Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2022 11:14:33 AM EDT
Wife and I are thinking of retiring to an over 55 community in the Clearwater area.  We've never been there, but have done a lot of research on the cost of living and the fact that the trailers in the area are pretty affordable.  We have been in W. Texas our entire life but the cost of living outweighs our retirement income.

How is it in Clearwater as far as gun laws/ carrying and the crime.  Is there a better place to look that is still close to the beach?  

Pros and Cons?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I bailed from Pinellas county 14 years ago after growing up there.  It's the most densely populated county in the state.  I hate the traffic, and taxes there aren't cheap either.

In a trailer, you have to be concerned with hurricanes.  They are a definite threat on any location near the coast.  Are you set you have to be on the coast?

The Ocala area is more "Florida" than the coast.  Cost of living is better. Taxes are better.  Just not Gainesville (Alachua)... it's horrible here.

As for gun laws, they're owned by the State, local jurisdictions don't have any say. BUT... the Sheriff in Pinellas is not our friend.  He's anti-open carry and has said even if it passes he will advise his deputies to prone-out anyone carrying open... just to make life difficult for us.

Feel free to hit me up in IMs if you have specific questions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!  We will check those locations out also.  We don't necessarily need to be on the coast but do want to be close enough to be able to spend the day on the beach.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Come south a few miles to Manatee county.
View Quote

This, North Manatee (Ellenton) has some good retirement communities / over 55 "Trailer" parks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  We will check those locations out also.  We don't necessarily need to be on the coast but do want to be close enough to be able to spend the day on the beach.
View Quote

Even Ocala/Gainesville (middle of the state) is less than 90 minutes either way to the coast.

And look at the Springs up here as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I as well have a Trailer in the  largo Clearwater area and  am moving to the Ocala area . We put one up on the River.   , hell gas was 50 cents cheeper than Pinellas county .
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in NW Hillsborough...

Pinellas ...

I can't wait to GTFO.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Even Ocala/Gainesville (middle of the state) is less than 90 minutes either way to the coast.

View Quote

what springs am I looking for.... seems to be a lot in Florida  LOL
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ginnie Springs
Blue Spring State Park
Ichetucknee Springs/River

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for the Ocala area. We're out on a big beautiful spring fed lake in the Natl Forest. Great rural lake lifestyle but only 35 miles to good restaurants, our bank, ABC, Lowe's, HF, Aldi's, WM and Publix. Zero crime, quiet, great drinking water, 99.6% ypeepo in this ZIP and lots of critters, neighbor had a bear yank down his fish feeder out over the canal last night.

Love it out here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wife and I are thinking of retiring to an over 55 community in the Clearwater area.  
View Quote

Sounds like you are looking for a forever nap before it's time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds like you are looking for a forever nap before it's time.
View Quote

Not at all.... just wanting to enjoy life before we're too old to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Ocala area. We're out on a big beautiful spring fed lake in the Natl Forest. Great rural lake lifestyle but only 35 miles to good restaurants, our bank, ABC, Lowe's, HF, Aldi's, WM and Publix. Zero crime, quiet, great drinking water, 99.6% ypeepo in this ZIP and lots of critters, neighbor had a bear yank down his fish feeder out over the canal last night.

Love it out here.
View Quote

Sounds like a great place!
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ginnie Springs
Blue Spring State Park
Ichetucknee Springs/River

View Quote

Wife and I snorkled some river up there and went right past a gator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top