Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2021 6:41:25 PM EDT
link
Interesting - I never knew this was here.  Anyone know if the "cleanup" ever completed?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Fascinating.  I never knew of any of that, or of Karen Silkwood.

Edit - (not a native Okie, came here in 2004)
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 1:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
This was a big deal back in the 70's,never did hear if cleanup was completed.About this time PSO was trying
to build the  Black Fox nuclear power plant near Inola,but protesters and the Three Mile Island incident got that shut down.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I’m getting old. Hwy 74 just south of Canadian River and Cresent on east side of road. You can see some  buildings from highway, I don’t go through there often but appears there is still activity there as I’ve seen different vehicles in there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a long story, they even made a movie about it pushing conspiracy theories about the whole thing, the movie starred Cher as Karen Silkwood. Truth is Silkwood was into hard core drugs, she stole nuclear materials from the plant and apparently stored it in her refrigerator, thus contaminating her own family's food. She was at a local bar, already stoned on drugs and drinking heavily, she then decided to drive herself home, ran off in a culvert and killed herself, pretty predictable when you consider the circumstances.  Even the movie acknowledged she was stoned and drunk when she decided to drive home.
View Quote

Dude, was you smokin when you typed this?    Meryl Streep played Silkwood and Cher played a friend of hers. Story was she was poisoned, framed then killed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh my gosh i remember that movie!!
Yha it was another lefty wet dream movie like china syndrom.  If they refined uranium then they
Must of had urainum hexafloride UF6 out there and that stuff is the worst of all worlds!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guess I'm getting old. Hwy 74 just south of Canadian River and Cresent on east side of road. You can see some  buildings from highway, I don't go through there often but appears there is still activity there as I've seen different vehicles in there.
View Quote
Cimarron Environmental Response Trust is still doing testing and maybe cleanup still.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a long story, they even made a movie about it pushing conspiracy theories about the whole thing, the movie starred Cher as Karen Silkwood. Truth is Silkwood was into hard core drugs, she stole nuclear materials from the plant and apparently stored it in her refrigerator, thus contaminating her own family's food. She was at a local bar, already stoned on drugs and drinking heavily, she then decided to drive herself home, ran off in a culvert and killed herself, pretty predictable when you consider the circumstances.  Even the movie acknowledged she was stoned and drunk when she decided to drive home.
View Quote
She smuggled it out in her coochie.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pardon me if I accidently mixed up the roles of the actors in this liberal's wet dream that came out almost 40 years ago. Yes, Karen Silkwood had radiation poisoning, it makes you think about which body cavity she used when she smuggled the radioactive materials out of the plant. The proper container to safely carry those materials was just too big to fit internally.
View Quote
She didnt carry them safely.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Didn't Kerr-McGee end up settling with her family? Been too long ago.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently ran across some vids on YT about Kerr-McGee and nuclear fuel production near Gore, OK.  I don't recall the name but they're kind of interesting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top