Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2021 10:17:54 PM EDT
Curious on how the laws/regulations would apply to this.

We have a theater in town that is owned by the City, but is operated by a private company. A few years ago they really laid on the security for events; Security guards, metal detectors, x-ray machines, I think they've even had a dog sometimes, and of course a LE doing a side job. They have the signage, no knives, guns, etc.

So, is this enforceable if you have a FL CCW? The property is City owned and receives tax dollars. This the the type of place that has the symphony, plays, marginal bands, your kid's dance recital.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
This is on Florida Carry's list.

Please join us (see my sig)
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is on Florida Carry's list.

Please join us (see my sig)
View Quote

So, is it a valid and enforceable policy or not? That's a large site. You could have linked to where the answer would be.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:10:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So, is it a valid and enforceable policy or not? That's a large site. You could have linked to where the answer would be.
View Quote

Sorry, there is no answer there. This problem is something we plan to address.

The .gov entity cannot convey a release of the law from the lessee. But it'll have to be fixed in court.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
regardless of the fine points of the law, if they challenge you, you can be/will be ejected or arrested.  Yeah, you can work it out in court later, but they will win the first encounter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
regardless of the fine points of the law, if they challenge you, you can be/will be ejected or arrested.  Yeah, you can work it out in court later, but they will win the first encounter.
View Quote

Challenge hell, you're not making it two feet past the property line, they have full on TSA going on. The worst I would do is show them my CCW, get an explanation, and be on my merry way some place else. I was just curious if there is any validity since it is owned by the City and not on the no carry list.

They even do the employees at the employee entrance. It's not just some bozo with a wand, they have the whole nine yards. Like I said, they have had a dog a few times. This isn't local LE, private company, must cost a fortune.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
As stated a court will need to step in. A ruling higher then you & your permit. Either follow or don't go there.
Similar thing happened with the palm beach county fair a few years back.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The FL state fair had a similar situation and lost in court due FS 790.33. You could try taking a copy of the ruling and the statute to the next meeting of the city council and see if they can order a change to come into compliance with the law.

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The city of St Petersburg let's me carry in the building department, metal detector goes off, declare you're armed, show CWL and walk on in...
Anywhere there isn't a metal detector I just walk in.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The FL state fair had a similar situation and lost in court due FS 790.33. You could try taking a copy of the ruling and the statute to the next meeting of the city council and see if they can order a change to come into compliance with the law.

View Quote

How does the city get around state preemption on gun laws?
Serious question.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote

Perhaps because it's managed by a private company? I dunno.

I may raise the regulation and State Fair case if I decide to go there or maybe point it out to my City Councilman, who hates me. lol.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote

Honest answer?  Because they haven't been challenged.

The city/county can't convey legal rights they don't have.  It just need a case to take to court.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.
To be perfectly honest I thought I was going to be a test case the first time I walked into that building department.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote

They can't legally, but if they just ignore it with their head in the sand then nothing happens until someone takes them to court.

I know a hospital (part of a taxing district) that does the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Serious question.
View Quote

You want my opinion? Because they are ignorant, they just don't know. That isn't an insult directed at them, I mean, I didn't know for sure either.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Seems like we're allowing our rights to be stripped via complacency.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:21:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Been through this once with a government building and "private" event going on.

I was met with a very assholish cop (Tampa) and his two backup buddies telling me I'm not going in armed and that was that. He said didn't care about pre-emption of government buildings in the law.

Story was relayed to Florida carry 5-6 years back right after it happened and was told then that this issue was on the radar.

Since then I just deep carry through places I know I'm legally allowed to carry rather than being truthfull with people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top