Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2021 12:42:38 AM EDT
Gonna be making a move to South LA. real soon. Probably East Feleciana parish for distance from BR, and rural ground.

The wife is all wound up about registering and putting tags on 3 cars and two Motorcycles costing a fortune.
Her answer is to sell off every damn thing but two cars...and I ain't having that. I can't replace a 3/4 ton truck for what it will bring, and one does not betray a Ducati mistress.

She's getting info from other folks that have been transferred, and from I can glean, the fees aren't as horrible as she perceives.

Anyone got any scoop?
The various fees on the DMV website, have lots of variables, and Parish fees and taxes are all over the place.

The fees associated with having to register a Quad are clear as Mud as well. I don't even have a clue where I put the Title for ours, and we don't register them here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
It's kinda a toss up. Pay high fees to initially register but low registration renewal fees every few years.
Personally I feel states should be able to tax you one time on new from dealer vehicle purchases but not
every time the vehicle is resold.

If you think registration fees are high, wait until you start shopping for car insurance.
There is a reason we have so many lawyer billboards on the highways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we registered a trailer several months ago and it cost 450.00. That was after paying 10% sales tax on top of it. LA doesn't care where you purchased it from or how much tax you previously paid. You will pay LA tax if you want a tag. In Alabama they would prorate your taxes so say I purchased a car and paid 4.5% in NC, AL would subtract the 4.5 from the AL County tax of 10% and one would pay the difference of 5.5% to get your tags.

All of our vehicles are older so it didn't hurt too but it was still still alot. You also have to smog if required. We do not, but it is another added fee. You will find out there are lots of "added fees"
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Huggy,

From what I'm seeing, it's only going to be like 140 bucks to register each, and then really cheap tags.
We get raped on fees here, because the tax goes to fund Detroit and the burbite trash around it.

Insurance expensive eh? the Farm Bureau rep I talked to, quoted us 600 bucks cheaper than up here.
The welfare Rats of Detroit and it's burbs demand No-Fault with no cap, and it's the highest rates in CONUS.

It might be bad compared to Texas or Ark., but on the bright side, it's better than at least one other state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:35:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: S-28] [#4]
Double tap....sorry.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fas2c:
Yeah, we registered a trailer several months ago and it cost 450.00. That was after paying 10% sales tax on top of it. LA doesn't care where you purchased it from or how much tax you previously paid. You will pay LA tax if you want a tag. In Alabama they would prorate your taxes so say I purchased a car and paid 4.5% in NC, AL would subtract the 4.5 from the AL County tax of 10% and one would pay the difference of 5.5% to get your tags.

All of our vehicles are older so it didn't hurt too but it was still still alot. You also have to smog if required. We do not, but it is another added fee. You will find out there are lots of "added fees"
View Quote

450 bucks to register a trailer? That's NUTS!
How did all that add up?

Our lifetime trailer tags/registration was only 2 bills for our 24' beavertail double axle.
I might just have to keep it Mich. tagged if it's gonna get that kind of crazy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Vehicle Registration License Tax Law of the State of Louisiana

You need to find out what your local parish taxes are:
In addition to the 4.45 percent state sales tax, most parishes and many municipalities
have a local sales tax ranging from 1.85 percent to 7 percent.
add in 25 other "fees". Yes sir! Them fees add up quick.

Fees, fees, everywhere there are fees. Fees and high taxes. My wife gets so pissed. I just tell her Welcome to Louisiana!

It was her idea to move back here
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Gang!!

This ain't gonna go over well with the better smelling half though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top