Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2018 9:11:32 PM EDT
FL Deer are pretty small after all.

And can we shoot them w/ a suppressor &/or SBR?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as the weapon isn't full auto, you don't use military ball ammo, and your mag has a 5 round limit you are GTG. That said, Fl hunting regs can be confusing. get a free copy at Wal Mart in the hunting section.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with the above posts, but need you to clarify public (management areas) or private?  Some of the management areas have some odd rules/regulations so at times the answer may be a no, but in general it is a yes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm with the above posts, but need you to clarify public (management areas) or private?  Some of the management areas have some odd rules/regulations so at times the answer may be a no, but in general it is a yes.
View Quote
Yup, one of the newer WMA's near me is no-centerfire-rifles - so a AR "pistol" is OK
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As long as the weapon isn't full auto, you don't use military ball ammo, and your mag has a 5 round limit you are GTG. That said, Fl hunting regs can be confusing. get a free copy at Wal Mart in the hunting section.
View Quote
This.

I use a 68gn BTHP I handload. They work very well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The one time I went deer hunting all I had was a Mini-14.  Ranges were 50-75 yards.  I don't eat antlers.

Of course, if you'd like we can tell you that you really need a larger caliber just for insurance, or in case you run across pigs, etc. in which case I'm sure we'd be happy to help you decide to build up a 300bo or 6.5G upper....
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
So the 5 rd limit is always on public land, or only when yoy are hunting deer w tags during deer season?

Well, id probably avoid public lands during deer season if I was hunting for pigs.  You can rifle hunt pigs on piblic land only during “small game” firearm season, and any time on private land??
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So the 5 rd limit is always on public land, or only when yoy are hunting deer w tags during deer season?

Well, id probably avoid public lands during deer season if I was hunting for pigs.  You can rifle hunt pigs on piblic land only during “small game” firearm season, and any time on private land??
View Quote
Hogs on PRIVATE land is all year... no restriction on methods... rifle, car, ball bat, etc.

5 Round limit is applicable to "game", and despite hogs not being "game" I suspect when on an WMA the 5-rd limit applies, FWC legal division can clarify.

My choice of ammo for deer with the .223 is the hand-loaded Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer and 26.0 grs. W-748, a deadly combo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hogs on PRIVATE land is all year... no restriction on methods... rifle, car, ball bat, etc.

5 Round limit is applicable to "game", and despite hogs not being "game" I suspect when on an WMA the 5-rd limit applies, FWC legal division can clarify.

My choice of ammo for deer with the .223 is the hand-loaded Speer 70gr Semi-Spitzer and 26.0 grs. W-748, a deadly combo.
View Quote
I asked FWC about the 5 round limit on hogs last year and he confirmed its 5 rounds on public land.

With that said WMAs can vary, I only asked about 3 Lakes and River Lakes Conservation Area. You really have to study the brochures every year pre-season to keep yourself out of trouble. They change rules somewhat often.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#11]
All hunting with centerfire, self loading rifles on state land is restricted to five round magazines.

One of many reasons to own an AR-15 Pistol. Pistols have no magazine restrictions.

Hogs have the most liberal season of any game animal occurring on state lands, and can usually be hunted during Archery, Muzzleloading, General gun, Small Game, and special hog seasons with no size or bag limits.

There are exceptions, so it is wise to consult the individual WMA brochure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All hunting with centerfire, self loading rifles on state land is restricted to five round magazines.

One of many reasons to own an AR-15 Pistol. Pistols have no magazine restrictions.

Hogs have the most liberal season of any game animal occurring on state lands, and can usually be hunted during Archery, Muzzleloading, General gun, Small Game, and special hog seasons with no size or bag limits.

There are exceptions, so it is wise to consult the individual WMA brochure.
View Quote
Thank you. I guess I will have to get a couple five round magazine’s just in case for Public land

So pretty much you can be out on public land with the rifle hunting hogs during “general gun season “or small game season but not during deer season unless you have tags or a license or whatever to hunt deer? But if you are hunting deer legally and you feel like shooting a hug he could do that
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you. I guess I will have to get a couple five round magazine’s just in case for Public land

So pretty much you can be out on public land with the rifle hunting hogs during “general gun season “or small game season but not during deer season unless you have tags or a license or whatever to hunt deer? But if you are hunting deer legally and you feel like shooting a hug he could do that
View Quote
Maybe... but most, if not all, WMA's prohibit the use of center fire rifles during the small game season.

Like already mentioned... the rules vary too greatly to have a "So pretty much you can..." attitude towards the rules. You must read the rules for the SPECIFIC area you plan to be in... trust me, the rules vary greatly, and referencing the specific WMA rules are a must do.

Here are the brochures... read about the areas you are interested in.

WMA Brochures
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay.  Thank you sir
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top