Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2022 1:12:43 AM EDT
Cross posted in ARFCOM GD
====
"Calif. Agencies Told to End 'Good Cause' Requirement for Concealed Weapons Permit"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/calif-agencies-told-to-end-good-cause-requirement-for-concealed-weapons-permit/ar-AAYRLOm

Calif. Agencies Told to End 'Good Cause' Requirement for Concealed Weapons Permit
Times of San Diego  11 hrs ago

Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta has advised California law enforcement agencies that the “good cause” requirement for issuing a concealed weapons permit is likely unconstitutional and should no longer be used.

The advice came in a legal alert on Friday to “all California district attorneys, police chiefs, sheriffs, county counsels and city attorneys” and follows a U.S. Supreme Court decision on Thursday overturning New York State’s “proper cause” requirement.

“It is the Attorney General’s view that the court’s decision renders California’s good

cause standard to secure a permit to carry a concealed weapon in most public places

unconstitutional,” wrote Bonta. “Permitting agencies may no longer require a demonstration of good cause.”

However, Bonta said that local officials can continue to enforce all other parts of California gun laws, including taking fingerprints, performing background checks, mandating training and requiring the applicant provide proof of “good moral character.”

Bonta’s advisory emphasized the importance of determining good moral character and said this should be based on “personal characteristics one reasonably expects of candidates for a public-carry license who do not pose a danger to themselves or others.”

Though the good cause requirement is removed, he said “it remains reasonable — and constitutional — to ask applicants why they are interested in carrying their firearms in public.”

The Attorney General’s action was praised Saturday by the San Diego County Gun Owners Political Action Committee, a group that advocates for gun rights.

“Since our inception, we have been saying that the proof of good cause requirement is wrong and must go,” said Michael Schwartz, executive director of the group. “Removing arbitrary, subjective hurdles from the path for sane, trained, law-abiding gun owners to carry firearms outside the home for self defense will increase the number of people who can protect themselves from dangerous criminals.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.  I have to think this is a bigger deal for some counties rather than others.  I sort of wonder if there is some nervousness about trying to play their "Outraged" progressive games and knowing there are several California cases in or close to Supreme Court action.  My crystal ball suggests, breathless Dem pontificating aside, that there is limited chance the make up of the court is going to change much soon and if the House and Senate clearly go Republican, that will hurt any packing tries.  Likewise, they've seen what losing the Presidency does for courts so that has to be cauisng some of them ulcers.  I hope.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The actual notice sent by the Attorney General.

https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/media/legal-alert-oag-2022-02.pdf
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
"Although applicants do not need to demonstrate good cause for the issuance of a license, an applicant’s reasons for seeking a license may alert authorities to a need for psychological testing, be considered as part of the “good moral character” requirement..."

So, if you want a CCW, an anti-gunner could require psychological evaluation ("testing") as part of the process for 100% of the candidates.

There are all sorts of hurdles they can place in front of all candidates, given that they want to deny issuing.  That memo constitutes a list of them.

I remain skeptical of them, their motives and their process.

"Shall issue" is the only way to de-politicize this important issue.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I got this from San Mateo county after applying.  I think they will slow roll any action now on becoming shall issue.  My trust is low for them and I bet this will have to be settled in the courts again.

Thank you for your email inquiry and application. Our office is aware of the Supreme Court ruling and is in the process of reviewing/revising our policies and procedures to ensure we are in compliance.  Please check our website in the coming weeks for changes. Rest assured we have your application and will begin reviewing it as soon as possible.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Salano county is pushing them out if your not a dirtbag .

I’ll do mine this week and see how long it takes unless I say screw it again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got this from San Mateo county after applying.  I think they will slow roll any action now on becoming shall issue.  My trust is low for them and I bet this will have to be settled in the courts again.

View Quote

San Diego County has switched to shall-issue, but have not updated the application form to reflect the change.  I put "General self-defense and caring for two disabled people" on mine.

But they ARE apparently slow-rolling the application process (or maybe the Sheriff's Department is swamped beyond all belief.)  I put mine in online on Sunday, 6/26 (new application, not a renewal,) and the earliest date I could schedule my in-person meeting was April 3, 2023.  Not cool, but I will stick with it.  There doesn't appear to be any mechanism for being notified of cancellations and moving up the meeting time.  ETA but you can hit a "change appointment" button and scroll through the available dates.  I did that this morning, the earliest available was April 10.  So I cancelled out and stuck with April 3.

I posted a thread in GD about this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine just acquired one through San Mateo County.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A friend of mine just acquired one through San Mateo County.
View Quote

How long did the entire process take?
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's say they are staffed to process 3/month and they are swarmed with 1,000 applications.  Yeah, it's going to be a while before your application is processed.  

They may be in full compliance with the guidelines but no one is saying they have to staff up for the new demand.  

No one is sending extra budget to pay for staffing up, are they?

This is how they "drag their feet", yet remain in full compliance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#10]
my city has a 45-60 day turnaround with a 100% approval rate. :)
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know how things are going in LA County?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got my CCW. But, I live in a very pro-gun area in the Central Valley. I’m a happy Camper to say the least.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Solano county is pushing them out if your not a dirtbag .

I’ll do mine this week and see how long it takes unless I say screw it again.
View Quote

Yep, Tom Ferrara has been good for CCW in the county.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
My CCW application is moving forward.  I got the serial number on my S&W 342 corrected and set up an appointment for the required class.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My CCW application is moving forward.  I got the serial number on my S&W 342 corrected and set up an appointment for the required class.
View Quote

Where do you go to start the process?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Online.  The in-person visit is at a SDCSD office in San Diego.

https://www.sdsheriff.gov/i-want-to/get-a-permit-or-license/regulatory-licenses-and-fees/concealed-weapons-license

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top