Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 1:52:39 PM EDT
Why do most cheeseheads feel the need to burn everything on their property that doesn't move?  Watching 20 foot high fires on the neighbor's property.

Lived several other states, and this is a WI specialty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you burn off the under brush and dead grass you will not have the brush fires California and other places have.  
The fire dept I was on would burn some farms lands because it was required.    I don't remember the exact reasons or what program the land was under.  We would do it as practice.  That was easier than getting a call because someone screwed and we had to go out and really have a hand full.
If you burn your ditch bank you don't get trees and brush blocking the water flow.

I am sure ther are other reasons.

Besides a good fire can be fun.   Cook food, tell stories warm your butt on a cold morning or evening.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
pretty typical around here to control invasives
especially in oak savanahs
i like goats better
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
50-60 years ago it was a spring ritual.  The farmers would be out burning the pasturea off and the ditches as well.  If they did that now they'd probably need special dispensation from the Pope - or worse yet - a permit from the DNR.  My Grandpa always came out to our farm to get in on the "spring burn", so it must be a holdover from the old country.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The natives used to burn from Milwaukee to the Mississippi to keep the prairies going.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought we were under a no burning order state wide?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought we were under a no burning order state wide?
View Quote

Only on DNR fire protection lands.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]
On a clear night you can see the tire fire from my place.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am guilty of burning everything...With a beer in my hand of course
View Quote

It is good to see you are prepared.  I'm not sure the 8oz of beer left in the bottle will control the raging campfire you built, but it is better than nothing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in the day if you were using your John Deere B and a 2 bottom plow burning off debris made plowing a lot easier. Now I think people do it to get the pastures etc to green up sooner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why do most cheeseheads feel the need to burn everything on their property that doesn't move?  Watching 20 foot high fires on the neighbor's property.

Lived several other states, and this is a WI specialty.
View Quote

I noticed that when I moved here quite a few years ago.
Also, they take down trees for no apparent reason. It's like if they see a tree, they hate it and have to take it down, but then try to grow new trees in perfect rows. The tree could be in the middle of a field they have never even walked to or around. But it's there....and it needs to be cut down. Just for being a tree.

Ditch burns? Why pull or cut when you can just burn it clean? That's some ritual stuff right there!

Also.....everything they do has to make noise. Everything needs a motor and that motor needs the exaust either thrown away or at least be modified to make as much noise as mechanically possible. I tell my wife still that Wisconsin is the noisiest state I've ever been in. It's constant.

But......You'll get used to it. And come to embrace it.
I still like living here. Great people. I've even considered moving, but just like the people too much. Great place to do business.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
It's no big deal unless everything is bone dry or there is a wind/gust advisory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Everyone rural has a burn barrel. If it's not recyclable and it's combustible, in it goes. 30 years ago when I moved here, it was just "in it goes", there was no recyclables.

I have one too... but I don't like the smell of burnt plastic, so I don't burn anything not paper or wood that doesn't burn "clean". Brush fires are common here when clearing woods for a building, and anything 2" diameter or bigger is saved for firewood. Everything smaller goes into one big bonfire. Rich people use big industrial woodchippers & tree services. Poor people use a 1/2 gallon of gas and a match. Virtually everyone has a woodburner of some kind, for a supplemental, or even primary, heat source for their home or garage. When you own wooded land, the only cost for firewood is some sweat.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Burning doesn't bug me at all, I grew up on a farm where that was the only real option.  Living *in town* with neighbors who burn trash like wire insulation, plastics, mattresses, wet leaves, and anything else they can grab is insane to me.  Particularly because they don't care about which way the wind is blowing, and we're east of them.

If you're going to do it, great, just wait for a low wind day and get an extremely hot fire going before you throw something on that smolders.  Just about the only things they don't burn are tires and metal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Only on DNR fire protection lands.
View Quote

Oh really, I heard it was all land state wide!  Got a source?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh really, I heard it was all land state wide!  Got a source?
View Quote

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestFire/restrictionsFlash.asp

"Burning permits suspended
In order to protect the health and safety of the citizens of Wisconsin, we are taking proactive measures by suspending all DNR burning permits until further notice.

Therefore, all burning debris in barrels, piles on the ground and grass or wooded areas with annual burning permits in DNR protection areas is prohibited at this time. Burning permits are required by the Wisconsin DNR in DNR forest fire protection areas to conduct burning of legal materials when the ground is not completely snow-covered.

Eliminating ignition sources on the landscape reduces wildfire risk, smoke for vulnerable populations and person-to-person contact. Emergency responders and firefighters have an increased need to take pandemic precautions so they remain available to continue to protect the public from wildfires and reduce the spread of COVID-19.

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Remember to report wildfires by dialing 911 immediately."

What are DNR protection areas?

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]
We burn a huge bon fire every fall once there is a little snow. Reason is garbage and brush piles attract unwanted vermin. Like mice, skunks etc.  Keeping your property cleaned up is better then having a dump.

I also cut a lot of trees down every year. For firewood to heat our house and shop. Could be an overhanging or dead tree near a building or other valuable asset on my property. Not going to wait for it to destroy something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a raised garden I have not used for a couple of years.  I plan to burn off the garden and turn the soil over once the winds die down.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

After I was done shooting Sunday, I burnt my range.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hopefully not with tracers
View Quote

That looks exactly like the kind of fire that happens when a 40mm flare is shot out of an M203 and hits the ground. Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I burned about 5 acres of prairie and 15 acres of woods this spring.
Burning does wonders for grasslands. The wildflowers bloom much more profusely after a burn.
Keeps back invasives and woody stuff.
Burning the woods clears out all the small tree seedlings. I had areas in my woods that were NOTHING but a solid carpet of Sugar Maple seedlings.
A slow creeping woodland fire kills them all and allow a big diversity of plants to grow.

People are amazed at hard it is to get a woodland to burn. Conditions need to be right, low humidity, a good stiff wind and dry conditions.

Now if the dam deer herd would be cut down to a balanced level so I could see White Oaks grow from acorns on.
Oh well, I'll just have to wait till CWD cleans the bastards out I guess.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I think I need a campfire on Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:16:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am guilty of burning everything...With a beer in my hand of course
View Quote

Same same.
I like the fire.  The fire is my friend.
If I could build.one of those 87 pallet fires, I would!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#26]
nvm... image won't post...... I forgot I'm not special enough to post pictures...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
nvm... image won't post...... I forgot I'm not special enough to post pictures...
View Quote

Just use imgur or another free hosting site.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just use imgur or another free hosting site.
View Quote

Doesn't work unless you're a paid member.

edit: I was doing it wrong. Thanks Nam.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:56:02 AM EDT
[#31]
I can’t burn shit and not drink beer, I can’t drink beer and not burn shit
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#32]
As to the cutting of trees....   We have a HUGE issue here with the invasive Emerald Ash Borer.  Kills the large ash trees quickly!  In prevention, if one tree is infected, surrounding ash trees must come down.  When these are cut, they are often replaced by non ash trees, but that is not always possible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I had to take a forty ft ash tree down 3 weeks ago.   The ash tree next to it will have to go down year.   I am going to replace them with Sycamore trees.   I have 6 waiting to be planted as soon as it gets warm enough with out freezing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#34]
The emerald ash borer wiped out thousands of trees back home. They and the dutch elm disease were hell on all the nice shade trees. It is sad to watch as a whole street of beautiful trees are cut down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The emerald ash borer wiped out thousands of trees back home. They and the dutch elm disease were hell on all the nice shade trees. It is sad to watch as a whole street of beautiful trees are cut down.
View Quote

Wiped out all my ash trees the last few years...

My hometown got hit with Dutch Elm disease and they took out an entire mile of the oldest trees town...they arched over the street and it was a great effect...that's all gone and the present residents never got to see it or feel the magic the street had in midsummer...really attracted the fireflies too...

Such a shame.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I was wrong.  The second ash trees is budding out completely.   I am surprised and happy about that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top