Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 10:13:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my dads close friends from high school lives there.  He loves it!

I just wish I knew more about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I can think of a lot of places worse than Cookeville here in TN.

I think of Cookeville as more middle TN than east TN, but it is right on that edge of both. It is the plateau and it is more east TN'ish I guess. The weather though is a bit different than down here in the valley in east TN. Winters are a bit harsher and tends to have more ice storms and colder temps. Depending on where in SC you are coming from the weather should be a bit different for you.

Cookeville has grown quite a bit in the last 20-30 years and has all of the major amenities such as restaurants, shopping, etc. Being as Cookeville is on I-40, getting to other cities/states is fairly easy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The whole area between Cookeville & Crossville is a nice place. Mostly rural outside of the immediate city limits, nothing to detract from nice country living if that's your goal.

As mentioned, a wee bit colder on winter mornings on the plateau than other areas. Kills more mosquitos though.

No clue about the local gun shops in Cookeville but Crossville has a decent but not great one.

Depending on one's hobbies, one can always find things to do. A motorcycle is a great idea for seeing the area as that's prime riding geography.  Caney Fork River is nice for canoeing as well.

I hear Memphis is a close second place............................
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I hear Memphis is a close second place............................
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#8]
i lived in cookeville for past 16 years and just moved to far east TN last summer

it used to be a small college town, with an extremely low cost of living and extremely high level of education, and it won a bunch of awards back in the day as most affordable place in the US.  but it's grown a lot since then.    Combination of the normal housing crunch with damn yankees moving into the state, with decent folks trying to get a little farther from nashville AND last spring there was a tornado that destroyed over 100 houses.  

so it won't be easy to find a decent place to live.

there are several good gun shops in the area.  one has an indoor range.  there are 3x 1000 yard ranges within 1.5 hours (Oak Ridge, Tullahoma and dead zero in Spencer) and I used to host sniper and PRS matches on a farm just south of cookeville, so there's quite a lot of long distance shooters in the area.   you could also go south of nashville to another range, but it's private and there's a long list.

oak ridge and dead zero also have monthly 3gun, uspsa, NRA/CMP HP, benchrest and IDPA matches.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I am retired military, I don't have the combat experience for Memphis.
View Quote

Well, Sonny, now is your chance to expand your horizons...................  

Saw your bike pic. Lotsa of curvy mountain roads in the area. While enjoyable at any speed, a dresser won't be the perfect bike to take advantage of the geography, IMO. Might be time to add a second bike?  

Ever ridden a Ducati?  

My ride:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am looking at adding a Moto Guzzi V7 when the budget allows.
View Quote

While nice, *I* would be concerned about where to take it for servicing, repairs, etc. Hell, I can't even tell ya who in Mid to East TN sells Moto Guzzi's?

But you never answered: have ya ever ridden a Ducati?  
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I live about an hour away from Cookeville and have always told my wife that if we moved it would be to move closer to Cookeville. If we go out to eat/shop it’s usually there. It is growing quickly so I would look at the areas surrounding it. Maybe towards Sparta for the lower property taxes of White Co. It’s within 1-1 1/2 hours of Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville but still in rural area.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:44:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I live in Cookeville. Let me know when you’re in the area and I’ll show you around.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
While I am retired military, I don't have the combat experience for Memphis.
View Quote

The plateau is a nice place.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Technically Cookeville is on the highland rim not the plateau
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I was referring to Monterey.

But I just looked and there is NOTHING (well hardly anything but land) for sale on Zillow.

It’s nuts, I could flip my place for 650ish I’m guessing, but unless we build, all your equity is going to buy a tiny overpriced place on a postage stamp lot and that defeats the purpose of cashing out.

Real estate is crazy right now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah, i sold and bought land.  will build when construction gets reasonable again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top