Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2021 12:04:36 PM EDT
so I will confess ignorance on this. Having served in the USCG I would probably know the answer to a question like this but I cannot find a definitive answer on this:

Carrying a weapons on the intercostal?  Is there a rule on this? A friend of mine was telling me that this was actually not allowed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone would have to cite me a statute making it illegal.

https://www.usacarry.com/handguns-on-board-boats/
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone would have to cite me a statute making it illegal.

https://www.usacarry.com/handguns-on-board-boats/
View Quote

ok this is a good read. So in the case that Florida Fish and Wildlife stops you on the intercostal, and state laws apply it would appear that you would need to be concealed. However the hinting provision allows you to open carry while hinting and fishing correct?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Then add the additional jurisdiction question, how is the vessel registered?

If it is registered with the state ("FL xxxx yy" decals), then FL has jurisdiction.

If it is registered as a US ship (with the National Vessel Documentation Centre (NVDC) of the US Coast Guard), the state has no jurisdiction.

My father did this with a 10m powerboat because he didn't want the ugly state registration decals on the hull and paid the extra to just be marked by Vessel Name & Port on the transom.  Gave him the added ability to tell Fisheries and Wildlife to go bother somebody else as only the USCG could touch the vessel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ok this is a good read. So in the case that Florida Fish and Wildlife stops you on the intercostal, and state laws apply it would appear that you would need to be concealed. However the hinting provision allows you to open carry while hinting and fishing correct?
View Quote
Correct...

790.25...   https://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2020/0790.25

(3)LAWFUL USES.The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Question.....who needs a firearm to go fishing?
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pirates, man. Pirates!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't same rules apply as in a car?

Such as in center console or glove compartment closed.

Or just put a fishing rod on yer boat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cause the wifey says so for one thing.

The more guns the better she likes it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

better question.... who doesn't???

I imagine its because a shark might need to get a .357 sig in its cartilage brain pan instead of taking my hand off lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are dangerous things out there, with 0, 2, or 4 legs

Also you can shoot lion fish underwater with a glock.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There are dangerous things out there, with 0, 2, or 4 legs

Also you can shoot lion fish underwater with a glock.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should be armed at all times.
If you go fishing, then you go fishing awhile armed.

I don't specifically need to take a gun with me anywhere, but I do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Ever have a cottonmouth try and make a home in your boat? Its like a Chinese fire drill and a .22 loaded with rat shot does the trick.

Of course, we should always be prepared to repel boarders. And most importantly, a firearm is nice to have for self defense whether on the water or land.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ever have a cottonmouth try and make a home in your boat? Its like a Chinese fire drill and a .22 loaded with rat shot does the trick.

Of course, we should always be prepared to repel boarders. And most importantly, a firearm is nice to have for self defense whether on the water or land.
View Quote

When I read "repel boarders" all I could think of was the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and flint lock shooting at greasy faced buccaneers.

Life would have been significantly easier on the high seas with a few semi auto options I think....
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  I IWB no matter what activity I do. If it's not a prohibited place.
I carried fine on fishing trips.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All of that said, on an offshore fishing trip with a couple of ARFcommers and my trusty ole M16.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/766/iyo4km-461647.jpg

View Quote

See now that brings another question: is it legal to fire in the water .... This was what I was dancing around without asking haha
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All of that said, on an offshore fishing trip with a couple of ARFcommers and my trusty ole M16.

View Quote

I hope you policed up your brass...
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

See now that brings another question: is it legal to fire in the water .... This was what I was dancing around without asking haha
View Quote

Supposed to be in Federal water. Not state.

Not going to look it up but like 7 miles out from the shoreline.

7 miles is a crooked line because the shoreline is crooked.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bravo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've always wanted to try explosives ...
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shit you not... One of my bucket list items is to pull the Homer Simpson and use an M80 in a pond to see what happens...
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I shit you not... One of my bucket list items is to pull the Homer Simpson and use an M80 in a pond to see what happens...
View Quote

Been their, done that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been stopped many times by FWC to check for the proper gear, lic and registration. Always had a weapon open carrying on my hip and a rifle on board. Never had one question me about it.

I believe though to carry conceal though even while fishing you need a conceal carry lic. But you can open carry.

paragraph above bullet pic covers conceal carrying while doing activities

Link

Who needs a gun while fishing. Question....why not if it's legal. If you have to ask why then..............now if your out fishing on the intercoastal waterway. You can't stop at a bar/restrauant on the water and still open carry. You must carry concealed if you have a CWL.

Just Google Florida law it's there. But to be on the safe side. I have a copy of laws on the boat just in case I run into a relocated out of state officer who does not know Florida law. It happens...
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've done that. It's a hoot. we were 25 miles off shore
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't know about you guys, but some of the boat ramps that are most convenient access to good fishing spots are places I would not want to have possession of a vehicle, a boat, and a ton of expensive equipment with no means to keep tweakers away from that shit... not to mention the entire drive to and/or from the ramp or spot in the mangroves, plus I'm not leaving a gun in my SUV unless I absolutely have to.

If I go kayak fishing, I typically do - just because I don't want to have to worry about losing one of my carry guns if I flip the boat and a hatch opens, or I fall out and it floats off, or something... but if I'm in anybody's actual boat, the gun is coming with me in a backpack.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree with you 100% about some of these boat ramps. Got a few around here.

Simmons Park is good to go. Got park rangers there. Cockroach bay ramp...noooo....Ruskin inlet is OK never had a problem there. The ramp at Alafia river on St Rd 41 I've never had any problems during the day. But use to work at Gibsonton station every so often. Heard from guys that night time is a different story. We actually ran calls there including deaths from boat accidents. Totally different types come out at night there.

But kayak or boat I open carry using a level 3 retention  holster. Especially if I'm in a kayak. I have a 13 foot old town predator though and it's extremely hard to flip it. I've never been able to do it. The only down side is it's about 90 lbs unloaded. I ain't going in the water
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I agree with you 100% about some of these boat ramps. Got a few around here.

Simmons Park is good to go. Got park rangers there. Cockroach bay ramp...noooo....Ruskin inlet is OK never had a problem there. The ramp at Alafia river on St Rd 41 I've never had any problems during the day. But use to work at Gibsonton station every so often. Heard from guys that night time is a different story. We actually ran calls there including deaths from boat accidents. Totally different types come out at night there.

But kayak or boat I open carry using a level 3 retention  holster. Especially if I'm in a kayak. I have a 13 foot old town predator though and it's extremely hard to flip it. I've never been able to do it. The only down side is it's about 90 lbs unloaded. I ain't going in the water
View Quote

I think my SeaGhost 130 is pushing that or maybe even a little heavier... I finally got tired of putting it through my back hatch and just bought a jet ski trailer, re-did all the springs, hardware, lights, bunk carpeting, etc. and now I have a much easier method of moving the kayak - plus it fits in the garage and I can leave my tackle and shit in it so it's basically ready to go whenever I get a chance to fish.

There is ZERO chance I'd leave a gun in my car at the Cockroach ramp - but with that said, I probably wouldn't leave my car there, and if a friend drove, I wouldn't be taking anything I had to leave inside their car either.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There is ZERO chance I'd leave a gun in my car at the Cockroach ramp - but with that said, I probably wouldn't leave my car there, and if a friend drove, I wouldn't be taking anything I had to leave inside their car either.
View Quote

Agree 100%

YEARS ago there use to be a boat ramp down around Port Manatee before I-275 to the Skyway bridge.

The county ended up closing it because of way too many break-ins and thiefs of vehicle. Plus a few shootings of would be theives.

Too bad that that ramp was so bad too. Because fishing was awesome from there.

If you ever want to kayak around the mouth of the little Manatee river give me a shout. You can launch from my dock. I live right at the mouth. You can park in my yard.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top