Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2021 3:27:16 PM EDT
Coming up to visit family & friends in milwaukee
Have a FL carry permit
Can I carry while there?
If not can I bring a pistol or rifle for range time?
Can I open carry if not allowed to conceal carry?

Tried a google search and it says w exception

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/fl-gun-laws/#recRestricted

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/wi-gun-laws/
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Wisconsin recognizes resident Florida CCWs.  The restrictions are on people who posses a non resident Florida license issued before 8/1/2013.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
WI does not recognize FL resident permits.

It only recognizes "Florida  license ISSUED OR RENEWED TO NON-FLORIDA RESIDENTS ON OR AFTER 08/01/2013."

https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/conceal-carry/reciprocity
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for clarifying.  I read that all wrong.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
So as a FL resident I can NOT conceal carry. But I can open carry?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You could legally open carry - except in prohibited areas - but why would you want to draw attention to yourself?  In Milwaukee, I'd think open carry would just make you a target for their seemingly large numbers of of street rats.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could legally open carry - except in prohibited areas - but why would you want to draw attention to yourself?  In Milwaukee, I'd think open carry would just make you a target for their seemingly large numbers of of street rats.  Just my opinion.
View Quote

This.  

OP:  What specific area are you going to?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't this "concealed carry bingo" game fun?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Isn't this "concealed carry bingo" game fun?
View Quote

Interesting that the very same logic used to justify a statewide mask mandate (we need to avoid a patchwork of rules from place to place) doesn’t apply to constitutional rights....
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#10]
In Florida  it has been law for long long time. You can carry in your glovebox ( whether or not locked)
A loaded gun.
Only the glove box as it is specific listed in the law.
Do not try a center console.  
You may carry ( in your hands ) a loaded firearm  that is cased in
Something made for encasing a Firearm
.it can be homemade..

Printing a Firearm is  unlawful.

I   carried in a small mens zipper hand bag.
Size of a Bible.
And my colt commander ??

Walked away from Collier County with an apology letter from the sheriff  and a fat Check for  false arrest.
And return of my gun and 2 loaded mags. After presenting a letter of " no information "
The jail in Naples is kept very chilly.??
I spent 7 hours  behind bars.
This was pre ccw in florida state. There was only county by county ccw back then( friends and family  plan) signed by  sheriff.
This was 1980ish.
Be safe , have fun.
JP
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been researching this a little further. I know for a fact that when the WI ccw reciprocity list was published back in the early days of our ccw law (which took effect on 11/1/2011) FL licenses were honored, both resident & non-res, provided you were NOT a resident of WI. I had a FL license since 2001, but had to wait for my WI license. I have relatives from FL who have a FL license, and theirs was good here on day 1 (I remember being a little pissed off about that situation, and also that we honored FL, but FL didn't honor WI). I also remember confirming that my bro-in-law from FL was able to legally carry here with his FL resident license when they visited in the summer of 2015. I'm 100% certain this was not always the way the reciprocity with FL was handled.

When did a liberal Dem become AG?

In looking through all the updates that have been posted on handgunlaw.com, they show an update posted on 8/9/19 that reads: "What Permits From Florida WI honors Updated in Permit/Licenses This State Honors Section". Over on the WI DOJ website, the reciprocity list there says it is "current" as of July 18, 2019. Apparently, that's about when it was determined that the background check done on FL residents wasn't sufficient enough to satisfy the WI law for reciprocity, and the list was modified to include FL non-resident licenses only are honored.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a little confused about this "resident/non-resident" license.  I've got a WI permit and am a WI resident.  We own a home in FL where we spend the winter.  I have a FL permit and there is no indication on it as to being a "resident or non-resident" permit.  Am I correct in thinking that because we own a home here (FL), my permit is a resident one and if I didn't actually reside here, a non-resident permit would be issued and be different?  Just wondering, as I always understood that WI wouldn't honor a permit from a state that wouldn't honor a WI permit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Resident and non resident licenses don't look any different, the only factor that determines if it's a resident or non-res license is the legal address of the license holder. If it's a FL address on the license, its a resident license. If the address of licensee is outside of FL it's a non resident license.

If your legal address is a WI address, then that's what should be on your FL license. Because it's a WI address, that makes it a license issued to a "non-resident" of FL. It's that simple.

WI's reciprocity is based on background checks that are performed on applicants before a license is issued. It's not a "you honor ours, we'll honor yours" system. WI requires that both a statewide check and a NICS check be performed before a license is issued. Any state that does both is honored by WI. FL and VA only do NICS checks on non resident applicants, therefore WI only honors those non resident licenses.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Florida permits don't have an address on them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Florida permits don't have an address on them.
View Quote

What? Mine did. My last FL license is currently "expired", since 9/18. I got a Utah instead, much easier/cheaper renewal, and almost identical reciprocity country wide. I haven't been in FL in decades, and don't plan to, so that was the only state I lost.

But I've had 3 consecutive FL licenses (including the one signed by "Charles Bronson"*) dating back to 2001. Two were 5 years each, and the third was for 7 years... 17 total years, 2001-2018. All 3 had my WI address on them. I still have all 3 in one of my gun safes.

*the Sec of State of FL in late 2000s, whose signature is on the license, was named Charles Bronson.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine was issued in 2017 - no address.  Now Nikki Fried, an anti-gun, liberal attorney, is the Dept. of Ag. Commissioner.  She's spent the last 2 years stepping all over herself, making it quite apparent she hasn't a clue, so hopefully any attempt by her to screw with the permit program will be stifled.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mine was issued in 2017 - no address.  Now Nikki Fried, an anti-gun, liberal attorney, is the Dept. of Ag. Commissioner.  She's spent the last 2 years stepping all over herself, making it quite apparent she hasn't a clue, so hopefully any attempt by her to screw with the permit program will be stifled.
View Quote

Huh.....Mine is 2016, and HAS my address. Nothing denoting res/non-res.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#18]
There's a picture of a sample FL ccw license at this link, and there is NOT an address on it.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's a picture of a sample FL ccw license at this link, and there is NOT an address on it.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resources/Concealed-Weapon-License
View Quote

IT SAYS RACE???????  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top