Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2021 11:05:55 PM EDT
Hi y’all,

Might have a possible job offer up in Cheyenne. I’m currently in Alabama looking to change careers to personal training (currently a municipal cop).

Problem is, I need to have a yes or no answer for the possible offer on 5.24. My wife and I are not finding housing though. The issue with that is we have two 60lb dogs and a cat. We love the idea of moving up there but not having a roof over our head is definitely an issue.

We are not opposed either buying or renting but most of what we are seeing is out of our budget ($1.1k rent or ~$220k house) with me taking a pay cut.

Any of y’all know a place? Obviously if the employer declines me this post is useless. But I want us to be prepared if he is willing to hire me.

Any help is appreciated,
- PBWalsh
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Market is thin af right not. We closed in march and it was slim pickings. Things do go fast.  Rentals all go to the Warren crowd. Anything under 220 is gonna need a lot of work. Fyi, my mortgage is 1380 for 299k house. And that was a steal when i got it. Zillow is your friend. If you do need a realtor,  i highly recommend the one we used.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat, though my offer is in laramie. Never expected the market to be this tough.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Part of it is folks escaping the cities. I'm partially guilty of this, leaving Colorado for here. The other thing is the taxes and cost of living.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Part of it is folks escaping the cities. I'm partially guilty of this, leaving Colorado for here. The other thing is the taxes and cost of living.
View Quote

Same here, except we’re escaping San Antonio. We were lucky when we got our house and land bought when we did, because other wise we wouldn’t be moving up there.

And on that, we just found out what our address will be and they’ll break ground for the house within the next couple weeks!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, looks like Wyoming is not to be for now. We just ain’t finding a decent place to live that we can afford. I now have to deliver the news to the employer. Perhaps they already found another candidate for hire.

I appreciate y’all’s input. But I’ll stay in Alabama for now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Market is thin af right not. We closed in march and it was slim pickings. Things do go fast.  Rentals all go to the Warren crowd. Anything under 220 is gonna need a lot of work. Fyi, my mortgage is 1380 for 299k house. And that was a steal when i got it. Zillow is your friend. If you do need a realtor,  i highly recommend the one we used.
View Quote

Yeah, we lucked out when we moved here in 2006. Realtor was showing us some older houses around town and nothing was clicking with me. Wife and I started just driving around some of the newer neighborhoods, and stumbled upon a house that had a for sale sign and stopped to take a look. Had the biggest backyard in the development, and a nice view overlooking the prairie to the south. Told the realtor the address and he got in touch with the realtor handling the property and worked everything out. Owner was a young USAF officer that had moved down to the Springs, and we got it for a good price. Houses in this area are currently going for about 100k more then they were back in 2006. Hopefully my realtor in CA can sell my Mom's house as soon as the probate hearings are done (Mom passed in Oct, Sister in Jan), I'll use that to pay off this house. She says the market out there is crazy right now, and even though the house is in bad shape it should sell as soon as she puts it on the market for around 350k.

Your house is in an older neighborhood, but the previous owner is a handy guy and damn good at landscaping. He and his wife added some nice curb appeal to that house from what it originally looked like. I hadn't been down in the basement of your house much, but believe they finished most if not all of it?

ETA: you're right about the FE Warren crowd, since I was once one of them...but retired and stayed in place. Houses in my neighborhood come and go on a regular basis with Military folks moving in, then moving out a few years later. The house two doors down has had 4 different military families through it, same with a bunch of other houses in this development. And I think we're up to three LEOs, one has a backyard that butts up to a section of mine, then a K9 cop at the entrance, and I believe another in the middle.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, we lucked out when we moved here in 2006. Realtor was showing us some older houses around town and nothing was clicking with me. Wife and I started just driving around some of the newer neighborhoods, and stumbled upon a house that had a for sale sign and stopped to take a look. Had the biggest backyard in the development, and a nice view overlooking the prairie to the south. Told the realtor the address and he got in touch with the realtor handling the property and worked everything out. Owner was a young USAF officer that had moved down to the Springs, and we got it for a good price. Houses in this area are currently going for about 100k more then they were back in 2006. Hopefully my realtor in CA can sell my Mom's house as soon as the probate hearings are done (Mom passed in Oct, Sister in Jan), I'll use that to pay off this house. She says the market out there is crazy right now, and even though the house is in bad shape it should sell as soon as she puts it on the market for around 350k.

Your house is in an older neighborhood, but the previous owner is a handy guy and damn good at landscaping. He and his wife added some nice curb appeal to that house from what it originally looked like. I hadn't been down in the basement of your house much, but believe they finished most if not all of it?

ETA: you're right about the FE Warren crowd, since I was once one of them...but retired and stayed in place. Houses in my neighborhood come and go on a regular basis with Military folks moving in, then moving out a few years later. The house two doors down has had 4 different military families through it, same with a bunch of other houses in this development. And I think we're up to three LEOs, one has a backyard that butts up to a section of mine, then a K9 cop at the entrance, and I believe another in the middle.
View Quote

They did a really good job of the basement. It's basically our master suite
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get a decent 2-3 bed townhome for just under 200k, at least in my neighborhood.
Under 200k properties that aren't total disasters were getting snapped up scary fast last year, I imagine it's only gotten worse now - no sooner do I see a "for sale" sign than a "sale pending" sign pops up in a week or so.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Also for you out of staters understand that Cheyenne (similar in this respect to Jackson) is not WY. Cheyenne is CO north.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also for you out of staters understand that Cheyenne (similar in this respect to Jackson) is not WY. Cheyenne is CO north.
View Quote

It's a nice happy medium for the likes of the wife-unit. I find no one can drive here either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Been checking Zillow. I have a strong desire to return home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Long shot, but does anyone know of any upcoming rentals? I'm finally in a position career wise I can move back home if I find something. Needs to have a yard and allow dogs. I'll eventually buy again once I get there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Long shot, but does anyone know of any upcoming rentals? I'm finally in a position career wise I can move back home if I find something. Needs to have a yard and allow dogs. I'll eventually buy again once I get there.
View Quote

@Sparky

IM me your info and I’ll pass it on.

I’m flying to Cheyenne in the am to help my son move to Moody in Valdosta.

They have a 2/2 with 2 car garage and small yard and they had two dogs and a cat. Nice place.

I’m sure his landlord can give you some info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top