Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2022 8:19:01 AM EDT
The regular legislative session for 2022 has ended and it appears the only language affecting gun owners (or buying guns) that was passed and headed to the Governor is the requirement to notify local police in the town a person resides in if that person fails the long gun or hand gun background check at point of sale/transfer.

H.B. No. 5417: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillstatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB-5417

House Amendment Schedule A: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2022/amd/H/pdf/2022HB-05417-R00HA-AMD.pdf
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#1]
What will this do to gun store transactions where to purchaser gets a temporary denial? Happened to me on my last purchase. Issue was resolved while I waited. Never had a problem prior to this purchase.

So would an electronic message go out to my local PD right on initial incorrect denial? You arrive home with your new purchase only to find a cruiser in your driveway?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What will this do to gun store transactions where to purchaser gets a temporary denial? Happened to me on my last purchase. Issue was resolved while I waited. Never had a problem prior to this purchase.

So would an electronic message go out to my local PD right on initial incorrect denial? You arrive home with your new purchase only to find a cruiser in your driveway?
View Quote

Not sure how this works with a temp denial. All the language states is; "that there exists a reason that would prohibit such applicant from possessing a pistol or revolver" (or a long gun).

The new language apparently does not appear to tell police what to do once notified of the denial. How many departments will expend resources to follow up (what ever that means or entails) on people being denied? A lot remains to be seen exactly how this will work and what if anything local departments will do. If we start seeing a rash of warrants executed to confiscate guns by the locals over being notified of the denials I could see that being an issue for someone incorrectly denied (that happens often to some).
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

A temporary denial is different from a denial. TDs are extremely common especially on the new system. Shop calls, and a "manual" check is initiated, then an authorization is issued.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A temporary denial is different from a denial. TDs are extremely common especially on the new system. Shop calls, and a "manual" check is initiated, then an authorization is issued.
View Quote

Temporary Denial is our state POC term for delay, in other words that the transfer authorization can't be processed automatically. Unlike many states, which use the federal system exclusively, Connecticut requires an approval in order for a transfer to occur (and a transfer can happen until that authorization occurs).

Actual denials in Connecticut are fairly rare (because of our system requiring a permit or eligibility certificate to purchase).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top