Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2020 10:38:00 PM EDT
What are the rules on this?

I know there are rules concerning carrying loaded rifles in hunting areas in season but what about rolling around gears up as a general rule.

CCW permit Change any of this for let’s say a jeep tub carbine?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty clear here

Title 33:  In accordance with Colorado wildlife laws, including C.R.S. 33-6-125, you may carry a weapon in your vehicle. However it is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. A "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.

You can have a mag in or tube loaded but chamber needs to be empty, and pray if someone checks it they aren't a retard who has never run a lever gun or an auto.

Anecdotally someone I know nearly got in trouble for the loaded long gun in a vehicle until a supervisor showed up and explained to his officer that when you operate a lever action a round pops out of the tube, and if there had been one chambered it would have come out the top and there'd be one on the carrier also.

I was friends with a FTO and firearms instructor with one of the largest sheriff's offices in CO. No loaded long gun chambers allowed in their vehicles either, he said he had pictures of enough holes in vehicle roofs to prove it
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I know you said this was in regard to a carbine which is legally a long gun.

OTOH, an AR-15 pistol with an arm brace is legally a pistol and you CAN carry it in your vehicle loaded.

Just sayin' ....

Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know you said this was in regard to a carbine which is legally a long gun.

OTOH, an AR-15 pistol with an arm brace is legally a pistol and you CAN carry it in your vehicle loaded.

Just sayin' ....

View Quote

Gotta think about building

Cept for the damn canoe wreck.

I thought the game laws restricted long guns in vehicles.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Aside from the legality, having a hot chamber in a vehicle (ground or air) is risky if the firearm is hard mounted to the vehicle and is 'along for the ride' on vehicle vibrations and impacts.  I suggest any rifle in a vehicle be on 'safe', so if you have to rack under stress, you're safe by default.  
It's different with a body-slung rifle or holstered pistol, because your natural body movement is a soft ride.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aside from the legality, having a hot chamber in a vehicle (ground or air) is risky if the firearm is hard mounted to the vehicle and is 'along for the ride' on vehicle vibrations and impacts.  I suggest any rifle in a vehicle be on 'safe', so if you have to rack under stress, you're safe by default.  
It's different with a body-slung rifle or holstered pistol, because your natural body movement is a soft ride.
View Quote

My truck gun (ar15 pistol) stays unloaded, but mags kept ready. The glock in the center console is kept in a retention holster and is always loaded. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top