Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2023 9:03:57 AM EDT
The Columbus Dispatch is basically garbage these days.  We still have a minimal digital only subscription to know what's going on around town.  I got this email today:

Dear Subscriber,

We need to talk.

We’ve got a problem in this community. And that problem is gun violence.

The Columbus area leads the state in the number of illegal guns confiscated, according to the most recent data kept from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Last year, 90% of the city's 140 homicides involved someone being killed with a gun. The year before, when a record 205 people were killed in Columbus, the percentage was even higher at 93%.

Those statistics are awash with people’s blood.

We’ve got to talk about how gun violence is fueling what is happening in our neighborhoods, our homes, and our schools.

So, starting on Thursday on Dispatch.com, we are going to have this conversation. The Columbus Dispatch will be reporting on the impact and unexpected consequences of gun violence in our community with our series, Under Fire. We will also detail what the Columbus Division of Police, city government, public health, social service agencies and citizens are doing to reduce the death and the disregard for life.

You will have an opportunity to send us your thoughts. You can join this months-long conversation by submitting a letter to the editor at [email protected].

Thanks for being a subscriber. We appreciate you.

Edwina Blackwell Clark

Executive Editor
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem is a corrupt mayor who takes money from a company that deploys red light cameras in a city then it’s declared illegal and then he says he did nothing wrong.  I remember shit head.  Link The city council is horrendous corrupt.  These “politicians” have no feelings for the people they supposedly represent.   Columbus is lost.  The murder rate rate will continue to climb as they blame inanimate objects.  News will report inanimate objects as the cause.  Rinse, lather and repeat.   In three years Columbus will be Seattle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem is a corrupt mayor who takes money from a company that deploys red light cameras in a city then it's declared illegal and then he says he did nothing wrong.  I remember shit head.  Link The city council is horrendous corrupt.  These "politicians" have no feelings for the people they supposedly represent.   Columbus is lost.  The murder rate rate will continue to climb as they blame inanimate objects.  News will report inanimate objects as the cause.  Rinse, lather and repeat.   In three years Columbus will be Seattle.
View Quote

depends on which way national politics go I suppose, but you are mostly right. probably 10 more years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The first installment of this series:

https://www.dispatch.com/in-depth/news/crime/2023/04/27/gun-violence-cripples-city-even-after-mayor-declares-it-health-crisis/70052993007/

It's subscribers only at this time.  I don't have time to summarize, and I didn't even read the whole thing, it's quite long.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Story on todays news about city leaders having a meeting to "address" gun violoence
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can I get a synopsis of how many were criminals killing other criminals?
View Quote

Not included in the article.  Of course.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Let me guess, they're advocating for tougher sentencing guidelines for repeat criminals and stiffer penalties for gun crime, right?

It's all about accountability?

Surely the Columbus Dispatch wouldn't blame the guns, would they?
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The mayor declared gun violence a public health emergency.  They don't know what to do so they're doing a bit of everything.  Even crime fighting has turned into a grifting racket, just like everything else woke government touches.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/crime/2023/04/29/whats-changed-columbus-gun-violence-health-crisis-2022-andrew-ginther-city-council/70009084007/

Organized crime used to keep street violence down to a minimal level, but we can't have that now can we.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Well said Sir.

Quoted:

The truth is, they want the police to solve the problem.  They also don't want the police to use those methods that will effectively address the problem because someone's feelings might get hurt.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Stopped my subscription when they swung to the left years ago.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stopped my subscription when they swung to the left years ago.
View Quote
I think nearly everyone stopped their subscription at this point. Maybe a few 80 year olds still excitedly go out to get it daily.

I live near Springfield, and somehow I suddenly started getting the Springfield newspaper delivered to my house. How fucking awful is that, having to pick up trash every fucking day from my porch or my front yard? I walk out, and take it straight tot he garbage bin. I have called 2x asking them to stop delivery. They have my address on the subscription, under some other person's name.  Since I am not that person, they won't cancel it. Although I know it now, so I will likely call back with the name and cancel "my subscription".
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top