Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2021 1:25:49 AM EDT
Looking at a possible relocation to NH from CT. Job opportunity is in Exeter.  Will be up for an interview next week.

How far should I stay away?  Looking at houses in the Pittsfield area.  Real estate is tough right now, so might try to rent something for a while.

Wouldn’t mind up to an hour commute.  

Any advice other than “stay in CT” would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Look west of Exeter.  

Fremont, Raymond, Auburn, towns right off of route 101.  

Real estate is insane around here right now though.  I could sell and put some cash in my pocket but I couldn’t afford to buy anything else.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't want to commute from Pittsfield to Exeter every day.

What are you looking for in terms of a house or property? Brand new cookie cutter neighborhood? Good schools? Acreage you can shoot on and a barn? City?

And yeah, real estate is pretty wild around here. According to zillow my house has gone up 32% since purchasing less than four years ago. My property taxes have also increased 50% in that time frame due to rates increasing and the town reassessing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Im about 20 min south west of Exeter .  A commute from Pitts to Exeter would be minimal traffic, but all backroads and will take about an hour in ideal conditions.  Homes and rentals are in extremly high demand so bear this in mind carefully before you decide to pack your bags and move. The Raymond / Nottingham /  Lee  areas might offer better circumstances to your needs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Looking for something with a few acres, but 10+ would be ideal.  Room for a barn/garage is a must for long term plans.  Schools are not a concern right now. I also downhill mountain bike so being near Highland mountain bike park would be awesome.

Might be worth finding a monthly Airbnb place.  Not looking to buy the house that isn’t right because I’m in a pinch.  A few thousand bucks up front to let me find a good place wouldn’t kill me.

I will poke around west of Exeter on realtor.com. Planning on staying Friday night and taking Saturday to do some exploring.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want, I can hook you up with an excellent Realtor and he's one of us. Just send me a PM and I'll send you his contact info.

He's an active member on NortheastShooters.com and helped me find my house in NH.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#6]
You should look at property values and real estate tax rates for the various towns you are considering buying a house in.  Because of heavy reliance on property taxes for education, there are "rich towns" and "poor towns."  I think Pittsfield is a "poor town", so property values will be lower, but property tax rates will be higher.  I would seriously consider renting your first year in NH.  The market will stabilize post-Covid.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should look at property values and real estate tax rates for the various towns you are considering buying a house in.  Because of heavy reliance on property taxes for education, there are "rich towns" and "poor towns."  I think Pittsfield is a "poor town", so property values will be lower, but property tax rates will be higher.  I would seriously consider renting your first year in NH.  The market will stabilize post-Covid.
View Quote

I am considering this as well, would prefer to not buy in an inflated market.  If I could find a small apartment close the Exeter I could live with that for a while.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want, I can hook you up with an excellent Realtor and he's one of us. Just send me a PM and I'll send you his contact info.

He's an active member on NortheastShooters.com and helped me find my house in NH.

Good luck.
View Quote

Just PM’d you
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just PM'd you
View Quote

Info sent.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Lots of good advice given here so far. My wife commutes to Exeter from Dover every day and even that can be a haul under less than ideal traffic conditions. Pittsfield would become a nightmare in the winter time and when the school buses are back on the roads.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I know where there will be a 5k sq foot old house up for sale in Derry sometime soon if the MiL would stop dragging her damn feet.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I live just down the road from Exeter.  Finding property on the 101 corridor will prove difficult.  It's all over-priced.  I recommend heading north for land availability.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I wish you the best of luck if you attempt to buy a house in this over inflated market. A state like NH should not be experiencing a real estate boom with a net 1% migration and so many high earners leaving to places like Florida for remote work. If I were you I'd rent for 1-2 years to wait out for a market correction.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Pittsfield is not a good location if Exeter is your destination.  It is convenient to Concord and Manchester.  Portsmouth to a lesser extent.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Ended up cancelling the interview after looking further into the real-estate.  Might make more sense when the market settles down a little.

The employer said they have this problem quite often with out of state candidates.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know where there will be a 5k sq foot old house up for sale in Derry sometime soon if the MiL would stop dragging her damn feet.

View Quote

And depending on the land acreage, that will be about a $8k+ annual tax bill . Derry / Londonderry tax homeowners HARD right in the ass....  so do your HOMEwork on property taxes .
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And depending on the land acreage, that will be about a $8k+ annual tax bill . Derry / Londonderry tax homeowners HARD right in the ass....  so do your HOMEwork on property taxes .
View Quote

You are not wrong. but if you want good services and schools they have to be paid for don't they.  Just wish we could figure out a better way to do it instead of killing property owners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top