Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2020 9:19:10 PM EDT
Not a fan of sports anymore, but my son's first year of high school ball is due to start in a few weeks.  I'm excited for him and he is pumped. This is not a selfish post proclaiming "we got to have it",   it's just a way of life for many in this state.The repercussions of no college or high school ball are detrimental to the whole program.  Tuscaloosa and Auburn's economy will suffer as well as all the small towns through out the state where Friday night football means pregame meals and post game treats. How many 5th year college seniors will their be if they have no college season this year? Seniors and juniors that needed a solid performing season will just be out of luck for hopes of moving to the next level?
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t think the NCAA is doing much of anything for the spring sports that were affected.

I’m hoping that we do play, but with that P5 announcement if the season being inevitable of being shut down, I have no idea as to what’ll happen.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
One thing I understand is anybody who tells you what is going to happen next in 2020 really has no clue, just speculating.

My speculation is no football this year.   I am led to believe the little old Mid America Confernece (MAC) just canceled their full schedule like the Ivey League has.  SI is speculating it all goes away
Thing is, this virus is not going away short of a widely available vaccine, that is late in the year at best, and the way people are taking it more seriously now precludes any sort of large public gatherings, even including outdoor sporting events.

If nobody is willing to show up in large numbers, football does not work at any level, high school, college, etc.   I know they could play in front of nearly empty stadiums on TV but that does not work if all games everywhere have to be televised to make it financially viable, at least based on history.

I think sports, conventions, trade shows and concerts are the industries that get destroyed financially in 2020, not precluding a comeback in 2021 mind you, just no future for them the rest of this year.

The consequences?  We are making all of this up as we go.  I suspect extra eligibility and stuff like that for the college players, but high school...I suspect "tough luck kid" to be the answer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not holding out much hope that it actually happens.

There is no way some kids are not going to get sick.
View Quote

There have been several schools choose to shut down summer workouts for a week or two because they’ve had kids pop positive.

We shut down for a little while because somebody associated with the team came down with it. That’s been our only case.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Y’all seen the news about Vestavia having several coaches and players testing positive for Corona?

They’ve cancelled their first 2 games and suspended practice for a while.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw that.  My son has been in team workouts since July with two a days starting a couple weeks ago.  They have only had a couple of incidents where team members were exposed.  They canceled practice for a couple of days as a precaution. They are doing virtual learning the first 9 weeks, so any extra exposure from school will be limited. Not a fan of the virtual plan.  My boys need to be back in school.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
This is bad! This means all y’all are gonna be the Range on Saturday’s now!  Damn you again China!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top