Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2020 2:09:33 PM EDT
I am helping plan a summer trip for a couple of Boy Scout troops. We would like to come to GA and do some rock climbing and hiking.

any advice on places to go for these activities as well as nearby camping areas would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yonah mountain will give you both. Plenty of climbing and a 4.5 mile round trip hike. Places to camp for a couple hundred.

Boy scout troops used to do some badge work up there. They rescued a friend's girlfriend that had a rappelling accident when her swiss seat came untied on a 40 to 50 foot drop. Kid swung over and tied her off to him and rescue 8'd her down.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yonah

Also you're with 10 miles of the Appalachian trail and many mile of hiking and camping. Cleveland, ga for supplies, and a couple other climbing and rappelling spots with 20 or 30 minutes.

Army Rangers train on climbing Yonah if that gives you any insight.

I live a couple miles from the mountain if you need any deeper info, feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I will admit to knowing next to nothing about climbing, and most of  these folks will be flat landers.  I did some tower work in the army, if my life depended on it I could tie my own Swiss seat and rapell, but not something I would be willing to do with other people's children. Does anyone know a guide/instructor in the area?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yonah for sure. Reach out to the college up there, I'm sure they have some students who would be interested in helping instruct/keep an eye out.

I know several alum too that I can reach out to if you need.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
There are areas of the face that you can just about walk up. The are boulders for bouldering and about anything from mild to wild. Perhaps check with some georgia boy scout troop leaders to see if they can fill in the gaps.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top