Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 12:16:11 AM EDT
I'm going to be in Brookfield Monday night to Thursday afternoon. It's a work trip, so my daytimes are spoken for. Is there anything nearby I should checkout in the early evenings?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
interests?
types of food you like?
budget?

there is plenty to do in broookfield and even more so in milwaukee.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I assume you'll be staying at one of the hotels on Mooreland/I-94?

If you pull up google maps you'll find hwy 59 a block to the south.  If you head west on 59 you'll be at Midwest Industries in 20 minutes.

I live in the neighboring city and it's 28deg here right now, so be ready for that.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Wisconsin Firearm Training Center
126th & Burleigh road

Indoor gun range with rentals and plenty to buy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup - It looks like the Country Inn on Moorland for me.

I don't have anything specific in mind - Maybe some place close to the hotel that doesn't suck to get food when I get in tonight. A non-cheesy-hotel place to get a Guinness or two in the evening. Midwest could be interesting but I'm not sure what I could buy that they'd allow on my carryon when I fly back.

The range might be interesting. How is their rental counter? I've owned, borrowed or shot so much that little hits me as a novelty anymore.

Budget wise, ouch. I'm paying off a house-full of new windows we "just had to have", so I'd like to err on the frugal side.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup - It looks like the Country Inn on Moorland for me.

I don't have anything specific in mind - Maybe some place close to the hotel that doesn't suck to get food when I get in tonight. A non-cheesy-hotel place to get a Guinness or two in the evening. Midwest could be interesting but I'm not sure what I could buy that they'd allow on my carryon when I fly back.

The range might be interesting. How is their rental counter? I've owned, borrowed or shot so much that little hits me as a novelty anymore.

Budget wise, ouch. I'm paying off a house-full of new windows we "just had to have", so I'd like to err on the frugal side.
View Quote
This is what you're looking for.  About 15 minutes from your hotel.  Try the grilled cheese, it's outstanding.

https://mosirishpub.com/wauwatosa/

ETA:  You need to try some fresh cheese curds.  If you go south on Moorland for about 3 miles, you'll find a grocery store called Sendik's with a great cheese department.  Don't forget to try fried cheese curds at Culvers (there is one 4 min from your hotel).
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool - I'll check it out.
I've been told I have to try the cheese curds. I've survived Poutine, Romanian sausage and The Varsity in Atlanta, so how bad cold this be?

How busy is this airport in the evening? I'm waiting for everyone else to clear baggage claim in hopes Enterprise will run out of the little crap car I reserved....
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Airport won’t be bad. MKE is pretty quick, compared to others. If you have Precheck, you’ll sail through.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
A few places to consider:

1.  Jackson's Blue Ribbon Pub.  Good local bar with good food too: 11302 W Bluemound Rd, Wauwatosa, WI 53226.  Nacho's are a full meal by themselves.

2.  If you like sushi.  Fujiyama has Monday and Tuesday special on sushi.  Its pretty good at a decent price.  Figure $20-30 for dinner.  17395 W Bluemound Rd, Brookfield, WI 53045

3.  Kopps Frozen Custard has a good hamburger and fries.  Well known for their different daily flavors of custard.  Who cares if its winter.  18880 W Bluemound Rd, Brookfield, WI 53045.  Their 'flavor' forecast can be found at the web site.  https://www.kopps.com/flavor-preview
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Harley museum.
Edelweiss harbor cruise.
Lakefront Brewery tour.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I live in the neighboring city and it's 28deg here right now, so be ready for that.  
View Quote
I've got a great coat to wear.
In the trunk of my car in Atlanta.
It's been a bit... Brisk? Bracing? Dare I say a touch on the cool side?

Got talked into trying the fried cheese curds with dinner last night. (hotel attached Champs) I'm assuming the batter is supposed to be more like fried mozzarella and not hard-plate armor? I am up for trying again though. I just have to decide where to go before everyplace closes.

I am planning on lunch at Kopps before I leave Thursday. Snickers Chunky Cheesecake appeals to me in all the 'wrong' ways.

Edit - Culvers made good progress in redeeming my impression of fried curds.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.mpm.edu

I’d hit the MKE  museum.  It’s a freebie (sans whatever show they have) and is a cool look at the city and history.  It’s also easy to get to.  If I had , and I’ve had one day in the city it’s worth the trip.  Harley FWIW Is nearby too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a great coat to wear.
In the trunk of my car in Atlanta.
It's been a bit... Brisk? Bracing? Dare I say a touch on the cool side?

Got talked into trying the fried cheese curds with dinner last night. (hotel attached Champs) I'm assuming the batter is supposed to be more like fried mozzarella and not hard-plate armor? I am up for trying again though. I just have to decide where to go before everyplace closes.

I am planning on lunch at Kopps before I leave Thursday. Snickers Chunky Cheesecake appeals to me in all the 'wrong' ways.

Edit - Culvers made good progress in redeeming my impression of fried curds.
View Quote
Depending on where you go, it's is supposed to be like fried mozz. IMO the best places have an even lighter batter, so it's crispy and flaky.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#13]
OK - I've been here a few times now. How is it that I never knew the alcohol sellers locked their cabinets and went to play shuffleboard at 9pm?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
It varies by locale. Some towns/cities surprise me still with what and when sale are allowed. But by and far 9pm is the general rule in this part of the state.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
2100 for liquor, 2400 for beer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the interesting thread!
I just moved to Brookfield a month ago and didn't know about the indoor range. We've hit some of the other recommended spots like Champps (meh), Kopps (yay).
Sendik's is awesome, we're close to the one at "The Corners" with underground parking. My wife says it makes her feel fancy to shop there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the interesting thread!
I just moved to Brookfield a month ago and didn't know about the indoor range. We've hit some of the other recommended spots like Champps (meh), Kopps (yay).
Sendik's is awesome, we're close to the one at "The Corners" with underground parking. My wife says it makes her feel fancy to shop there.
View Quote
Welcome, new to the area or new to the state?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top