Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2021 4:59:49 PM EDT
This is a long shot I know, but my LTCF for Chester Co. is coming up for renewal soon. The old Sherriff didn't require references for years before, but the new Dem Sherriff is following everything to the letter & I'm a bit caught out. Don't have a lot of people around that are into shooting & I usually get the "what do you need that for..." line when it comes up.

So if anyone would be willing to swap info and be references for each other in Chester Co. that would be amazing. Totally fine with having my info down as someone else's reference in exchange, but I can understand if most don't want a total random as theirs.

Just thought I would ask, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that the references have to live in the county where you're applying.  I don't think that any of the references that I used even lived in PA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think that the references have to live in the county where you're applying.  I don't think that any of the references that I used even lived in PA.
View Quote

You know what, you may be right & I'm completely wrong here. I could have sworn there was some written thing about references being from the county. I have been checking & nothing on what they sent me & the website either. I also just saw that someone renewed in 2020, how I have, just leaving it blank and was fine. We really need to get Constitutional Carry in PA

Well not having to worry about county or possibly references at all still, kind of solves my problem. I've got some time, I'll have to look into it a bit further, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You can Im me if you need one

Our Berks sheriff doesn’t require them but it’s on the form.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Even Philadelphia county doesn't use your references (even though they are on the form) -- can't imagine Chester County would be worse than Philly?!  From memory I think there was a lawsuit against Philadelphia which stopped them from throwing a lot of barriers into the process.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#5]
There was never a law stating references had to be from the same county or even the same state. But, that didn't stop some sheriffs from making this illegal requirement. It wasn't until people started making a raucous and threatening the sheriffs with lawsuits that the nonsense, for the most part has stopped.

I've held a license to carry firearm for years and I've never had one of my references called. I've also been a reference to many people and no one has ever called me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I could have sworn I remembered there being a requirement for the references to be within the county, but in practice, they didn't even need references last time I went through this. It might have been Delaware County though, from when I lived there? Chester might not even require them still, like the last time. I had an email out to someone that said they just left it blank, like I usually do, but haven't heard back. We'll see.

Thanks all for the help, I already have one that is actually in Chester Co. still need one more to check the box, if anyone is feeling gracious. We have got to get Constitutional Carry across the line in PA
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Chesco.  PM me if you are stuck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Under Sheriff Welsh they weren't required. No idea if the new Sheriff requires them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
They don't do anything with them. None of mine ever got calls.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 12:43:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Bucks County’s online system still asks for them, honestly don’t remember if they were mandatory or not, but can say with absolute certainty they’ve never called mine in 5 rounds of renewal. I just renewed this past week. Time from submitting the app online to getting a text that it was ready for pickup was 40 minutes. Wife submitted her first application  and was approved in 45 minutes, again with no references called.
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Delco used to require references and they used to call them. I know that because they did it for me.

People bitched and pushed back. Now the Delco sheriff still asks for them but doesn't call.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
For Lawrence county the form specifically says they have to be in the same county and not related to you.  Guess every county could be a little different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top