Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2021 5:54:46 PM EDT

I did search the forums  Couldnt find a concrete answer.    I am potentially selling a completely assembled lower to someone in California.   Will ship from my FFL to their FFL.   Is this legal?   It is a Geissele complete lower.  Take off from a pistol.  

Any insight is appreciated.    Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, although the buyer will only be allowed to DROS it as a rifle receiver these days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure anymore if it has to be CA compliant prior to shipping or if the CA FFL can make it compliant in their shop.  It would suck to ship it and the receiving FFL rejects it as noncompliant.  Might be something to ask the buyer or the buyer's FFL about.  

I'm not even going to guess about the status of AR pistols anymore.  It was complicated before when there was a workaround, I'm sure it's worse now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure anymore if it has to be CA compliant prior to shipping or if the CA FFL can make it compliant in their shop.  It would suck to ship it and the receiving FFL rejects it as noncompliant.  Might be something to ask the buyer or the buyer's FFL about.  

I'm not even going to guess about the status of AR pistols anymore.  It was complicated before when there was a workaround, I'm sure it's worse now.
View Quote

I don't see how a lower, stripped or assembled, could possibly be non-compliant unless it was on the make/model ban list.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, after thinking about it for a minute it makes sense that it can be imported because of the way the law is written.  It just can't be mated to an upper in such a way as to render it an AW.  So compliance is up to the buyer.  Does that sound right?  I've been doing this for a while and it's starting to get confusing for me.  Maybe they should use CA gun laws as an Alzheimer's screening?

I don't think Geissele receivers are engraved as pistols but if the receiver was engraved "Pistol"  could you import it?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it would just get DROSed as a rifle receiver in that case.  My understanding is that unlike the paper DROS, that the computer form will not allow you to pick pistol frame/receiver for a lower unless the transfer qualifies for a roster exemption.  On paper, it used to be possible.

I'm not sure how the single shot exemption thing works anymore.  I do think that the DOJ has gone beyond its rightful authority when it comes to roster exemptions or DROSing frames or receivers as pistols, but no one can really do anything about that.

In any case, a stripped lower or a complete one cannot meet the definition of an AW unless it is on the make/model ban list.  No reason it should not be able to be DROSed, and if an FFL refuses to do it, I'd say find another FFL and stop patronizing his business at all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate all the insight.        Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top