Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2020 10:04:15 PM EDT
I recently relocated to the area for work and found a house that the SO loves.
Tell me about the area.
Things to do, places to see, restaurants to eat at etc.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing in and around BSL. One pizza shop and a has station. Southport is kinda cool but lots of old people.  They have a few nice restaurants near the water that are great but mostly everything in the area closes early.

If you haven’t visited the area I suggest. I live off 133.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you like to fish?

There's fishing.

Wilmington's obviously not too far, neither is hopping the border to SC.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I am already in the area.

I am stuck in a hotel until closing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
As has been mentioned, there is nothing much in that area. There is a lot to explore in a two hour radius though. Really depends on what you like.

Wilmington has a lot of stuff to see and do. The downtown/waterfront area is fun and there is a decent music scene. There is a lot of history in the area if that is your thing. Plenty of different beaches to visit, each with their own vibe.

I lived in Wilmington for 5 years and left the coastal area 2 years ago. We don't really miss it much, but go back a few times a year to see our favorite band or to hunt for shark teeth at one particular beach...
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Im in Wilmington now.  Its not a bad place over all, but it is alot better between October and May, when we don't have as many tourists.

Tons to do down here:
Battleship museum
Ft.Fisher
Fishing at any of the local piers
Downtown

Food is really good local hotspots:
Flaming Amy's
Britts Donuts (Carolina Beach)
Cape Fear Seafood Co
Something Fishy (Carolina Beach)
Port City Chop House
Bridgetender

Plus more.  If you need specific recommendations, dont hesitate to reach out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im in Wilmington now.  Its not a bad place over all, but it is alot better between October and May, when we don't have as many tourists. Yes, tourist/college area traffic can be brutal.

Tons to do down here:
Battleship museum
Ft.Fisher
Fishing at any of the local piers
Downtown

Food is really good local hotspots:

Flaming Amy's I never understood the love for that place...

Britts Donuts (Carolina Beach) Yes! Well worth the 4 hour drive each way and a half-hour wait in line

Cape Fear Seafood Co Yes! Very good food there.

Something Fishy (Carolina Beach)
Port City Chop House
Bridgetender

Plus more.  If you need specific recommendations, dont hesitate to reach out.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
What street are you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

Overall BSL is pretty laid back, has average small town issues, low crime, good cops overall, zoning inspector is something of a female dog, just got to know how to work with her if you are building or modifying something on your property, main issues I've had after 3 houses there is that you get some overflow from St. James (main retirement community in area), people that want it to be like a retirement community and have the free time to get on city councils and make life a pain the butt for the average person.

My previous house in BSL proper that I sold in '18, I was sandwiched between 2 of them, thought me and the guy on one side would hit it off right away because his shop was bigger than the house... Ya, not so much, his wife was a deranged alcoholic and since he was in his 70s I think he was in cheaper to keep her mode, which meant for the sake of marital bliss he'd back her, I'm talking about ppl cutting up a football that landed in their yard, and calling the cops because my son's and their friends were boxing in the back yard (with gloves and head gear under my supervision) while they claimed I was running an illegal day care/fight club...

You also have a single & double wide area, plus what was supposed to be a low density single family area that never sold much and has turned into rentals, that's where most of your sketchy crap comes from, that's why I'm asking what street, I can pretty much tell you what your experience will be based on that.

Local area, Southport, is pretty much a classic small coastal town, been in several movies, (Summer Catch, Safe Haven etc), Oak island is the same plus beach, lots of tourists, businesses cater to that and make their nut seasonally, surf and turf restaurants, some decent bars, lots of craft and boutique tourist traps, fairly low crime, mostly heroin and pills and associated stuff.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Wilmington and Myrtle Beach have pretty much anything you'd want not available in the immediate area, Wilmington roughly 25 min drive, North MB 45 min. The other main population centers in the county are Leland & Shallotte, decently round out what's not available in Southport.

I'm currently in BSL, technically, in an area zoned as farmland that was annexed about 10 years ago, we're basically in the boonies, most of the more onerous regulations on the books don't apply to us, and I can ride down to the end of my road and be back on county land in about 3 mins, aka a place you can shoot on, and we can have animals and fields still, plus the restrictive building regs don't apply out there, hence why my shop is taller than my house and the doors are big enough to park a semi in each bay ??.

City government is the strong manager weak Mayor model, he's basically a figurehead, who's on the city board year to year is decided more in the Lodge & Hall than on merits, and is dominated by the grey wave, it is what it is, I've had my issues with city hall over the years, had a public hearing on what businesses are legal in residential areas about 3 years ago (BTW FFL is specifically allowed!), I don't pay much attention to it so long as my taxes don't go through the roof or they start trying to apply all the gated community regs to my area.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
3 outdoor ranges in county, closest is Ye Olde Gun Club, member there, somewhat run down last I was there, mainly due owner moving out of state to be near some other family and his age, he was in Korea... Bill is cool as hell, USMC, he's still there sometimes, on site management can be hit or miss as far as maintenance, but it's a good family range, no wait times or anal RSO's, a few pistol ranges and a trap range, multiple rifle ranges with covered shooting shed, mostly focused on 25 & 100 yd, think max is 200 or 250 yd. The next closest is Ant Hill, nice range, long waiting list, their big on competition shooting if that's your thing, private members only, the other is Buccaneer Gun Club, haven't been there but from what I've heard their also big on competition, fairly hardcore range rules, also long wait times from what I've seen, members only.

If you want to just take the wife and kids to plink, go to the first one, their also open to public for a fee, range membership covers whole family as well, think it's $450 or 75 buy in right now, $375 renewal.

Hit me up if you have any specific questions!

Sorry, had to break up into 3 sections due to "2000 count new member" rule, not a new member but okey dokey.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about BSL, but Southport is a very nice place. Hurricanes are a concern.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Head to Calabash for seafood.  Also checkout Provision Company in Southport for excellent boiled shrimp,  crab cakes, and grilled tuna sandwiches. Sit right on the dock on the Intracoastal Waterway. Be prepared to wait during summer months.

Great area to be near.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry it has been a wile, house inspection saved me the 330K bite in the azz.
Found a new one in Shollotte.

Thanks for the replys.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I am looking so some new friends , I have left all my buddies around Campbell.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Right by ya at Holden Beach. Think you will enjoy the Shallotte area a bit more than BSL. Holden is a laid back Island. Ocean Isle is much more tourist-y with more bars and such. Oak Island is a of a even mix in between. Get a small 14’-16’ double wide Jon boat or similar with a small tiller steer engine (low maintenance more fun) and enjoy the main thing we have going... fishing, playing on the sandbars in the inlets and riding the rivers. Plenty of great restaurants- Wing and Fish, Duffers, Inlet View as well as plenty more towards the beaches. If you like golf then there is more than enough courses to keep ya busy for years lol
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
nvm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top