Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2023 4:23:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fyeguy]
Has anyone dealt with a CHL denial in Beaver County? My nephew got an immediate denial based on the Pennsylvania Instant Check System. Looks like it never even made it to NICS.

I don't think he has any form of criminal record. He may have a medical cannabis card, but I am not certain.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 8:49:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#1]
Just FYI, a medical marijuana card makes him a prohibited person and will cause a carry license denial. Card holders are added to PICS and will fail a check. If he is not a medical card holder and has no criminal record he should obviously appeal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mak0:
Just FYI, a medical marijuana card makes him a prohibited person and will cause a carry license denial. Card holders are added to PICS and will fail a check. If he is not a medical card holder and has no criminal record he should obviously appeal.
View Quote

Thanks... he claims no to both. Contacted a lawyer, who told him to appeal, and then come to them once the State provides a reason for the denial.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fyeguy:

Thanks... he claims no to both. Contacted a lawyer, who told him to appeal, and then come to them once the State provides a reason for the denial.
View Quote

He might try filing a FOIA request before the appeal.  In the appeal form you agree to the following:

"I hereby authorize the Pennsylvania State Police to receive any documents, including
mental health documents, as well as physician’s determination relating to commitment,
necessary to make a determination with regard to this challenge. I waive any rights to
confidentiality in these documents by signing this certification."

So you basically allow them to go through your medical and other records to find a reason to deny you without knowing what their reason for denial actually is. I'd want to know their reason for denial before allowing them to go on a fishing expedition.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Just as an aside, PICS queries NICS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#5]
There could be any number of reasons for this.

Similar name comes to mind. I met someone that had a hard time getting a gun once because of the instant check. Seems when it got ironed out he had the same name of some hatchet murderer or something.

Remember, machines do not think. A while ago when my DL wouldn't scan they could not let me buy a crummy can of beer and I'm 71.

I would up getting my beer bought for me by a teenager with a bogus ID that did scan.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By shaggy:

He might try filing a FOIA request before the appeal.  In the appeal form you agree to the following:

"I hereby authorize the Pennsylvania State Police to receive any documents, including
mental health documents, as well as physician’s determination relating to commitment,
necessary to make a determination with regard to this challenge. I waive any rights to

So you basically allow them to go through your medical and other records to find a reason to deny you without knowing what their reason for denial actually is. I'd want to know their reason for denial before allowing them to go on a fishing expedition.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shaggy:
Originally Posted By fyeguy:

Yup. And all they have to do is find ONE SINGLE liberal doctor that thinks NOBODY should have a permit and you're screwed.

If I were you I'd try and find a simpatico Trooper somewhere and see if he can help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top