Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2018 8:33:54 PM EDT
My wife and I moved to Columbia in June, and my work travel has finally calmed down enough for me to get my SC CWP. Is PSA Fernandina GTG? Are their instructors good with women/novice shooters?

Cuz I follow the rulz

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about Columbia, but if it's anything like Charleston or Ridgeland runs theirs it should be GTG.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My wife and I moved to Columbia in June, and my work travel has finally calmed down enough for me to get my SC CWP. Is PSA Fernandina GTG? Are their instructors good with women/novice shooters?

Cuz I follow the rulz

https://i.imgur.com/mGOoJyt.png
View Quote
They are good to go.  I shoot matches with the instructor.  He's a good, patient guy with a good attitude.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Cuz I follow the rulz

https://i.imgur.com/mGOoJyt.png
View Quote
All of the PSA locations that offer CWP classes are top notch and well-run. That said, do not go in there expecting shooting lessons and firearms handling instruction. This is a CWP class, not a basic firearms safety/operation class. There is a HUGE difference. PSA offers such instruction/classes but their CWP class is not that type of class. It is based solely on the required/mandated curriculum. The CWP class is designed to teach and familiarize the student with the legalities of concealed carrying a firearm. It is not intended to teach someone how to shoot or the basic functions of a firearm. Some private instructors add this into their class and the ones that do that aren't typically hosting 10+ students at a time. They're typically smaller classes if not one-on-one instruction. I only mention this because you asked about interacting with "novice shooters." If your wife would like or needs some private instruction, PSA can do that as well but the CWP class isn't the place to seek such instruction.

Talk to their range staff and explain your situation. They will point in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want an alternate call Faye and Jerry Stoudemire at Little Mountain Gun. They put on classes regularly. Their place is just outside of Little Mountain, SC and they are good people. They have their own training range not very far away. Phone 803 945 7677 or 803 345 5761.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Fernandina is good to go. Most of the class is in a sit-down classroom setting, know the 4 rules of firearm safety, when is deadly force justified, prohibited  locations, etc and you will be tested on it at the end of the lecture.

The shooting portion is the test to make sure you can hit the target. Gregg does a good job letting everyone know exactly how he wants them to fire, from which ready position, how many shots, etc. My SO shoots very little with me, we went to the range for an hour a few days before we took the class. We both got a 100 on the shooting portion. I think she outshot every other guy in the class. Have her use a 22 pistol if she is not a confident handgun shooter, the low recoil management will help a lot. Mine has an old hand injury and it really helped her stay on target.

Most of the shooting is pretty short distance. Only a handful were at the 15 or 20 yard mark. It's an easy test. You'll be shocked at how terrible most people in the class shoot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have her use a 22 pistol if she is not a confident handgun shooter, the low recoil management will help a lot.
View Quote
If you're saying for class, better check in with them and make sure that's kosher

5.You must have a gun .32 caliber or larger (if you do not own a firearm, we do have rentals available for an additional fee).
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you're saying for class, better check in with them and make sure that's kosher

5.You must have a gun .32 caliber or larger (if you do not own a firearm, we do have rentals available for an additional fee).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have her use a 22 pistol if she is not a confident handgun shooter, the low recoil management will help a lot.

Yes, she did call him and explain her injury to ask if she could use a .22 beforehand. I probably should have mentioned that. He had no problem with it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
What? No one recommended Instructor Earl?

World's Greatest Instructor - EVER - Instructor Earl

D.R.U.M. T.I.T.T.I.E.S.!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What? No one recommended Instructor Earl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9mawrWmUM

D.R.U.M. T.I.T.T.I.E.S.!!!!
View Quote
"My 1911 puts out way more than Debra"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top