Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2021 8:34:27 PM EDT
Looking at moving to Greenville SC

My company will pay all moving and half rent for six months.

I make $80,000 a year now but it would increase to $110,000

I would need a three bedroom apartment or house for temporary living.

I get the company jet twice a year on the jets schedule so if it were in Greenville I could take it to visit etc.

The company wants to buy a building there. They are renting now and they would need a full time IT staff.

So good areas, bad areas and middle of the road areas to live would be helpful.

The building is at  Brookfield Parkway in Mauldin, SC

Any help would be great
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Great place to live!

Do not locate anywhere that would require you to use Woodruff Rd. or I85 (heavy traffic).

I 385 not bad. (I 185 is a toll road)

Simpsonville and Fountain Inn are rather quaint older towns. Suggest looking for housing in those areas.

Quite a lot of homes going up all over.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say you could live pretty comfortably with that.  If i wanted to live close to greenville it would be simpsonville, maybe powdersville area, or fountain inn.  Mauldin has some pretty nice areas as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea if you making 6 figures youll do alright...traffic will be your issue
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Great advice

We put a bid on the building so hope we get it.

I will be down there for two weeks getting it ready and the president asked me about moving there.

I said I would be very interested depending on the compensation.

He said a couple things and said we would talk Monday briefly and more if/when they get the building.

I am seeing many places for rent that are 1500 to 2000 a month. That is a bit rich for apartment living.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great advice

We put a bid on the building so hope we get it.

I will be down there for two weeks getting it ready and the president asked me about moving there.

I said I would be very interested depending on the compensation.

He said a couple things and said we would talk Monday briefly and more if/when they get the building.

I am seeing many places for rent that are 1500 to 2000 a month. That is a bit rich for apartment living.
View Quote

You can rent decent houses cheaper than that. When I moved we rented a house the first year until we found a house to buy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can rent decent houses cheaper than that. When I moved we rented a house the first year until we found a house to buy.
View Quote

I am going there with in the next month so take a look around.
need to check gun laws, taxes, etc.. to make sure I want to move.

Looks good so far
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am going there with in the next month so take a look around.
need to check gun laws, taxes, etc.. to make sure I want to move.

Looks good so far
View Quote

Post up if you have questions
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are probably buying the old AHOLD or Lockheed bldg. Brookfield Pkwy right off Butler Rd. correct? Nice office park. We used to have "conferences" and fish the ponds. My.02, look at Simpsonville/Mauldin area for a decent commute. 385 in the AM is a shit show. So is 85 if you're coming from Powdersville/Easley area.

Lots of new subdivisions popping up in record time(so construction to me is a concern). Houses are selling very quickly and inventory is low. The Older subdivisions like Poinsettia, Holly Tree, Holly Trace, even Powderhorn have much better built houses and larger lots. Powderhorn and Poinsettia still have diving boards at their pools. Greenville/Upstate is a great area. Been here 22 years and will not leave.
Schools if they are important.
1) Mauldin and Hillcrest HS's are about the same. They are OK. JL Mann is a good HS.
2) Middle Schools- Hillcrest and Mauldin middle school about the same. The other middle school in Simpsonville is shit. Fisher Middle school is still very new and is located in ICAR. My son went there. It was brand new and we were not impressed. But things may have changed.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an IM.
SCBB

ETA: Gun laws and even Taxes I have zero issues with. Vehicles are taxed. Income tax is 6%. Property taxes are generally pretty good. More expensive if you line in Greenville proper though. My house is valued around $250k and we pay just under $1,500/yr in property tax on it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
House rent has gone up quite a bit. I think the one next to me in a middle class hood is pushing $2k/mo. More and more "corporate" rentals have been popping up in the older subdivisions the last 10 years it seems.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You guys are probably buying the old AHOLD or Lockheed bldg. Brookfield Pkwy right off Butler Rd. correct? Nice office park. We used to have "conferences" and fish the ponds. My.02, look at Simpsonville/Mauldin area for a decent commute. 385 in the AM is a shit show. So is 85 if you're coming from Powdersville/Easley area.

Lots of new subdivisions popping up in record time(so construction to me is a concern). Houses are selling very quickly and inventory is low. The Older subdivisions like Poinsettia, Holly Tree, Holly Trace, even Powderhorn have much better built houses and larger lots. Powderhorn and Poinsettia still have diving boards at their pools. Greenville/Upstate is a great area. Been here 22 years and will not leave.
Schools if they are important.
1) Mauldin and Hillcrest HS's are about the same. They are OK. JL Mann is a good HS.
2) Middle Schools- Hillcrest and Mauldin middle school about the same. The other middle school in Simpsonville is shit. Fisher Middle school is still very new and is located in ICAR. My son went there. It was brand new and we were not impressed. But things may have changed.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an IM.
SCBB

ETA: Gun laws and even Taxes I have zero issues with. Vehicles are taxed. Income tax is 6%. Property taxes are generally pretty good. More expensive if you line in Greenville proper though. My house is valued around $250 and we pay just under $1,500/yr in property tax on it.
View Quote

May be the Lockheed building but not sure who owned it before. I know the president came to me all giddy about it and asked me if I wanted to head up the it department there.

I said I was interested

Property tax seems reasonable and I don't have to worry about schools.
They will help me with a temporary apartment for six months but in my own after that.

I work in Florida (Melbourne and Bonita Springs) Greenville of course and a small western town in New York.

If I take this I was told I wouldn't have to travel any more. I am gone sometimes for a few months and would be nice to just be home.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

May be the Lockheed building but not sure who owned it before. I know the president came to me all giddy about it and asked me if I wanted to head up the it department there.

I said I was interested

Property tax seems reasonable and I don't have to worry about schools.
They will help me with a temporary apartment for six months but in my own after that.

I work in Florida (Melbourne and Bonita Springs) Greenville of course and a small western town in New York.

If I take this I was told I wouldn't have to travel any more. I am gone sometimes for a few months and would be nice to just be home.
great
View Quote
There are some Apts. on Butler Rd. near the property. Just take a right on Butler out of the office park. Would be a 5 min. commute and good central location to get your bearings. Not sure the cost. Handful of restaurants. When you visit make sure you check out downtown Greenville. It really is very nice. If travel does come in to play GSP is a great airport. Generally going to have a layover though.

6 months is fairly reasonable to figure out what may appeal to you longterm. Might have to do a 12 mo. lease though. But take your time. My mistake when moving here was rushing to buy a house. 20/20 hindsight we should have taken a year to figure out what the hell was going on.

Greenville is rapidly growing. Woodruff Rd and Fairview Rd. (Simpsonville) are shit shows. But there is lots to do. 1 hour from the mountain and 3 hrs. to the ocean. Outdoor Amphitheater in Simpsonville. Plenty of Lakes, Rivers, Hiking and all 4 seasons. As things progress any questions send me an IM.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Will do.
Going ro be a bit but will check back once in a while to update when it gets closer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Beerbarge is correct! Look at the older homes in places he mentioned. They are brick and well built. These newer homes that are going up fast aren't as well built IMO - I watched construction of a subdivision next to me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Beerbarge is correct! Look at the older homes in places he mentioned. They are brick and well built. These newer homes that are going up fast aren't as well built IMO - I watched construction of a subdivision next to me.
View Quote

They're throwing up a new subdivision near me that I drive past each day.  They're in various stages of framing, with some having plywood exterior walls now.  Two story houses with literally one window along the entire long side of the home, "starting the the high 100s".  The porch and its roof fell off one recently when we got a lot of rain.  They're throwing them up so quickly I can't imagine the build quality is there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Update:

New building is leased for 10 years and they gave us 6 months for building.

Guess the president didn't want to buy.

Hope I get the word soon to go there.

My 6 month trip to NY is coming up.

I would rather not go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top