Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 4:43:06 PM EDT
Hey all-

My condolences on the new magazine law you guys have to contend with.  It’s awful.

My sister lives in Jersey and has a few 15 round magazines for her Glock.  I’ve told her that she has to send them out of state, and she might end up sending them to me.  In a bit of a twist, I bought a new Glock her in FL a few weeks back and it came with a few 10 round mags.

I’m wondering if we can just basically swap?  She throw the 15 round mags in the mail to me in FL and I can send the 10 round mags to NJ.  Is that ok?  Or does the state have some sort of registration of all mags or a requirement to purchase them at an FFL?

Just trying to work this out before the deadline
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Shipping 10 round magazines to your sister in NJ is perfectly fine.

Her shipping the 15 round mags to you is slightly problematic, because NJ has made the transportation of 15-round magazines illegal since June.

Tell her to go to the post office, get some small flat-rate mailers, pre-pay the postage, bring them home, put the mags in there, and put them in the mailbox or give them to the mail carrier - that way, she never has to transport the magazines off of her property.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shipping 10 round magazines to your sister in NJ is perfectly fine.

Her shipping the 15 round mags to you is slightly problematic, because NJ has made the transportation of 15-round magazines illegal since June.

Tell her to go to the post office, get some small flat-rate mailers, pre-pay the postage, bring them home, put the mags in there, and put them in the mailbox or give them to the mail carrier - that way, she never has to transport the magazines off of her property.
View Quote
Interesting.

What would she have to do with them if she didn’t ship them to me?  Call the cops to her house to collect them?  It’s mad that they can’t be transported to comply with the law
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Interesting.

What would she have to do with them if she didn’t ship them to me?  Call the cops to her house to collect them?  It’s mad that they can’t be transported to comply with the law
View Quote
Do NOT do that.  For the love of God, DO NOT tell her to call the cops to her house to get the mags...  I won’t provide legal advice, there are plenty of people on here that will give you their free expert legal advice, but I will say unequivocally and without hesitation that calling a police officer to her house to dispose of an illegal weapon related item is highly likely to not end well for anyone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
By the way, doesn’t the compliance requirement begin on December 10th?  I could be wrong there, but I thought that’s what it was.  If that’s the case, she has a few days to get them to the post office without any issues.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Recommendations from the State Organization   ANRPC

DISPOSITION OF NON-COMPLIANT MAGAZINES.  Please follow these guidelines if shipping, transporting, or transferring magazines or firearms for purposes of compliance with the new mag ban law by the December 10 deadline (note: shipping, transport, or transfer of non-compliant items for purposes other than compliance with the new law is not permitted, and after December 10 these options are not lawful): 

Ship magazines if possible (see below if dealing with firearms that do not comply with the mag ban).  Because NJ failed to update pre-existing conflicting provisions of law when it passed the mag ban, shipping by common carrier is the option least likely to be legally challenged. Package securely before leaving the location where the items are presently stored, and avoid contents rattling.  Consider putting a couple of paperback novels into the package so you can truthfully declare the contents as “books and magazines” if required.  Do not bring others with you.  Go directly to the shipping location without stopping.  Follow speed limit laws and avoid drawing attention to yourself.  Be polite but do not answer questions and do not consent to a search if you are stopped by law enforcement on the way to ship the items.  Do not resist if you or your vehicle are searched even though you have politely made it clear you do not consent to a search. Note: Gunsitters has its own unique requirements for magazine transfer and should be contacted directly for particulars if you are using them at [email protected] or 973-610-8600.

If you are transporting items to comply with the new law rather than shipping them:  Know that there is some risk associated with even direct transportation of items and consider shipping them instead (see above).  If you have made the decision to transport nevertheless (but only for purposes of compliance with the new law): Make sure items are in a closed and securely fastened box, case, bag or container, or in a locked case if travelling out of state. Do not leave items in plain view. If you have a trunk or other secure storage area that cannot be accessed from the driver’s seat, put them in it.  Do not bring others with you. Go directly to your destination without stopping.  Follow speed limit laws and avoid drawing attention to yourself.  Be polite but do not answer questions and do not consent to a search if you are stopped by law enforcement on the way to ship the items.  Do not resist if you or your vehicle are searched even though you have politely made it clear you do not consent to a search.

If transferring magazines directly to persons authorized to possess them in NJ, try to have them pick the items up from your location rather than shipping or transpo
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Or maybe this:

Ship one batch of parts that cant be assembled into a magazine - springs, follower, floor plate. And ship the magazine shell with no spring, no follower, no floor plate in another box.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do NOT do that.  For the love of God, DO NOT tell her to call the cops to her house to get the mags...  I won’t provide legal advice, there are plenty of people on here that will give you their free expert legal advice, but I will say unequivocally and without hesitation that calling a police officer to her house to dispose of an illegal weapon related item is highly likely to not end well for anyone.
View Quote
Well, I wasn’t planning on it.  It was more of a rhetorical question honestly
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Recommendations from the State Organization   ANRPC

DISPOSITION OF NON-COMPLIANT MAGAZINES.  Please follow these guidelines if shipping, transporting, or transferring magazines or firearms for purposes of compliance with the new mag ban law by the December 10 deadline (note: shipping, transport, or transfer of non-compliant items for purposes other than compliance with the new law is not permitted, and after December 10 these options are not lawful): 

Ship magazines if possible (see below if dealing with firearms that do not comply with the mag ban).  Because NJ failed to update pre-existing conflicting provisions of law when it passed the mag ban, shipping by common carrier is the option least likely to be legally challenged. Package securely before leaving the location where the items are presently stored, and avoid contents rattling.  Consider putting a couple of paperback novels into the package so you can truthfully declare the contents as “books and magazines” if required.  Do not bring others with you.  Go directly to the shipping location without stopping.  Follow speed limit laws and avoid drawing attention to yourself.  Be polite but do not answer questions and do not consent to a search if you are stopped by law enforcement on the way to ship the items.  Do not resist if you or your vehicle are searched even though you have politely made it clear you do not consent to a search. Note: Gunsitters has its own unique requirements for magazine transfer and should be contacted directly for particulars if you are using them at [email protected] or 973-610-8600.

If you are transporting items to comply with the new law rather than shipping them:  Know that there is some risk associated with even direct transportation of items and consider shipping them instead (see above).  If you have made the decision to transport nevertheless (but only for purposes of compliance with the new law): Make sure items are in a closed and securely fastened box, case, bag or container, or in a locked case if travelling out of state. Do not leave items in plain view. If you have a trunk or other secure storage area that cannot be accessed from the driver’s seat, put them in it.  Do not bring others with you. Go directly to your destination without stopping.  Follow speed limit laws and avoid drawing attention to yourself.  Be polite but do not answer questions and do not consent to a search if you are stopped by law enforcement on the way to ship the items.  Do not resist if you or your vehicle are searched even though you have politely made it clear you do not consent to a search.

If transferring magazines directly to persons authorized to possess them in NJ, try to have them pick the items up from your location rather than shipping or transpo
View Quote
Thanks, that’s on-point.  Preposterous honestly, but that’s good info
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
By the way, doesn’t the compliance requirement begin on December 10th?  I could be wrong there, but I thought that’s what it was.  If that’s the case, she has a few days to get them to the post office without any issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One would think, but of course, that's not what the legislature did.

First, they changed the definition of large capacity from 15 to 10.  That was 2C:39-1y.  That change took effect immediately upon the governor's signature.  In that same bill, they inserted language into 2C:39-3j (the law that makes possessing a large capacity magazine a 4th degree crime) to give you a 180 day grace period.

BUT...  they did NOTHING with 2C:39-9h, which says:
Any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of a large capacity ammunition magazine which is intended to be used for any purpose other than for authorized military or law enforcement purposes by duly authorized military or law enforcement personnel is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.
The act of transporting a LCM became illegal with the passage of this bill back in June.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top