Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2018 1:44:04 PM EDT
The wife and I currently camp in a truck bed tent and after this weekend at the Grand Canyon we are really considering purchasing a camping trailer. The tent is just getting tougher to roll in and out of and we have to do a lot of packing and unpacking. We want to go more places in the next few years so I am starting to look at camping trailers around 17' and basic. Can anyone recommend a dealer in AZ that maybe you know or have had a good experience with? We are considering purchasing new or a couple years old to take some of the depreciation.  Also how much is registration in AZ on a camping trailer - same as vehicles?

Does anyone have a trailer brand you recommend or like? Right now I am leaning towards the Pacific Coachworks or Forest River. I really hate car dealers so I am wondering if camping / RV dealers are just as much bullshit to deal with or more?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
They're just as bad, I'm afraid. Before you do anything, first make sure your truck is set up
with a brake controller and know what your max tow is, so you can filter out stuff you can't do.
(I had Camping World really screw up my grand cherokee's electrical system and take 6 hours
to install a brake controller, something that's like an hour DIY.)

I don't recommend camping world. I had a friend who's GF worked at Little Dealer Little Prices and
she said it was a legit place, but their reviews are as bad as CW are.

For registration, it's like cars in that it gets cheaper over time. I got a 28' about 10 years ago,
the day I drove it off the lot my registration fee was $411 for a $25K trailer ($28K all in with
tax and reg.) This year the tags were $74.

Strongly advise buying used. There's a crapload of depreciation on these things.
Also mouseproof the hell out of it once you get it. There's also a pretty big thread on travel trailers
in GD.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
buy used a ton of people get them thinking they will go out all the time. Then they either store them in the side yard or in lot (which costs).  The never go out that much and you can get a super good deal on one if you are patient.

I have a Tepui roof top tent that goes over the bed rack and I love it.  We have a blowup mattress for it.  Very comfy and easy to set up.

EDIT:
I will say we use the Tepui mainly because we take the RZR when we go camping and it is already has a trailer.  So I would either need to have two trailers or leave it home.  We have to take the Tepui on and off everytime.  On day I am going to get off my ass in gear and weld a rack over the RZR so I can leave the Tepui on the trailer.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
........ I really hate car dealers so I am wondering if camping / RV dealers are just as much bullshit to deal with or more?

Thanks
View Quote
IMO not quite as much bullshit, but close.  I really hate Little Dealer/Little Prices.

As noted earlier the best deals are going to be found buying a used trailer from an individual that only used their new trailer a couple of times and then got tired of it.
It will take a little longer, but have your cash ready and be ready to jump on any deal you find, because if it is a good deal, it will go fast.
Another thing is to purchase it after the camping season, not before when a lot of people get motivated to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2013 3.5 Eco Boost with the trailer brake built in so it should easily handle the size of trailers that I am looking at. Right now we are just in the mulling the idea stage, but trying to sort out how much we would actually use it is tough. The average decent hotel room is @ $150, so with extra fuel, campground fees, etc. it would maybe break even? I understand a lot of ppl get romantic about how nice and fun it would be to have a camper only to later find out that they don't use it nearly enough. These things depreciate like crazy but some of the listings for used campers in AZ sure do not reflect that. We are going to wait until at least next spring but will keep an eye out for ppl selling them this Winter.

I wouldn't let Camping World touch my truck as they seem like the Quicky Lube of camper mods. If I get a camper I will probably get an weight dist./ ant sway hitch and adjust it myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IMO not quite as much bullshit, but close.  I really hate Little Dealer/Little Prices.

As noted earlier the best deals are going to be found buying a used trailer from an individual that only used their new trailer a couple of times and then got tired of it.
It will take a little longer, but have your cash ready and be ready to jump on any deal you find, because if it is a good deal, it will go fast.
Another thing is to purchase it after the camping season, not before when a lot of people get motivated to buy one.
View Quote
Agree.  We won't buy even a roll of toilet paper from little dealer.  Our trailer purchase experience was bad enough, but the service after sale was infuriating.  We convinced the manufacturer to let us take it to a dealer that sold and serviced the next model up their quality line.  But Fleetwood doesn't make travel trailers any more, I have heard.  The place we took it to, that got the problems solved, was RV General Store at 4140 West Bell Road in Phoenix.  It's Arizona Campers & Trailers now.

As for new trailers and quality, Skyline's line of trailers seem to be pretty good.  But the advice to buy used if you can is the best.  Our current TT is a 1996 Play-Mor.  Some people, like us, really like them.  Others don't.

The Turbodiesel Register website has a robust discussion forum on RVs.  http://turbodieselregister.com/  It's aimed at people with Dodge turbodiesel pickup trucks, which will have the capability to tow just about anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
We bought our trailer at Bobby Combs, on Main street, in Mesa. Bought new, didn't like the way any of the used ones looked inside. Went to Little Dealer, and the place was a joke. Sales guy told us they don't budge on price, no matter what. We told him what we found at BC, and he didn't care. We left, and will never shop there again. LaMesa RV had a tone of inventory, but not one sales guy came out to help us.

There's a place in Prescott that has good prices, but I can't remember the name of the place. Google search will pull it up. They're a Cottonwood, Prescott area only place.

Got a 21 foot Keystone Hideout for ~$17k and there was absolutely no pressure at the place. Almost wondered if they really wanted to sell us a trailer.

We have a Duramax in a Silverado 2500 HD, so there wasn't much there we couldn't pull. Our financial situation was the only hold back!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a 2013 3.5 Eco Boost with the trailer brake built in so it should easily handle the size of trailers that I am looking at. Right now we are just in the mulling the idea stage, but trying to sort out how much we would actually use it is tough. The average decent hotel room is @ $150, so with extra fuel, campground fees, etc. it would maybe break even? I understand a lot of ppl get romantic about how nice and fun it would be to have a camper only to later find out that they don't use it nearly enough. These things depreciate like crazy but some of the listings for used campers in AZ sure do not reflect that. We are going to wait until at least next spring but will keep an eye out for ppl selling them this Winter.

I wouldn't let Camping World touch my truck as they seem like the Quicky Lube of camper mods. If I get a camper I will probably get an weight dist./ ant sway hitch and adjust it myself.
View Quote
Federal campgrounds are only $18 a night in most places. We stay at Yavapai in Prescott for two nights, and it's $46 total with the reservation fee. No bed bugs, or  possibly dead hookers in my trailer, either!!You can camp in the forest around Flag for free, and also camping on the rim is free. We have a generator, so dry camping is real easy with the microwave, and the A/C!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a 36ft 5th wheel from Orangewood in Surprise/SCW, on Bell Road. We were looking for a 5th wheel we could, (and still do) live in while we build our house. We bought it used at a great price and the dealership was really easy to work with. They were asking $XXX for it, we offered a few thousand less, cash, and they went for it. They made sure everything on it worked before we pulled it off the lot. On the day we were to bring it home, there were a couple things that weren't quite right. Our salesman went and got the service manager and let him know they didn't get it right. Manager asked it we could give them a couple hours to get the issues resolved. They ended up installing a couple new parts and it was GTG. We've had it almost a couple years and have had only normal wear and tear things needing replacement, none of which have been more than a $20 part.

As mentioned, whatever you do, mouse proof that thing. No matter how small the hole looks, get it sealed. we sealed ours and have had no issues where we are living, which happens to be the mouse and pack rat capitol of the world. Our friend on the other hand, he owns a rat/mouse mobile party home that they allow him to stay in from time to time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Moab trailers are in N Phx if you want an expedition type trailer
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I was you, I would think about renting one or more before you commit $20k or what ever the amount is.  Used trailers are a tough find.  Everybody that has them up for sale found out what the depreciation is on their trailer and are trying to get their $ back.  Used trailers on Dealers lots are bought low on trade-ins, but will always be marked up.  But you have a better chance there to get a better deal.   Most of the local new Dealers are the worse than the Auto Dealership industry.  I've had a Motor home, + a toy hauler over the years and have sold them all at a loss.  Over the last 10 years, I've been renting them either from private individuals or In business companies.  Cost a couple of bucks more per trip, but sure beats the cost of maintenance of keeping up a trailer or motor home.  JMHO  PS: I have a ecoboost also - used to have a Powerstroke, but both are up to the task of pulling just about anything under 30' !
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Wait until after hunting season . Price will drop . But has to be right after because if you wait , then dune season starts up
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're just as bad, I'm afraid. Before you do anything, first make sure your truck is set up
with a brake controller and know what your max tow is, so you can filter out stuff you can't do.
(I had Camping World really screw up my grand cherokee's electrical system and take 6 hours
to install a brake controller, something that's like an hour DIY.)

I don't recommend camping world. I had a friend who's GF worked at Little Dealer Little Prices and
she said it was a legit place, but their reviews are as bad as CW are.

For registration, it's like cars in that it gets cheaper over time. I got a 28' about 10 years ago,
the day I drove it off the lot my registration fee was $411 for a $25K trailer ($28K all in with
tax and reg.) This year the tags were $74.

Strongly advise buying used. There's a crapload of depreciation on these things.
Also mouseproof the hell out of it once you get it. There's also a pretty big thread on travel trailers
in GD.
View Quote
This. Do your due dillegence and research what you can tow and buy used. No way would I buy new or from a dealer ever, unless I won the lottery and didn't give a two shits about money.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Definitely rent a trailer before committing. My wife lined a 21' trailer up from some guy in Glendale through some local AirBnB-style site for our recent trip to the North Rim. Worked great for this one trip, but we have no plans to add a travel trailer since we normally primitive camp out of my truck and prefer the simplicity of that. I towed it with my 5.0L V8 F150, but I'd go with a Super Duty if I was seriously committed to the concept. Many of the long uphill sections north and east of the Valley warrant the extra towing ability. Oh, forget about fuel economy. I averaged 12.3 on that trip, when normally I get 20.3 around town.

And yes, CW blows chunks. Stay away from those jackals.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will say we use the Tepui mainly because we take the RZR when we go camping and it is already has a trailer.  So I would either need to have two trailers or leave it home.  We have to take the Tepui on and off everytime.  On day I am going to get off my ass in gear and weld a rack over the RZR so I can leave the Tepui on the trailer.
View Quote
I have an Idea like this but want to mount a Popup trailer on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top