Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2018 12:16:44 PM EDT
Quick question for you folks, how do they figure the amount for tabs in AZ? I looked in the AZ DOL site but did not seem to find the answer I was looking for. Value of the vehicle being registered of course. Then is it county to county or city to city? Would be a late model 4runner.

Thx

Sir James...
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Arizona Vehicle License Tax

The state also charges a vehicle license tax (VLT) at every registration and renewal. This tax is assessed for each $100 of your vehicle's value. Note that the value of your vehicle is calculated as 60% of the original manufacturer's retail price, and that total will be lowered by 16.25% at every registration renewal.

From here: DMV
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I see we're starting to get refugees from the newest unfriendly gun state
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
A 1 year old 32k car is about $475 for a year. If you have a new fancy vehicle, get out your checkbook. If you have an old vehicle, it can be like 30 dollars.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]
" that total will be lowered by 16.25% at every registration renewal."   that is some poor wording on the DMV site...   I assume that means every calendar year whether you own it or not and regardless if you renew 1, 2 or 5 year blocks.

This tax is half the reason I drive old cars...  ages ago I had a buddy complain about paying $60 a year to register a car in Texas, I looked at him like his head exploded.  And this was 15 years ago when a decent new car in AZ still run about $300-400 in the first year tags...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#5]
it cost me $16 for emissions and $19.75 for tags, this is on an '97 f250. when it was new the tags were outrages!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see we're starting to get refugees from the newest unfriendly gun state
View Quote

Thanks for the info Boys

Sir James...
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#7]
What the hell are "tabs"?

Anyway, as everyone above says, the license tax is dependent on the value and how old the vehicle is.  For older vehicles you can register for 2 years instead of one and save some of the fees.

My 08 Mustang was $209 for two years last year.

Also if you are in Phoenix or Tucson Metro areas you need to get a Smog Check every two years, with of course the ever present government fee.

Word of advice, there is technically ZERO grace period to get your AZ plates and registration.   Get caught driving on out of state plates as an AZ resident and it's a significant fine.  $500 or so.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The little colored stickers on your license plate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So a tag....
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:25:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
So East coast slang for "registration sticker"?     Tags is usual term.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So East coast slang for "registration sticker"?     Tags is usual term.
View Quote
I'm from the East Coast. We called it tags too.

Some people just want to be different saying it that odd way, I guess.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Where I came from in the midwest we called them tabs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI, there are several local companies that provide MVD services.  Their fees are insignificant compared to dealing with lazy state workers and the long lines and welfare rats and criminals at the MVD office.

I haven't stepped foot in a MVD office in years. 
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FYI, there are several local companies that provide MVD services.  Their fees are insignificant compared to dealing with lazy state workers and the long lines and welfare rats and criminals at the MVD office.

I haven't stepped foot in a MVD office in years. 
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up

Sir James...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top