Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2023 9:57:00 AM EDT
They are taking over!  We are now using more CR 2032s than AA batteries

Doing a quick mental inventory around our house and cars has me at 34 CR2032s in use and I am sure I missed a few.

We've started buying the big cards of the Energizers at Sam's.

Is there any real difference between brands and what is the realist shelf life of these?

CR123 are getting pretty common in our house also.  Alarm sensors, CO sensors, sights, & flashlights.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Those, CR2016's, and CR2024's, along with LR44's. Since they are lithium batteries, they have a long shelf life. I get mine in bulk on Amazon. I also quit buying the cheap AAA powered flashlights since after the first set of batteries they get so corroded as to be useless. All of the smaller flashlights I use have 18650 rechargeable batteries.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting your total, surprisingly high if that doesn't include various red dots.
I forced some stockpiling by having a monthly shipment of 2032 and lithium AAs via Amazon Subscribe and Save.  Then once got a supply I shifted the times back to yearly or whatever actual usage is, to keep some fresh stuff rotating through.  That reduced the $$ ouch factor of buying a bunch at once to get a proper stockpile.

Considering I used to try buying bulk from Ebay or 3rd-party sellers on Amazon to get decent prices, the Amazon Basics stuff seems to be fine and at least (probably) isn't 10 years old already when it gets to you.  I guess I go for quantity of 80% just-as-gud.

Edit: All usage of AA in the house is rechargeables unless I'm sure it won't be coming back to me.  But litiums around for emergencies.  Prefer everything as 18650 for sure.  Was happy to find AA-powered multimeters instead of 9V stuff, although I do theoretically have some rechargeables in 9V size, haven't tested.  
Also happy to find laser rangefinders with internal battery.  That has its own problems but at least it's not the only thing in the house that uses CR2 batteries.  I got the rangefinder and was like WTF is this battery?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait until you discover how 18650 batteries are better than CR123s and are rechargeable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait until you discover how 18650 batteries are better than CR123s and are rechargeable.
View Quote

Yup. A CR123 is ~3.3v whereas an 18650 is ~4.2v. Meaning two CR123s produce a bit more voltage than a single 18650. Which isn't a *huge* deal, but the next factor plays a much more pivotal role when it comes to life.

If you run a CR123 containing 900mAh of stored power and another with 1200mAh of stored power in series, how much stored power out do you have? Answer: 900mAh. Batteries run in series combine voltages, but only have the stored capacity of the lowest cell.

The single 18650 will have a capacity of 2000-3000mAh depending upon manufacturer and chemistry. Most you'll see out of a CR123 is 1500mAh.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Only problem I have with them is that they can be a death sentence to a kid if swallowed. Really question those kid toys that have a form factor that can take AA but they insist on button batteries. Cost more too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interesting your total, surprisingly high if that doesn't include various red dots.
I forced some stockpiling by having a monthly shipment of 2032 and lithium AAs via Amazon Subscribe and Save.  Then once got a supply I shifted the times back to yearly or whatever actual usage is, to keep some fresh stuff rotating through.  That reduced the $$ ouch factor of buying a bunch at once to get a proper stockpile.

Considering I used to try buying bulk from Ebay or 3rd-party sellers on Amazon to get decent prices, the Amazon Basics stuff seems to be fine and at least (probably) isn't 10 years old already when it gets to you.  I guess I go for quantity of 80% just-as-gud.

Edit: All usage of AA in the house is rechargeables unless I'm sure it won't be coming back to me.  But litiums around for emergencies.  Prefer everything as 18650 for sure.  Was happy to find AA-powered multimeters instead of 9V stuff, although I do theoretically have some rechargeables in 9V size, haven't tested.  
Also happy to find laser rangefinders with internal battery.  That has its own problems but at least it's not the only thing in the house that uses CR2 batteries.  I got the rangefinder and was like WTF is this battery?
View Quote

Will using two CR2 in place of one AA hurt a flashlight?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will using two CR2 in place of one AA hurt a flashlight?
View Quote

I believe that CR2s are 3 volts, a single AA is 1.5V...it'd probably burnout the bulb/LED.  A AA battery is 14mm in diameter while a CR2 is 15.6mm, so it may not fit in the flashlight.

mm
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Dollar Tree
2 pack of Panasonic $1.25
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#9]
(DOUBLE TAP)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top