Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2021 2:26:56 AM EDT
My friend and his family have basically been locked in their house for a year because they’re scared to death about covid. They’re finally ready to venture out into the world, and he wants me (a New Yorker) to come meet him at a gun range. I don’t think I’m allowed to even go to his house with any firearms, so I’d go right to the range, and then head home afterward.  Am I correct in that?

Anyway, I’d bring the following if they’re NJ legal. Anything wrong with the below?
1) A NY Compliant Featurless. I think you guys get one feature, and this has none. Thorsden stock, no pistol grip, 10-round detachable mag, and welded on thread protector so the barrel can’t take any kind of device.
2) A 10-round permanently fixed mag, with adjustable stock, pistol grip, and A2 flash suppressor welded to get the barrel to 16”.
3) A Mossberg 590 12-Guage Other, with a Raptor Grip. (If the range will let me shoot it. Some don’t.)

So, he has a few guns, and has the required NJ permit to buy and possess one. As a non-resident, I believe that I am allowed to go to the range without anything special. Is that right? He doesn’t have anything that I want to shoot, but can I let him shoot some of my guns? I don’t know what that NJ card requires or permits you to do. I’m looking for the law, more than “the range won’t care.” Lots of guys are shooting AR Others with all of the “evil” features and pistol arm braces that they shoulder at ranges out here, but I have the worst luck in the world and don’t want to be the guy who they decide to send through the court system to determine the legality. I like to keep it as clean as possible. The same goes here.

Thanks a ton.
       Seth
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Short answer:  yes

Longer answer:

NJS 2C:39-6f(3)(b) permits you to transport an unloaded firearm directly to or from any target range.  2C:39-6g says that the firearms being transported must be unloaded and contained in a securely fastened case or locked in the trunk - and that your course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.  This means:  go directly to the range.  Do not stop for coffee.

2C:58-3.1 allows for the temporary transfer of a firearm to anyone 18 or over, while at a firing range, for no longer than 8 hours.  The temporary recipient does not need to possess an NJ FID.  The owner of the firearm must remain present.

ETA:  All three firearms are legal to possess in NJ.  We only get cranky with semi-auto shotguns, and semi-auto rifles with detachable mags (cranky in the sense of what features you can/can't have).  You can read all the gory details in statute 2C:39-1w, along with the NJAG guidelines on assault firearms here
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you are fine.
FYI- I have see NY guys bring tons of assault style weapons to PA. I never ask nor do I care.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated. Now I need to decide how much my friend is worth in ammo. I bought it cheap, but the replacement cost is anything but.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top