Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/17/2021 8:37:26 PM EDT
Who and how to you notify CLEO of NFA purchase?
In know the CLEO copy of Form 4 is used.
But to who and how?   Is this mandatory?
Specifically Franklin County.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in greene county,  took mine to the sheriff's office in xenia.  They asked why I wanted an nfa item then promptly filed it in the round file.(trash can)

You need to "let them know"  it's up to the county if they care as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's mandatory, at least for individuals.  I don't know about trusts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've just mailed the paper to the address on the Sheriff's office website.

First post since joining in 2006!
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i always send mine to the attorney general. whats kind of nice is they always send it back saying "we dont do anything with these" (im paraphrasing of course).
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to do for C&L. I sent a certified notice to sheriff.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The rule of thumb for which local agency to contact is if you called the police, who would show up.  Not sure if that's your exact question or not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
It has been a while, but assuming nothing has changed, it is mandatory for an individual.  I don't think it is if you are using a trust (but I could be wrong).

I knew the Chef in the city I lived in.  I explained to him what I wanted to buy and that I needed his signature.  I told him it was just him acknowledging that someone in his jurisdiction would be purchasing a particular item and he was aware of it.  He signed it with no issues.  I have heard other stories where chiefs/sheriffs flat-out refused to sign.  I believe that's one of the reasons guys started using trusts more?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It has been a while, but assuming nothing has changed, it is mandatory for an individual.  I don't think it is if you are using a trust (but I could be wrong).

I knew the Chef in the city I lived in.  I explained to him what I wanted to buy and that I needed his signature.  I told him it was just him acknowledging that someone in his jurisdiction would be purchasing a particular item and he was aware of it.  He signed it with no issues.  I have heard other stories where chiefs/sheriffs flat-out refused to sign.  I believe that's one of the reasons guys started using trusts more?
View Quote

CLEO sign off is no longer required for individuals. It was replaced with a CLEO notification form.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've just mailed the paper to the address on the Sheriff's office website.

First post since joining in 2006!
View Quote

Likewise. Russell Martin in Delaware Co. for me. 4 of them so far..

Bet they roundfile them as well.

And OP! Way to lurk!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i always send mine to the attorney general. whats kind of nice is they always send it back saying "we dont do anything with these" (im paraphrasing of course).
View Quote
I've heard that Silencer Shop sends the paperwork that they do on behalf of their Ohio customers to Dave Yost's office.  I'm guessing they've done a few and know what works.

The address for his office is:

Attorney General Dave Yost
Department of Justice
30 E Broad St
14th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in greene county,  took mine to the sheriff's office in xenia.  They asked why I wanted an nfa item then promptly filed it in the round file.(trash can)

You need to "let them know"  it's up to the county if they care as far as I can tell.
View Quote

Same reason I have a muffler on my car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I just dropped off my form 1 to my local PD and addressed it to the chief as an FYI. Don’t require signature anymore.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup sent one to AG (per Silencer Shop) and another to the head of OSP, neither seemed to want it
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Mailed mine certified to police chief. Also a trust
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CLEO sign off is no longer required for individuals. It was replaced with a CLEO notification form.
View Quote

That's good.  I had a thread here around 2005 where I wrote to everyone that could sign at the city, county, and state level.  They all refused.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top