Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2021 3:47:38 PM EDT
Does anyone have a line on 1# bottles of CFE223?  

I've all but given up on finding the 6.5 Grendel ammo I need so I'm hoping to find some powder and primers to make my own.  We already have the presses, the dies and the brass so it's down to powder and primers since projectiles aren't super hard to locate.  

I came across some Hornady 123 grn SST ammo but at $2.25 per round it was just too much.  

Our current loading experience is limited to pistol calibers (9mm, .38/.357 mag and .45 Colt) but we do have the dies and such for almost every caliber we own.  This is the time to step up into rifle cartridges assuming I can find the powder.

I'm choosing to start out with CFE223 because it's popular with Grendel loaders and I think it represents my best chance at developing a successful load with such limited availability of components these days.

I absolutely hate the idea of not being able to get my new rifle build on the range this year.  I finished it just in time to get a rough sight in before Covid hit so it's still basically brand new.  It's not a super Gucci build but it took me years of gather parts and getting parts for my birthday and such to complete and I don't want to have to wait a whole nother year to get to shoot it.  

Even suggestions on places to get on a waiting list are appreciated.  I'm not familiar with the best online or local GA sources for powder so any suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Keep an eye on Powder Valley, CFE 223 drops pretty regularly. For Grendel, BL-C2, AR-comp, and 8208XBR will be good options. Also, if you don’t mind the cost, AIM Surplus has 6.5 grendel in stock.
https://aimsurplus.com/ppu-prvi-partizan-6-5-grendel-110grn-fmj-ammunition-20rd-box/

ETA: Powder Valley, Natchez, and Midsouth Shooters have been getting powder pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn’t 8208xbr the go to 6.5grendel powder? It’s a bit harder to find, but it’s amazing stuff.

CFE is temp sensitive. You’ll get decent velocity, but you may be chasing a load due to temp variations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep an eye on Powder Valley, CFE 223 drops pretty regularly. For Grendel, BL-C2, AR-comp, and 8208XBR will be good options. Also, if you don’t mind the cost, AIM Surplus has 6.5 grendel in stock.
https://aimsurplus.com/ppu-prvi-partizan-6-5-grendel-110grn-fmj-ammunition-20rd-box/

ETA: Powder Valley, Natchez, and Midsouth Shooters have been getting powder pretty regularly.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll check them out.  The PP ammo isn't known for its accuracy potential and that's what I'm trying to determine with this rifle.  As of right now I have no idea what kind of groups it's going to print.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Isn’t 8208xbr the go to 6.5grendel powder? It’s a bit harder to find, but it’s amazing stuff.

CFE is temp sensitive. You’ll get decent velocity, but you may be chasing a load due to temp variations.
View Quote

I was concerned with that at first but the people using it said they aren't having any issues even with large fluctuations in temperature.  I have no idea because I have no experience with CFE.  I was just going by what I've read from those loading 6.5 Grendel with it.

I've not seen anyone mention 8208xbr for the Grendel or at least not enough that it was on my radar.  I'll definitely look into it.  Since I have zero experience loading 6.5 it's all new to me.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Whereabouts are you located ?
I was in a shop on Friday that had cfe223 on the shelf.
They had Varget also.
I picked up 4lbs of Varget but already had plenty of cfe so I passed on that.

PM me if you are in North Atlanta 'burbs.
Not posting any names here or the place will get bumrushed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
We live in Snellville.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We live in Snellville.
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
8208 was my choice over cfe before I went to the Valkyrie
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I like CFE223 with a 123 in my Grendel - shot a bunch of that load. In general, CFE223 and AA2520 will give higher velocities. TAC, AR COMP, and XBR8208 seem to be discussed on the forums. Recently seen Leverlution mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#10]
It turns up about every 2 months at Academy
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#11]
@Brandi
If you haven’t found any CFE yet, Third generation shooting supply has a bunch in stock. If you don’t mind shipping and hazmat fees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
No cfe223 but I have most of a pound of AA2230 which is listed for a lot of grendel loads. I probably have unopened cans of blc2 and the vhitvouri 133 or 135 I have seen listed as well.

A local guy used to stock varget which is fairly universal I can check what he's got if you want that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Scheels has Hornady 123gr SST in stock... it's a great bullet for the Grendel.

Midway and Brownell's HAD CF223 yesterday but it went fast.

IMR 8208XBR is excellent but extremely hard to get... I'm down to six pounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Scheels has Hornady 123gr SST in stock... it's a great bullet for the Grendel.

Midway and Brownell's HAD CF223 yesterday but it went fast.

IMR 8208XBR is excellent but extremely hard to get... I'm down to six pounds.
View Quote

I managed to get a 1# bottle of CFE223 from Brownells, so thanks.  I'm surprised they still had any in stock.

I didn't want to have to order online but times being what they are...  Hopefully, Brownells doesn't pull some bs and claim it's out of stock after ordering like some other companies do.  

The Hornady 123 grain SST is the bullet I plan on using.  

Unfortunately having to replace our entire HVAC system last week pretty much killed any unnecessary spending.  I'm actually second guessing the powder purchase already but dang it, I really, really, really want to shoot my now old but new rifle build.  With cooler weather a little closer on the calendar it's calling my name.  Now I just have to get the bullets and then bow down to the gun gods and pray for primers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I managed to get a 1# bottle of CFE223 from Brownells, so thanks.  I'm surprised they still had any in stock.

I didn't want to have to order online but times being what they are...  Hopefully, Brownells doesn't pull some bs and claim it's out of stock after ordering like some other companies do.  

The Hornady 123 grain SST is the bullet I plan on using.  

Unfortunately having to replace our entire HVAC system last week pretty much killed any unnecessary spending.  I'm actually second guessing the powder purchase already but dang it, I really, really, really want to shoot my now old but new rifle build.  With cooler weather a little closer on the calendar it's calling my name.  Now I just have to get the bullets and then bow down to the gun gods and pray for primers.
View Quote

I feel ya... my complete AC system was replaced a few months ago.

I don't recreationally shoot my 6.8, 6.5, 6x45, .50 Beowulf, or TAC 30... strictly zero confirmation from time to time and 100-150 rounds a year on coyotes, deer, and hogs so a couple pounds of powder goes far for me... my .223 and .308 not so much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
That reminds me, I need to get the Beowulf out.  It has a new scope and needs sighting in.  Fortunately, I still have some ammo for that one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That reminds me, I need to get the Beowulf out.  It has a new scope and needs sighting in.  Fortunately, I still have some ammo for that one.
View Quote

I bought a bunch of brass and Rainer 334gr plated bullets years ago... with the recommended load of 37.0grs Lil'Gun I'm hitting the advertised 1900 FPS.

Kills hogs well...

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The FMJ Ranier are what I have the most of (factory Alexander Arms ammo).  I have a box or two of the solid brass spitzer's just in case an angry rhino shows up around the house lol.

I have the guns and the ammo, it's locating a place to hunt hogs that I don't have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top