Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2019 3:58:28 PM EDT
Guy bought an AR15 complete Colt upper from me on gunbroker, can I legally ship it to DC?

I feel like most places don't ship anything to DC.

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Washingtoon, DC is its own special kind of hell.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:03:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#2]
yes. Now for some items I will outline below there is a big difference whether yo have the lower or not. ironically it is having the lower readily accusable to you within DC that limits you on certain items. This is due to "constructive possession" laws.
Examples:
Mags of 10 rounds or less. Looks like anyone can own them, receive them, possess them, transfer them registered gun or not. Does not even seem to be any laws for minor possessing them.
AR barrels. Same
AR upper: same
AR handguard: same

Examples of what you can have if you have no gun in DC, but cannot have if you do have a gun on which they fit in DC:
unapproved AR stock
AR barrel under 16"
rail mount forgrip
handgun Pistol barrel that has threads

Examples of what you need to have a DC registered gun to possess in DC:
Ammo, yes it is legal to ship to DC to a DC registered gun owner, just like NJ the owner emails a copy of relevant card.

What you can't have no matter, whether you own a gun or not, or have one accessible to you or not.:
- magazines over 10 rounds -- oh and it is a felony.

As far as I know there are no uppers that make an upper non compliant in DC, so unless there is one, you can ship to a gun owner or a non gun owner.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SCRowner:
yes. Now for some items I will outline below there is a big difference whether yo have the lower or not. ironically it is having the lower readily accusable to you within DC that limits you on certain items. This is due to "constructive possession" laws.
Examples:
Mags of 10 rounds or less. Looks like anyone can own them, receive them, possess them, transfer them registered gun or not. Does not even seem to be any laws for minor possessing them.
AR barrels. Same
AR upper: same
AR handguard: same

Examples of what you can have if you have no gun in DC, but cannot have if you do have a gun on which they fit in DC:
unapproved AR stock
AR barrel under 16"
rail mount forgrip
handgun Pistol barrel that has threads

Examples of what you need to have a DC registered gun to possess in DC:
Ammo, yes it is legal to ship to DC to a DC registered gun owner, just like NJ the owner emails a copy of relevant card.

What you can't have no matter, whether you own a gun or not, or have one accessible to you or not.:
- magazines over 10 rounds -- oh and it is a felony.

As far as I know there are no uppers that make an upper non compliant in DC, so unless there is one, you can ship to a gun owner or a non gun owner.
View Quote

Ammunition for a gun you do not legally own in the city.
Even a fired shell.

They will bust you for a single fired .22 RF shell in the trunk of your car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top