a victim of a mass shooting? It would suck to do the right thing and have to pay the penalty but considering the alternative…
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:14:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shenanagins] [#6]
Not all churches. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and The Wasatch Presbyterian Church. In Utah churches can legally prohibit firearms in houses of worship if they publish the prohibition in the newspaper annually.
Utah BCI website with list
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top