Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/13/2021 11:17:44 PM EDT
I will be travelling to the Cleveland area the last full week of the month (23-27) for family stuff. Will have a tweener daughter and my wife with. What are some suggestions for foods, sights, things to do while in town? With all of the changes of the last year what are the options available? And no, not the hall of shame.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much everything is open and back to normal.  Masks optional, not required.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#2]
@mindless1  I thought the Great Lakes Brewery tour was interesting (went 2-3 years ago).  But I love stuff like that so YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Aquarium next to the hall of shame.

USS Cod submarine on the waterfront.

Some of the best restaurants downtown closed up permanently due to the riots.

The West Side Market for an old school food hall / market.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@mindless1  I thought the Great Lakes Brewery tour was interesting (went 2-3 years ago).  But I love stuff like that so YMMV.
View Quote

This coupled with a visit to The West Side Market (across W 25th St. from GLBC) is a good way to spend some time on a Saturday and see some cool Cleveland sites.

The Cuyahoga Valley National Park just south of the city has some easy trails and also historic sites related to the canal if you guys are more into outdoor activities.  A trip on the Goodtime sightseeing cruise boat might be worth checking out too.  A Reuben or corned-beef sandwich from Slyman's just east of downtown is a very Cleveland experience.  The Cleveland Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and Botanical Gardens (all within walking distance of each other) in the University Circle area are within easy reach of downtown too and your family could easily spend a day checking them out.  If you're in University Circle Little Italy is a hop skip and a jump and there is some great food to be had there. The Zoo is right off of W25th St about 10-15 minutes from downtown too.

ETA:  You could also see if there is anything that your family would be interested in at Playhouse Square or The Cleveland Playhouse
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I will be travelling to the Cleveland area the last full week of the month (23-27) for family stuff. Will have a tweener daughter and my wife with. What are some suggestions for foods, sights, things to do while in town? With all of the changes of the last year what are the options available? And no, not the hall of shame.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote
Where will you be staying? What kinds of food do you like? There are lots of interesting non-chain eateries around if you know where to look. Larchmere area, Cedar-Lee district, Ohio City, Tremont, etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This coupled with a visit to The West Side Market (across W 25th St. from GLBC) is a good way to spend some time on a Saturday and see some cool Cleveland sites.

The Cuyahoga Valley National Park just south of the city has some easy trails and also historic sites related to the canal if you guys are more into outdoor activities.  A trip on the Goodtime sightseeing cruise boat might be worth checking out too.  A Reuben or corned-beef sandwich from Slyman's just east of downtown is a very Cleveland experience.  The Cleveland Museum of Art, Natural History Museum, and Botanical Gardens (all within walking distance of each other) in the University Circle area are within easy reach of downtown too and your family could easily spend a day checking them out.  If you're in University Circle Little Italy is a hop skip and a jump and there is some great food to be had there. The Zoo is right off of W25th St about 10-15 minutes from downtown too.

ETA:  You could also see if there is anything that your family would be interested in at Playhouse Square or The Cleveland Playhouse
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good rundown from greyguy as usual

OP, general admission to the Cleveland Museum of Art is free. The armor collection very impressive. Quite a bit of Captain America Winter Soldier was filmed in Cleveland, the atrium of the art museum stood in for SHIELD headquarters.

Note, if you are driving from the east side to the west side or vice versa and GPS/Google map lady tells you to take Woodland or Kinsman... don't. Take one of the highways, Carnegie, or Chester.

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where will you be staying? What kinds of food do you like? There are lots of interesting non-chain eateries around if you know where to look. Larchmere area, Cedar-Lee district, Ohio City, Tremont, etc.
View Quote

Hotel is in Lyndhurst/ Legacy Village.

Forgot about the Cod, we have the Cobia up here and have actually done the overnight on that one so I'm thinking that for me it will definitely be on the list. Was told Slymans it to go only for now but am aware it is a go to for good Rueben's so I'm sure we will stop. Daughter wants to stop at some coffee shop owned by Machine Gun Kelly(?) so maybe a trade off.

Great suggestions so fa. I will have wife and daughter read the replies here to get their input.

Thanks.

Edit: It would seem that art museums are liked to be featured in movies as the Milwaukee one was in one of the Transformers movies. And I have been warned to ignore the ignorant gps idiot. Good thing I am old and can read a map by myself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Slymans has a place one exit south of your hotel. Corkey and Lenny's is of course better for real corned beef or Rubens.  Same exit. Chagrin Blvd and I 271.
View Quote

The Slymans Taverns are good for just getting the food but the feel is totally different, the restaurant downtown is the original.  I agree that Corkey and Lenny's is really good too but I don't know about better.  They are both top-notch IMHO.  Corkey and Lenny's is very close to where you'll be staying but I say in true ARFcom fashion "get both."  
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Cleveland Museum of Art is one of the best in the world. Not exaggerating.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Forgot about the Cod, we have the Cobia up here and have actually done the overnight on that one so I'm thinking that for me it will definitely be on the list. Was told Slymans it to go only for now but am aware it is a go to for good Rueben's so I'm sure we will stop. Daughter wants to stop at some coffee shop owned by Machine Gun Kelly(?) so maybe a trade off.

Great suggestions so fa. I will have wife and daughter read the replies here to get their input.

Thanks.

Edit: It would seem that art museums are liked to be featured in movies as the Milwaukee one was in one of the Transformers movies. And I have been warned to ignore the ignorant gps idiot. Good thing I am old and can read a map by myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Ok, you're going to be on the east side. The Hyatt Place at Legacy is where my company puts visitors to our Beachwood office. I live around 10 minutes from there. You'll be not far from the Cedar/Lee area with numerous food options. Anatolia for Turkish, Tavern Company for burgers and sandwiches, Taste for higher end. Momo's Kebab doesn't look like much but the food is great and inexpensive.

I had to look up the MGK coffee shop, never heard of it before, lol. It's in The Flats, an area next to the river. The Flats has been up and down a number of times with bars/restaurants opening and closing. Not sure what the overall state is these days, I haven't been there in a long time.

I think the Cod just moved to Erie for repairs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think the Cod just moved to Erie for repairs.
View Quote

Yep. The Cod just arrived in Erie for hull maintenance. It won't be back in Cleveland until around the beginning of August.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I would add to the already great suggestions..

The natural history museum is great, along with the western reserve museum. Both museums and the art museum are in the same area. If visiting the area visit little Italy, there’s some amazing food there.

Not too crazy about the botanical gardens or aquarium.

Try Mitchell’s ice cream right by where you’re staying. It’s in beachwood place. There’s tons of shopping around where you’ll be between legacy village, beachwood mall and pine crest (I think that’s what it’s called) if that’s what your kid is into.

I take my kids Hiking around squires castle at least once a year (10 minute drive.) they love the area, so did I when I was younger.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The whole university circle area is actually pretty nice( art museum, natural history museum, botanical gardens and western reserve museum) are all nice and the area is clean and fairly safe.  Lake view cemetery( resting place of Rockefeller, pres. Garfield, Elliot Ness) is also a hidden gem and is free to visit.  Not far from little Italy.
The Cleveland aquarium is no big deal unless you are really  into fish and whatnot.  
CLE zoo is nice.  
West side market and Greatlakes brewing co is cool if you are a craft beer guy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, Terminal Tower observation deck.
Get tickets here.
I took my kids there a couple years ago and bought tickets about an hour before, same day.
It was pretty cool.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Garfield memorial at Lakeview cemetery
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The only thing in the “Cleveland area” worth visiting for is @safe1 ‘s Grub n’ Gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Get drunk, steal a boat from the edgewater yacht club, & do 90 mph out to the bay/
Fun time according to Pat Dailey
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Cedar point is about an hour away if you haven't been and like roller coasters.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Rather than start my own thread, I'll just ask here.

Any intel on anything happening in Cleveland?  I'll also be there the same weekend.  Any weird Ohio CCW specific things I need to worry about?
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Any intel on anything happening in Cleveland?  I'll also be there the same weekend.  Any weird Ohio CCW specific things I need to worry about?
View Quote

OH is "must notify", if you get pulled over or interact with a cop in an official fashion, you must tell them you are carrying.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OH is "must notify", if you get pulled over or interact with a cop in an official fashion, you must tell them you are carrying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all the replies. Letting the wife and kid read this to plan our free time activities. Completely forgot about ccw question. Looks like weather will be decent so that helps. Looking forward to the visit and some different food options.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top