Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 4/1/2021 11:27:14 PM EDT
Everyone who's been trying to renew a CHL knows it's hard to get an appointment. Mine expires in July and I've been trying for months to get an appointment at Lake county. I live in Cuyahoga, but the Lake office is way better to deal with. But the appointment scheduler has always returned "no availability".

Yesterday I had an inspiration and waited until midnight. At 11:59 pm I hit the "schedule appointment" button, no dice. But as soon as the computer clock struck 12:00 midnight I hit "schedule appointment" again. Bingo, the schedule for June 30th appeared. I booked an appointment and received a confirmation email. I don't know how long they lasted but as of this morning there was no availability again.

So if you're looking for an appointment in a county with an online scheduler, try waiting until exactly midnight.

Edit - corrected date from June 31 to June 30
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool work-around!
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#2]
June 31st ? You may want to check your calendar,.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
June 31st ? You may want to check your calendar,.
View Quote

Whoops, June 30
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
On a day you are free and don’t have anything better to do, just walk in and see if they’ll take you.  I had a 1030 appointment to renew mine in Ashland.  I showed up an hour early.  The guy ahead of me was just finishing up so I went up to the window and they took care of business.  They never asked if I had an appointment or what time I was supposed to be there.  
I think some of the busier urban/suburban sheriff’s only want to process the minimum amount of applications.  I’m pretty sure Lorain co. schedules one applicant every 30 minutes.  That’s why they’re booked out into July and august right now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Portage County is another solid pro 2a sheriffs dept.  Medina, cuyahoga, and summit aren't very good to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Portage County is another solid pro 2a sheriffs dept.  Medina, cuyahoga, and summit aren't very good to deal with.
View Quote

Just a note, if you have a sheriff office or individual there that is great to deal with on CHLs drop the sheriff a note thanking them.

They generally only hear the complaints so a quick 'thanks' can go a long way to strengthen the sheriff/gun-owner relationship.

JLE
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Got the wife an appointment with Sandusky county last Tuesday.

The whole process didn't take but about five minutes in the office. I was impressed! Every renewal I've been to has been 15-20 minutes or so, plus wait.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top