Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2021 12:10:07 PM EDT
I may be moving to the Collierville or German Town areas of TN or perhaps a little further south into MS(Olive Branch). If any TN residents have insight into these areas it would be greatly appreciated!

As an aside, I know I'm from CA but I'd be bringing 4 solid red, pro Trump, pro Shal Not Be Infringed voters into the state.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
As far away from Memphis as you can get. That’s all I will say.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the Germantown/Collierville line.  

If you would like to call me, I can give you the 15min download of what is happening/going to happen in the area since I am in commercial/industrial real estate. I also know just about every builder and real estate broker in the area that I could pass you on to as well.

You can't go wrong with either area but if you are willing to drive a little further out, I think that adds a little distance between you and slightly higher crime areas.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Piperton.  It's east of Collierville and you don't have to put up with any of Shelby County's tax schemes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Piperton.  It's east of Collierville and you don't have to put up with any of Shelby County's tax schemes.
View Quote

This...this right here!
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Germantown is great. Collierville is nice, but crazy traffic at times. The population is growing faster than the roads.

Arlington and Lakeland are good to go.

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Piperton has the highest taxes in fayette county. still better than Shelby county.

Quoted:
As far away from Memphis as you can get. That’s all I will say.
I own property in east Memphis. My daughter lives there. Most of Memphis inside the I-40 loop, like the neighborhoods between Park/central and Summer/Jackson are great. East Memphis, Shady Grove, Sea Isle, Cherry/Colonial are good too.

However, if you have school age kids, you will need a private school in Memphis.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for your insight! I will be looking into the other areas suggested, so it seems I have more research to do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you all for your insight! I will be looking into the other areas suggested, so it seems I have more research to do.
View Quote
Where will you be working?
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I own property in east Memphis. My daughter lives there. Most of Memphis inside the I-40 loop, like the neighborhoods between Park/central and Summer/Jackson are great. East Memphis, Shady Grove, Sea Isle, Cherry/Colonial are good too.

However, if you have school age kids, you will need a private school in Memphis.
View Quote

My mom and sister live in Collierville. I completely agree that there are good neighborhoods scattered across Memphis and the surrounding area, but you can't escape the tentacles of city life anywhere within 25-30 miles of downtown Memphis, IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree about private schooling, or, better yet, homeschooling.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ll be working out if the house while I go to school. Unfortunately if I do end up moving to TN, the school I will be going to has its main campus in what looks to be just east of downtown Memphis, off of Union ave and south manassas street. I’m considering finding something else even if it’s a further commute. Are cary permits difficult to obtain in Tennessee?
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Downtown has a lot of apartments and condos. The Southend is a nice area.

Permits aren't hard to get. I believe constitutional carry starts 7/1.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
How is the Brighton area?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I would check out Mud Island if you are going to be spending a lot of time in the medical district.  If you have kids, then definitely stick to your original plan of Collierville or Germantown.  With the whole I40 bridge problem, I would make sure that you don’t have to spend a lot of time on the western side of the 240 loop.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Southwest or UTHSC? Permits are relatively easy to come by, but carry on campus is a no no.
View Quote

Southwest, which would put me at the Memphis campus for my major. I hope the medical district is a bit safer than the rest of the city.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Southwest, which would put me at the Memphis campus for my major. I hope the medical district is a bit safer than the rest of the city.
View Quote

It’s just a hop, skip, and a jump away from 201 Poplar and the finest bail bond establishments of fair Memphis.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Better be strapped in those parts.  I have several doctor friends that work in that area.  They only eat lunch in their cafeteria at the hospital, they never go out for lunch.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have kids I’d go cville or Arlington inside of Shelby county. If you make it all the way to low taxes you’ll be paying for private school.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a few classes at that campus a few years ago. Security is okay, almost always several cops in the area, usually a few hanging out on campus.
View Quote

That's good to know, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you have kids I’d go cville or Arlington inside of Shelby county. If you make it all the way to low taxes you’ll be paying for private school.
View Quote

This is a concern. Just so I understand, I'd likely need to send children to a private school if I lived in the lower tax areas?
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The affluent cities started their own school systems when Memphis City Schools merged with Shelby County Schools.  Collierville and Germantown have pretty good schools.  Fayette county, hasn’t caught up with their explosive population growth, schools are not anywhere near where you would likely move.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I sent you a PM, OP
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is a concern. Just so I understand, I'd likely need to send children to a private school if I lived in the lower tax areas?
View Quote

Memphis city schools were so bad they ditched their charter and scs rezoned. The areas you want to live said no thanks and formed their own districts. Germantown is now ghetto. Low taxes, fayette county has 1 public high school and 2 bigger private schools. If you can afford to send your kids you do.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Memphis city schools were so bad they ditched their charter and scs rezoned. The areas you want to live said no thanks and formed their own districts. Germantown is now ghetto. Low taxes, fayette county has 1 public high school and 2 bigger private schools. If you can afford to send your kids you do.
View Quote

Germantown High is part of Shelby County Schools.  It has all of the problems one would expect with busing.  Houston High is the actual Germantown HS and it is pretty decent.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Germantown High is part of Shelby County Schools.  It has all of the problems one would expect with busing.  Houston High is the actual Germantown HS and it is pretty decent.
View Quote

Germantown was always Shelby county schools. It’s just that it didn’t break off when the change happened like Houston and all the other “nice” schools did. Way back before that it was zoned funky and had a lot of kids that should have went to south wind had their not been 2 districts.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Cant help you with that area but also just moved from behind enemy lines.  You will absolutely love it.

Only bit of advice if you allergies make sure you start a regiment before you come here. I didn't know I had them but after moving here I was fucked for the first few weeks...YMMV
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Germantown - probably the nicest ghetto you’ve ever been to, lol.

Some of y’all kill me
View Quote

10 years ago it was zoned as such to include apartments that had section 8. I’ve had several classmates recently become doctors and lawyers but I’ve had just as many get shot because they chose that life.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Germantown was always Shelby county schools. It’s just that it didn’t break off when the change happened like Houston and all the other “nice” schools did. Way back before that it was zoned funky and had a lot of kids that should have went to south wind had their not been 2 districts.
View Quote

TN legislature has introduced a bill to help school districts stay community. Germantown school district would benefit from this and get he Germantown high school back in its district. The bill will pass.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cant help you with that area but also just moved from behind enemy lines.  You will absolutely love it.

Only bit of advice if you allergies make sure you start a regiment before you come here. I didn't know I had them but after moving here I was fucked for the first few weeks...YMMV
View Quote

I don't get them too bad but my fiancee does. Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Use the weather.com allergy tracker.  When you start seeing ragweed numbers, start taking Zyrtec or the allergy drug of your choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top