Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2018 2:36:00 PM EDT
Anyone know of any good carp fishing hotspots in or around the Metro East/ Southwest Illinois area. I have caught a few at Lake Lou Yeager in Litchfield and at Carlyle spillway. Not had much luck anywhere else. There used to be lots of easily caught carp at Horseshoe until bow "Fishing" got turned loose there and the state set loose the Alligator gar.

I see lots at Washington County Rec area but can't seem to entice them no matter what I use.

TLDR...looking to catch common or grass carp in SW Illinois.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Lower Stump Lake on the river near Grafton had tons of carp. Its been years since I've been though
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lower Stump Lake on the river near Grafton had tons of carp. Its been years since I've been though
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks. I will have to check it out.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Horseshoe lake. I have an employee that bowfishes there all the time and always is pulling out carp.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Horseshoe lake. I have an employee that bowfishes there all the time and always is pulling out carp.
View Quote
I have tried Horseshoe several times to no result. The population there is not what it used to be. The bow guys are taking the big fish and the gar will go after the smaller ones. Puts lots of pressure on them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have tried Horseshoe several times to no result. The population there is not what it used to be. The bow guys are taking the big fish and the gar will go after the smaller ones. Puts lots of pressure on them.
View Quote
Sounds like a win to me. Fuck those invasive bastards.  I go out bowfishing as often as possible to try to put a dent in their population.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds like a win to me. Fuck those invasive bastards.  I go out bowfishing as often as possible to try to put a dent in their population.
View Quote
After almost 200 years they are more naturalized than invasive at this point. I am talking about common carp not the stupid Asian carp. White buffalo are native species and do the same thing/live the same that the common carp does but yeah...let's kill all those huge nasty common carp to save those precious tiny bass.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

After almost 200 years they are more naturalized than invasive at this point. I am talking about common carp not the stupid Asian carp. White buffalo are native species and do the same thing/live the same that the common carp does but yeah...let's kill all those huge nasty common carp to save those precious tiny bass.
View Quote
Fuck em.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess whatever floats your boat. I would rather catch and release them than kill them.

But thanks for doing your part to save whatever it is you are saving, from whatever it is the carp are doing to them
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess whatever floats your boat. I would rather catch and release them than kill them.

But thanks for doing your part to save whatever it is you are saving, from whatever it is the carp are doing to them
View Quote
They don't suddenly become native because they've been here a while. Same with Starlings and house sparrows.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They don't suddenly become native because they've been here a while. Same with Starlings and house sparrows.
View Quote
Never said they were native...they have become naturalized now.  But you do you. Killing stuff for no other reason than because I can was never my thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Never said they were native...they have become naturalized now.  But you do you. Killing stuff for no other reason than because I can was never my thing.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top