Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2019 10:06:20 AM EDT
Driving up through Canada end of July next year. Coming in on the Alaska Highway to Fairbanks. North to Deadhorse and back south to visit wife's cousin in Seward and likely spend most of our time in the Kenai Penninsula. Any suggestions on nice primitive camping spots and mild backcountry trails? Also, any suggested FFL in Fairbanks. I'll bring a shotgun through Canada but my G20 I'd just as soon ship to myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Most any pull off is wilderness Alaska..normally you can find a gravel pit right off the road every so often..they make good camping spots generally..As for hiking trails..shouldn't be to big of an issue finding wheeler/buggy trails off the main roads at most pull offs..just got to look..regardless be very very careful/observant..Alaska is real wilderness and it is real wild even on the road when it comes to wild animals, let alone when you walk 50 foot off the road system....

Google maps is a great way to find parking spots/trails... they stand out like a sore thumb... Gotta be careful about camping/crossing over native lands(along most roads) but they should be clearly marked and there will always be a right of way on any original trail systems..If you have any question about them trying to ticket/charge you for crossing/camping...call the troopers..the natives have a tendency to try and bully people into paying them for no reason..Worthless fucktards that they are....

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=62.62989402809952%2C-141.02355429543695&spn=5.218099%2C10.986328&z=8&source=embed&mid=1o4e7XcqU_z4Ub_h01sdnK321xTY
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]

I'm pretty obsessive about planning trips...in my own way. I will pore over satellite images on Google Earth, paper Atlases, search internet forums (my personal favorite is fishing forums, if there's water with a fish in it fisherman will find a way to get there), talking to locals,etc. No worries about getting complacent about wild life. Had a bull moose scare the living shit out of me when it came right through camp as we were unpacking. Wife and kids in the tent setting up the beds.Had a Ruger LCP in my pocket but my G20 was in a bag 10 ft from me. My ass puckered so hard I could have sucked the bag up with my sphincter.  Never again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
@MadBodhi

One of my favorite places is just north of Seward, called Ptarmigan Lake.

The trailhead is right off the highway.  The trail to the lake and campsites is about 3.5 miles each way.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/alaska/ptarmigan-lake

The trail follows a salmon creek up to the long narrow glacial lake that feeds the creek from a waterfall.  The lake has trout if you have a license and want to fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top