Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2018 6:06:25 AM EDT
I'm having a 38 super with a compensator built on it. I just relized that the barrel would be threaded.
Is there any way it can be CT legal?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If you use a preban frame.  Or pin the comp on, which would be a pain.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you use a preban frame.  Or pin the comp on, which would be a pain.
View Quote
Or join the Military.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
replace barrel bushing with compensated barrel bushing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
replace barrel bushing with compensated barrel bushing.
View Quote
This.  Or if it is a standard 1911 pattern slide, you can pin on the comp. It will trap the barrel bushing on the barrel, but the barrel should come right out the front of the slide for take-down.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
This /\...  I believe as an alternative to pinning, you can have it silver soldered on.

I've had good experience with my bushing comp on my pin & plate gun.  I've been running it since the late 1990s

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
have jojos pin the comp.... not a hassle, just need an open end bushing wrench.  to bad nobody makes a non threaded comp set-up like weapons research armament does for glock 19.....   they used an extended barrelthat it notched with a locking comp with lever.

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi guys, sorry I didn't get back sooner. Busy time of year.
Talked to the builder and my FFL dealer and pin and weld will work fine.
Thank You for all the advice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Would silver solder be legal? Thought about comping my M&P.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Silver solder is a gray zone. Most install a comp with Loctite. Silver solder is in that same boat. So it usually isn't considered a permament attachment.
Pin and weld and the comp and barrel are considered one piece.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#10]
While I'm no expert here, I do believe that the 'test" the ATF would apply is trying to twist the comp off the barrel. If it were properly silver-soldered (I've done some of that without any issues) you can't twist it off.  If, however, you don't apply it properly you could twist it off the threads relatively easily with enough pressure.  It's pretty subjective but I know that there is a regulation somewhere that states a ft/lbs number.  Beat that and you'll be good.  Still, it's a crap shoot with those guys.

I do have one question, however. if you pin a comp on your .45, would you still be able to disassemble the barrel from the slide?  I don't have any experience with that type of setup.

Romeo
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ATF says that silver soldering is considered a permanent method of attachment.
View Quote
Correct. Pin and weld, 50% circumferential weld, or silver solder 360
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Take down should be similar to my Wilson Tactical Elite.
Lock the slide pack, put paper clip in hole in guide rod. Ease slide forward and the recoil spring is captured.
Push out slide stop, take slide off, and remove guide rod out the rear and barrel out the front.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top