Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2021 6:39:43 PM EDT
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2021/TOB/S/PDF/2021SB-00171-R00-SB.PDF

General Assembly Proposed Bill No. 171

Introduced by: SEN. LOONEY, 11th Dist.
AN ACT ESTABLISHING A STATE-WIDE TAX ON REAL PROPERTY.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:
That the general statutes be amended to establish a one mill state wide tax on commercial and residential real property, provided the first three hundred thousand dollars of the assessed value of a residential property shall be exempt from such tax.

Statement of Purpose:
To establish a state-wide tax on commercial and residential real property.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
These guys are prue scum
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Just The beginning.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Introduced by: SEN. LOONEY

Name checks out
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Introduced by: SEN. LOONEY

Name checks out
View Quote

As does his look...

Guy looks like he came straight out of a Hollywood casting call for an evil nefarious politician.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Can someone dumb it down for me
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tax on any house assessed over 300k
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

A new state assessed tax on anyone who owns a home or business/commercial property when the assessed value of that property is at or above $300,000.

So in addition to local property tax, one would now have to pay (if bill is passed/enacted) what is essentially a state property tax on their property.

It probably also will incentivize (somehow) the state to push town property assessors to inflate the value of the property to generate more tax revenue for the state.

I'd wager they ran the numbers and found that most homes and commercial/business property in the state is above the $300,000 threshold. Renters who think this won't impact them (because they're sheep) are going to be shocked when their rents rise to cover the new tax. It also will drive up prices across the board for everyone as businesses pass through this tax to their customers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Looney is all about taxes. Raise 'em here, raise 'em there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Got to get out of this state. Maybe 3 more years than that's CT in the rear view mirror
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe they’re calling this a luxury home tax. Not sure when a 300k assessment came into luxury territory
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
The assessment value is usually less that the purchase price.  So probably anything over 450k will get taxed as well as businesses. It's Still not right.

I wonder if they will take Sikorsky's cock out of their mouths and tax their buildings.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe they’re calling this a luxury home tax. Not sure when a 300k assessment came into luxury territory
View Quote

And we all know that amount will never get adjusted for inflation over time so the number of homes being taxed grows every year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the explanation
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And we all know that amount will never get adjusted for inflation over time so the number of homes being taxed grows every year.
View Quote

That is the plan. Pass it as a luxury tax. Within 10 years it becomes a middle class tax. In 20 years it is a tax for every property owner.

This is how income tax worked. Less than 5% of the country had to pay income tax when first passed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The assessment value is usually less that the purchase price.  So probably anything over 450k will get taxed as well as businesses. It's Still not right.

I wonder if they will take Sikorsky's cock out of their mouths and tax their buildings.

View Quote

Or Yale University
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or Yale University
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or Yale University

Yes. I read an article how they own like 20 percent of the land in newhaven and they have a huge tax shortage.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#17]
To be fair, New Haven's fiscal issues are only partly on Yale's tax-exempt status. The city is broken, and going into a -$66M hole this coming year.

That's not just Yale. That's union negotiations, puffed up contracts, pension obligations, massive overtime within the Fire Department (who respond to ALL EMS calls for some reason), COVID impacts, terrible real estate decisions (like selling land for $1...), etc.

New Haven needs to declare bankruptcy.

Sen. Looney has been pitching a larger share of PILOT and taxing the rich to help New Haven, but New Haven is in such a shitty state (pun intended) largely due to self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the head and heart.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Or Yale University
View Quote

Yale is just one part of New Haven's problems. The rest are all self inflicted by current and past New Haven; mayor's, alderman's, various committees, boards and commissions. They've all conspired to drive the city into the ground. They're trapped by their Democratic ideology and by having to pander to Democratic voters and neighborhood power brokers in order to be elected/reelected.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:00:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I will pass every cent on to my renters.

Every cent.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Every cent.
View Quote

They won't pay rent if they decide they no longer want to. Good luck getting rid of them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They won't pay rent if they decide they no longer want to. Good luck getting rid of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every cent.

<-----Not a slumlord, and I'm more familiar with landlord/tenant issues than most. Trust.

Every one of my tenants has a credit check, background check, etc. I do my homework.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<-----Not a slumlord, and I'm more familiar with landlord/tenant issues than most. Trust.

Every one of my tenants has a credit check, background check, etc. I do my homework.
View Quote

Ok, good luck with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yale is just one part of New Haven's problems. The rest are all self inflicted by current and past New Haven; mayor's, alderman's, various committees, boards and commissions. They've all conspired to drive the city into the ground. They're trapped by their Democratic ideology and by having to pander to Democratic voters and neighborhood power brokers in order to be elected/reelected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or Yale University

I'm not a fan of Yale for a variety of reasons but without them New Haven would be an open tire fire.  Years ago there was a plan, a very advanced plan, to move the entire school to land they owned in Litchfield County instead of investing billions in New Haven to redo what they had.  It was actually cheaper to build a brand new school.

Obviously, they decided to stay and I'm glad if only to preserve  a huge part of the history of the school and city.  But imagine if they had left.  Could businesses have moved in and reshaped the city without Yale?  Sure.  Could I be hit by space debris when I go out side?  Sure.  I believe it would be a disaster.  I always thought Hartford was worse than New Haven.  Not anymore.  They are both poorly run, crime ridden dumps.   Sad actually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top