Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 9:05:46 AM EDT
Hey all. I'm trying to decide if I should switch from Sprint to Tmobile.? They have a 55+ plan that is cheaper by about 10 bucks a month, and my current phone is starting to have battery issues.
I have a Samsung S6, and need to see what phone is a good replacement.  My questions are"

-Is 5g better, worse or just the same.
-Any difference (Sumter/Camden Area mostly) in coverage. better worse same?
- Been reading a lot of the new phones have issues dropping calls and connections? Can anyone chime in?
- Any phone recommendations or phones to stay away from?

I mainly use the phone for calls, GPS and checking the web when in the car.

Any input is appreciated.

Maybe, just maybe I'll get to go to the range when the ammo situation changes, or hell freezes over whichever comes first.

Peace,
Jim
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesnt tmobile use sprints network? A lot of phone companies use the same networks. Like walmart phone plans use verizons, ect. Boost and mynt mobile use sprint network i think. Just read the fine print.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I don’t think that any company has widespread 5G coverage.

From my understanding the range on 5G is less, meaning a shorter distance between towers. Initial areas are downtown areas, it will be slow to spread to the rural areas.

One of the benefits of 5G is for high speed communication between objects such as cars. It is an enabler for autonomous driving.  It won’t make much difference for your texts or phone calls.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.
Sprint and T mobile may share parts of the same network as I understand it. When I called them I was told (by sprint and tmobile) my Sprint phone would not work with TM. That tells me all parts of the network can not be shared. I'm no expert but was told there are different frequencies in the network, and some are shared some are not. But then again if I had the answers I wouldn't have any questions.

thanks again,
Jim
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Tmobile owns Sprint.  They are the same.  Any phone you buy now will be 5g ready, and you don't really pick which bandwidth it uses.  The cheapest answer is the Samsung A series instead of the S series.  They work just as good for what you want and cost a ton less.  I doubt that Tmobile is even selling new plans under the Sprint name, so get the cheapest plan that suits your needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top