Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2022 10:24:47 AM EDT
Can yall tell me about the Casper area?

Texas is getting too crowded for me and I just want to be left alone. I was looking at Alaska but apparently, it's being overrun by commies from Cali and everyone tells me I can't make the winters up there.

I found about 160acres about 40minutes outside Casper that really intrigues me.

Home cost building per square feet, the average depth of water, internet access so I can still surf arfcom?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned land outside of Casper. Many properties were sold by the same company who bought up a big ranch.   West of Casper, very low chance of drilling a well and finding potable water. I know several people who drilled 3 or more unsuccessful wells. About 250 an acre is going price. If you are looking at the one listed at Powder River ...don't. Unless you are just buying it for recreation and not to live on.

Lots of the parcels are owner carry. People from out of state buy, make some payments and then let it go back. They have made a killing on the land selling it, getting it back and selling it again and again.

As far as Casper...

It has all the things you need. More than I am used to.  2 Walmarts (technically on is in Mills), Home Depot, Sams Club, a mall with all of those kind of stores.  Event center, Harley dealership, other brand powersports dealers, ski slopes, etc, etc.  It has pretty much everything.
Windy, Cold in the winter. It doesnt bother me, but its something to think about.

Our internet service is out of Casper. Mountain West.  They have the towers set up everywhere that beam to your house.  We are VERY rural and we have good internet. (maybe not city person good, but good enough for us)
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have owned land outside of Casper. Many properties were sold by the same company who bought up a big ranch.   West of Casper, near no chance of potable water. I know several people who drilled 3 or more unsuccessful wells. About 250 an acre is going price. 8f you are looking at the one listed at Powder River ...don't. Unless you are just  buying it for recreation.. not to live on..

Lots of the parcels are owner carry. People from out of state buy, make some payments and then let it go back. They have made a killing on the land.
View Quote

Here is where the land is located.
https://goo.gl/maps/goFRLcpiJZo3F8Qx9

I am not familiar with the area hence the reason I am asking. I know water is a precious resource and I want to make sure it's accessible.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link doesn't work for me. Do you have a Listing?

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Link doesn't work for me. Do you have a Listing?

View Quote

https://www.landio.com/listing/wy-natrona-00002
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it in a superfund site or what? 160 acres for 100k sounds pretty good. Has to be a water issue. Good luck though, maybe you found your slice. Still looking for ours
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it in a superfund site or what? 160 acres for 100k sounds pretty good. Has to be a water issue. Good luck though, maybe you found your slice. Still looking for ours
View Quote

I am not really sure.

I am not 100% committed to anything as this is a search for the absolute perfect location.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am not really sure.

I am not 100% committed to anything as this is a search for the absolute perfect location.
View Quote

I always keep that superfund thing in the back of my mind while I'm looking as they seem to be all over the place.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#8]
No there is not a superfund site that I know of in the area.  Land in that area is typically about $250 an acre to $400 on the really high end.  There is no water.  I know a few people out there who ranch, but live in Casper.  They haul water to cisterns. There was a place to get water in Mills right off of 20/26 on the far west side of Casper. I dont know if its still there.  20/26 is a decent highway out to there, when the weather is good.  I looked at 1800 acres right where you are looking. It may be the same place broken up.  I owned land not 5 miles from there in the past. Just on the other side of Emigrant Gap.
I like it out there.
BUT, it would be hard to get started. Power is probably $20,000-25000 a mile and maybe more now with all of the price increases over the last couple years. You can get away without having a real road/driveway, but it will beat you and your vehicle up and limit when you access your homesite according to the what the weather is doing. If you try to drill a well it will be no less than $25,000 and no guarantees of potable water. People say the water they hit would kill the salt sage. Thats not good. Natrona county is one of the counties in Wyoming that requires all of the home/building/property inspections.

Remember for hunting you arent a resident for one full year from the time you become a resident (drivers license). If that is important to you. Although getting tags for antelope wont be a problem im sure.  We had 5 antelope and 5 deer tags this year for our house. (we have 640 acres in Goshen County)

Dont look at anything in the Rock River area either. No water.

If you arent set on the Casper area, this would be a much nicer property.
Close proximity to Fort Laramie National Historic site, Guernsey Reservoir, Glendo Reservoir,  Platte River, etc.  Torrington, WY is close as is Scottsbluff, NE for all of your stores and jobs if you need one.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/112-Oregon-Trl-Fort-Laramie-WY-82212/2067719004_zpid/
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in Casper.  I'll bet you a dollar that place isn't possible to reach in the winter.  To get to it, you have to pass across several different private properties.  They can't actually prevent you access to your property, but they don't have to make it easy either.  

If you find something around here, I'd be happy to scout it for you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top