Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2021 1:32:55 AM EDT
Many years ago I had to move to the big city.  This particular area had little no access to public hunting land nor did I have access to private land.  Since, at the time, it seemed that my chances of ever getting to hunt again were slim and none, I donated all my hunting clothing to charities.  I figured maybe it would end up in the hands of someone who couldn't otherwise afford quality camo.  

Fast forward many years and it's a better late than never situation and I find myself wanting to get back out to nature and looking at slowly building up my camo clothing supply again.  

I learned a long time ago that in most hunting the type, brand or pattern of camouflage doesn't mean a thing to the animals you're hunting.  Make smart choices about breaking up your human form and you're good to go.  While I'll probably end up buying whatever is cheapest but still looks like it won't fall apart I'm curious what camo pattern you guys think works best here in Georgia.  I was thinking RealTree Xtra looked very close to the environment around here.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I wear old army BDU's. I have shot lots of animals in jeans and a t-shirt
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear camo carhartts and a t-shirt.  The carhartts are only commo because there was a clearance otherwise they’d be normal.  Orange vest and orange hat where I hunt and you can’t break that up so I’ve learned animals don’t care as much as I thought they did.

Now predator or turkey hunting, that’s a whole other ball game.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy woodland/acu/multicam on sale, whatever is cheapest. Deer don't care. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy the Game Winner stuff from Academy. Whatever is cheapest. I don't think that I own two matching pieces of camo clothing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I was considering some surplus military stuff but seems like surplus is even more expensive than buying new hunting camo.  Assuming you don't buy Gucci-flauge of course.  Although, the milsurp stuff should be considerably more durable.  I don't care about pattern, as I said, it's just a clever way to separate hunters from their money but durability is important.

There's a surplus store here so I'll check it out before deciding.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sportsman's Guide or LA Police Gear online, Amazon,  Bass Pro Shops/Cabela's clearance section, Walmart clearance section right about now, etc. are all good places to look. I usually find my stuff on clearance or used.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Another place to check (albeit hit or miss) is Goodwill stores.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Ebay has reasonable prices on modern surplus ACU / BDU. I find the surplus mil stuff is better constructed and nowadays designed for hotter climates. Plus it makes you look like GI Joe.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer real tree xtra myself but I buy whatever academy has on clearance, if it sits long enough to get to 75% off then I don't care what it is.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
90% of the deer I've taken in the last 5 years, have been while I'm in shorts, flip flops/ crocs and a t-shirt. They never expected to be shot by a guy that was taking a piss
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
90% of the deer I've taken in the last 5 years, have been while I'm in shorts, flip flops/ crocs and a t-shirt. They never expected to be shot by a guy that was taking a piss
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
GA Deer hunters be like
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:30:11 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL.  Reminds me of a hunting trip I was on several years ago.  

One of my friends said he'd hunted all day and not seen anything.  He said he had also been fighting the urge to poop the whole time too but didn't want to spook anything by climbing out of the stand and popping a squat.  Finally he couldn't take it anymore and since he hadn't seen a single deer he climbed down and walked a ways from his stand.  He found a spot that suited him, dropped trou and started doing his business.  Suddenly several deer came running out of the woods and almost trampled him as he was squatted down. LOL.  He said that if only he had practiced shooting his bow while squatted down with his pants around his ankles he could have got a pretty nice deer LOL.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL.  Reminds me of a hunting trip I was on several years ago.  

One of my friends said he'd hunted all day and not seen anything.  He said he had also been fighting the urge to poop the whole time too but didn't want to spook anything by climbing out of the stand and popping a squat.  Finally he couldn't take it anymore and since he hadn't seen a single deer he climbed down and walked a ways from his stand.  He found a spot that suited him, dropped trou and started doing his business.  Suddenly several deer came running out of the woods and almost trampled him as he was squatted down. LOL.  He said that if only he had practiced shooting his bow while squatted down with his pants around his ankles he could have got a pretty nice deer LOL.

View Quote
That's EXACTLY how it happens...I stand by the toilet, hanging on for dear life while expelling the residual whiskey from the night before and see movement. SHIT! Yank shorts up, spray everywhere (sorry wifeyboo) and run to the room. Grab first long gun I can find and run around the side of the house. Aim - FUCK - red dot turned off - turn it on and get fur in the sight picture then BAM!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ebay has reasonable prices on modern surplus ACU / BDU. I find the surplus mil stuff is better constructed and nowadays designed for hotter climates. Plus it makes you look like GI Joe.
View Quote

The durability part is what has me considering surplus stuff.  I don't care about looking like GI Jane lol.  I don't even have the stuff from my military time.  I'm far too old, gimped up and out of shape to even pretend to be tactical.  

That said, I like the old jungle tiger stripe camo.  It looks like great camo for this area.  Unfortunately, it seems to be all cheap knockoff stuff that probably wouldn't last long in the woods and that defeats the purpose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top